English Español
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Rigondeaux on Upset Alert?

Is Rigondeaux on Upset Alert?

A lot of attention in boxing circles this week on the Ward-Kovalev rematch and of course on the announcement of Mayweather-McGregor.

Falling thru the cracks a bit is the return of Guillermo Rigondeaux on the undercard of Ward-Kovalev II. He will be facing an undefeated fighter (25-0) in Moises Flores.

Rigondeaux is one of the finest boxers many of us have ever seen. Some hardcore fans absolutely love the guy and others go a different route as many of his fights tend to be one sided affairs that lack action. Generally speaking so far in his pro career, Rigondeaux has won all his fights with relative ease and in dominant manner. But the lack of excitement in his bouts has scared off tv networks and he has found it difficult to stay active with the money he wants to make without support from the networks.

Most felt when this fight was made, initially ticketed for the undercard of Cotto-Kirkland but pushed back after that cancellation, that this would be another one sided Rigondeaux domination. But I have been studying Flores. He could present challenges to Rigondeaux. First, Flores is freakishly tall for this division at 5'9". For comparisons sake, Rigondeaux stands 5'4". The height could cause Rigondeaux some issues. Flores at times uses that height but likes to mix it up on the inside too. As a matter of fact, he is a very good inside fighter and almost prefers to be in the pocket. He is not afraid to let his hands go and exchange unlike some past Rigondeaux opponents. Flores is heavy handed and can fight. I see him pushing Rigondeaux here and making Rigondeaux feel uncomfortable. Another factor to consider is Rigondeaux's age. Do we really know? He has shown some chinks in the armor of late and the possibility of getting old overnight could happen. Don't sleep on this fight and unlike some Rigondeaux contests don't necessarily feel like you need a pot of coffee on hand. This could be a good fight and I like the underdog (+425 right now) Flores to spring a surprise.
    Last edited by oubobcat; 06-16-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Advanced Users

Re: Is Rigondeaux on Upset Alert?

Jamaican-Cuban Willie Rigo will make it another one-sided scrap. Dude is a boksing god in dat squared jungle. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Jamaican-Cuban Willie Rigo will make it another one-sided scrap. Dude is a boksing god in dat squared jungle. Holla!
    I don't think we see a one sided fight. Flores is an excellent fighter and can fight both tall as well as on the inside. Rigo is going to find himself in a fight, the question will be how will he respond and will his age start to show? Flores is not a 4-1 underdog and the more I watch him fight the more I like him tomorrow.

I don't think we see a one sided fight. Flores is an excellent fighter and can fight both tall as well as on the inside. Rigo is going to find himself in a fight, the question will be how will he respond and will his age start to show? Flores is not a 4-1 underdog and the more I watch him fight the more I like him tomorrow.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I will gentleman bet cha dat J-Cuban Willie Rigo beat him like he stole something. Hehehe! Holla!

Advanced Users

I will gentleman bet cha dat J-Cuban Willie Rigo beat him like he stole something. Hehehe! Holla!

You are on, I am so confident in Flores winning that I will give you even money on this one.

You are on, I am so confident in Flores winning that I will give you even money on this one.

According Bovada, $100 on a Ward/Flores parley would pay out $787. I will soon be making a phone call to my brother who is out on Vegas this week to get in on this.

According Bovada, $100 on a Ward/Flores parley would pay out $787. I will soon be making a phone call to my brother who is out on Vegas this week to get in on this.

Relatively easy fight for a Rigo that's not even back in peak form.

Cheers,

Storm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast