English Español
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three Punch Combo: Thoughts on Garcia vs. Broner, Brandon Rios, and More

Re: Three Punch Combo: Thoughts on Garcia vs. Broner, Brandon Rios, and More

There is no scenario I see Broner winning as I have watched more and more tape of both Broner and Garcia. Beyond the outside the ring stuff, inside the ring Broner is just so flawed. Athletically gifted yes but that along with good (great) matchmaking has got him to where he is now. But watch him against Daniel Ponce De Leon six years ago and then more recently against Porter and Granados. He still makes the same mistakes. He still fights in just spots, with tons of dead spots in which he is out hustled. His left is always held low and he frequently squares up out of position. He still pulls straight back with his hands down and chin exposed. How after six years has none of this been even remotely corrected?

Broner loses if this fights goes off. One thing, Broner and his team have to be reading opinions on this fight from those involved in the sport. Opinions are much like most on this forum that Broner gets exposed. Could Broner and team maybe start having second thoughts at some point? Maybe a convenient injury pops up that postpones things...

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Tale of the tape.

Garcia has a 70" reach vs Broner's 69.5" reach.

To put that into perspective Floyd has a 72" reach while Canelo Alvarez posses a 70.5" reach.

Garcia is 5',7" Broner is 5',6" in height.

But despite the numbers Broner is a natural full weight class (of raw muscle) heavier than Garcia.

He struggled to make 143.5lbs in his 2015 catchweight bout against Porter. Porter made 144lbs with ease while Broner's weight was in doubt until he finally hit the scales.

Against Granados recently Broner made 146.5lbs during their competitive welterweight clash.

Mikey last fought at lightweight.

Mikey Garcia looks smooth without much definition but just beneath the surface Mikey is literally rippling with pure muscle.

Broner who is much more defined visually is equally powerful (if not more so).

Since Broner's XIII personal episode outside of the ring which may have involed police intervention, embarassing social media videos, strippers, alchohol, an altercation, and possibly all of the above **** Broner has again announced he's had a "Come to Jesus" style awakening where he claims to have had yet another epiphany regarding his turbulent boxing career and vows to avoid all distractions, and move his training camp to a calmer, more isolated surrounding while he dedicates himself like a Shoalin Monk during his preparation for Garcia.

I usually go with the bigger guy if both fighters have similar physical attributes and their skill levels are close.

But I'll have to wait and see where Broner's head is at halfway through training camp to make an educated guess.

For the present, Mikey has to be the prohibitive favorite based on his history.

I'm hearing reports that AB is basically on weight (within 10 pounds). AB is the underdog as far as betting goes and many of the boxing pundits have written him off too, but if he comes in shape to the fight with his mind right, Mikey has a serious problem on his hands. If AB fights Mikey stylistically the way that he fought John Molina (stick and Move), he wins. Mikey is technically sound and has very good power, but Broner is the better athlete and does very well against "boxers." His two losses are to fighters that are brawlers/maulers, which isn't Mikey's temperament or style. I smell crow cooking!

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I'm hearing reports that AB is basically on weight (within 10 pounds). AB is the underdog as far as betting goes and many of the boxing pundits have written him off too, but if he comes in shape to the fight with his mind right, Mikey has a serious problem on his hands. If AB fights Mikey stylistically the way that he fought John Molina (stick and Move), he wins. Mikey is technically sound and has very good power, but Broner is the better athlete and does very well against "boxers." His two losses are to fighters that are brawlers/maulers, which isn't Mikey's temperament or style. I smell crow cooking!
    Broner is training in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He will be in shape. But I think that he will still fall short against MG. Holla!

Advanced Users

Broner is training in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He will be in shape. But I think that he will still fall short against MG. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    I don't know about that. AB has fought the better competition and is the naturally bigger fighter. It will be interesting to see if Mikey loses anything moving up in weight (speed, power, etc.). The only way Mikey wins in my opinion is if he pressures AB. Like I said my previous post, AB does not do well against pressure fighters, but deals with boxers fine. Mikey is going to have to show a new wrinkle to his game if he wants to win this one.

As boxing gamblers advisory pundit Dwyer said on his podcast recently.....
    AINT NO WAY BRONER IS A 5-1 UNDERDOG. The fight is closer than that even on his worst day. .... Salido found some chinks in Mikey's armour as well (chin, stamina and susceptible to body shots) so lets not act as if Mikey is invincible (according to most of the boxing industry).
    But historically once fighters move up (and haven't made a certain weight in at least 5 years, they will never make that weight again)

However with the assistance of a good nutritionist and EXTREME discipline, maybe we can see the old Broner.
    But it's tough for me to believe in Broner, who seems to have gotten comfortable with underachieving.

I hope I'm wrong .... I don't care what Broner does outside of the ring but you have to admit his erratic behavior and alcohol usage, poor drcisions, and difficulty making weight doesn't enhance his boxing ability or induce confidence in boxing fans.
    I wish Broner the best... At least he wears his promoters hat well.
    For now we will have to weight and see....so far i give the edge to Garcia.
    Thanks for the comments

AINT NO WAY BRONER IS A 5-1 UNDERDOG. The fight is closer than that even on his worst day. .... Salido found some chinks in Mikey's armour as well (chin, stamina and susceptible to body shots) so lets not act as if Mikey is invincible (according to most of the boxing industry).
    But historically once fighters move up (and haven't made a certain weight in at least 5 years, they will never make that weight again)

However with the assistance of a good nutritionist and EXTREME discipline, maybe we can see the old Broner.
    But it's tough for me to believe in Broner, who seems to have gotten comfortable with underachieving.

I hope I'm wrong .... I don't care what Broner does outside of the ring but you have to admit his erratic behavior and alcohol usage, poor drcisions, and difficulty making weight doesn't enhance his boxing ability or induce confidence in boxing fans.
    Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post

Thanks for the comments
    I don't gamble, but Dwyer's YouTube videos are usually on point.

I don't gamble, but Dwyer's YouTube videos are usually on point.
    There is a website SRD called HealthyWager, where you bet the house you can lose between 10lbs and 100lbs in 6 months (safely) you bet anything between 10-500 bucks each month for 6 months and if you reach your goal you can double, or triple you cash.

My details may be a little off.

I'm going to bet 50bucks a month that I can lose 20lbs in 6 months. (If the site checks out as legit)
    I guarantee you that I can lose 15 lbs but that extra 5 lbs is almost as difficult as Broner making 140...because there's not alot to lose.
    Sometimes all it takes is losing a few ounces of bio mass to completely disrupt an athletes fine physical and mental machinery.
    I'm very interested to see if Broner can pull it off.

(But I only bet on me)...lol

But 98 times out of 100, it never works out for the guy losing weight or even sometimes maintaining weight. (Remember Chavez Jr who just showed up for a check)
    The encouraging news is Shawn Porter who started out as a junior middleweight then went to welterweight, made Broners catch weight of 144lbs better than Broner did.
    Maybe there's the slim hope Broner can shock the world like Jeff Horn...lol.

Advanced Users

I don't know about that. AB has fought the better competition and is the naturally bigger fighter. It will be interesting to see if Mikey loses anything moving up in weight (speed, power, etc.). The only way Mikey wins in my opinion is if he pressures AB. Like I said my previous post, AB does not do well against pressure fighters, but deals with boxers fine. Mikey is going to have to show a new wrinkle to his game if he wants to win this one.
    Well I told cha that size doesn't with knowledge of whup azz. Broner is going to get his naturally bigger arse torched. MG is going to have Broner's arse on fire and some. Holla!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast