English Español
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Anyone Watch Pacquiao-Horn a Second Time and Modify Their Opinion?

Did Anyone Watch Pacquiao-Horn a Second Time and Modify Their Opinion?

I've spoken with several people who watched the fight live and then again the next night and thought that the fight was closer the second time around.

On various web sites, people who only watched the replay are writing that they saw a close fight and that the controversy over the decision was overblown.

If you feel that way too, there is a precedent.

When Larry Holmes fought Gerry Cooney, the scores through the 12 completed rounds favored Holmes 113-111, 113-111, and 115-109. But Cooney had three points deducted for low blows. So if it had been a 12-round fight instead of a 15-round fight, Cooney would have theoretically won a split decision.

Those two 113-111 scores were nuts in the eyes of most of the media. Dave Anderson of the NY Times, who gave Cooney only two rounds, wrote that what the judges saw was a pigment of their imagination. But when the fight was aired on a tape delay, many people thought the fight was a lot closer than how most ringside scribes had it.

Here's my take: Yes, the 117-111 tally for Horn was preposterous. The verdict should have gone to Pacquiao. However, Teddy Atlas's tally (117-111) was too wide; Horn was more competitive than that.

What say?

Re: Did Anyone Watch Pacquiao-Horn a Second Time and Modify Their Opinion?

I watched the fight again and had the same score as I did the first time in 115-113 for Pac.

The compubox numbers do not support Horn. But as we all know with compubox, they do not measure how hard the punches were that landed or how clean. Plus, its human operating the system and making split second judgment calls watching the fight.

Horn landed very cleanly on Pac and the harder shots in some of those close rounds that some argued should have gone to Pac based on volume and flashiness. I probably gave all the close rounds to Horn hence why I came up with the 115-113 card.

My wife did not watch with me a second time but when we watched it the first time my initial reaction was that we'd see a draw. I thought we'd see 115-113 each way and 114-114. It was a close fight and my opinion has not changed upon watching again.

I watched the fight again and had the same score as I did the first time in 115-113 for Pac.

The compubox numbers do not support Horn. But as we all know with compubox, they do not measure how hard the punches were that landed or how clean. Plus, its human operating the system and making split second judgment calls watching the fight.

Horn landed very cleanly on Pac and the harder shots in some of those close rounds that some argued should have gone to Pac based on volume and flashiness. I probably gave all the close rounds to Horn hence why I came up with the 115-113 card.

My wife did not watch with me a second time but when we watched it the first time my initial reaction was that we'd see a draw. I thought we'd see 115-113 each way and 114-114. It was a close fight and my opinion has not changed upon watching again.

By Friday night it will commonly accepted that Horn won.

Wait for it...

Quote Originally Posted by KO Digest View Post

Wait for it...
    Wait for what? It won't take till Friday. Horn DID win the fight. You can gripe about the decision, throw out nonsense conspiracy theories, call it a participation trophy like that moron Teddy Atlas but one thing will never change...Horn won. Just like Muhammad Ali WON the third fight with Ken Norton. Just like Sugar Ray Leonard WON his fight with Hagler. Just like Tim Bradley WON his first fight with Pac....it's a judged sport girls. Totally subjective. Deal with it.

Wait for it...
    Wait for what? It won't take till Friday. Horn DID win the fight. You can gripe about the decision, throw out nonsense conspiracy theories, call it a participation trophy like that moron Teddy Atlas but one thing will never change...Horn won. Just like Muhammad Ali WON the third fight with Ken Norton. Just like Sugar Ray Leonard WON his fight with Hagler. Just like Tim Bradley WON his first fight with Pac....it's a judged sport girls. Totally subjective. Deal with it.

You're very advanced Brad.

Give regular folks the rest of the week.

I'm very "advanced?" wow....coming from an "auxiliary" member of the BWAA that's high praise.

I'm very "advanced?" wow....coming from an "auxiliary" member of the BWAA that's high praise.

Whateva Rubba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast