English Español

Thread: The SHOWTIME and HBO broadcasting crews will both be ringside for Joshua-Klitschko

The SHOWTIME and HBO broadcasting crews will both be ringside for Joshua-Klitschko

The Joshua-Klitschko fight on April 29 at London's sold-out 90,000-seat Wembley Stadium will be televised live on SHOWTIME in the afternoon (4:15 ET/1:15 PT) and rebroadcast in the evening (10:45 ET/7:45 PT) on HBO.

Michael Buffer will reportedly handle the ring announcing chores rather than share the mike with Jimmy Lennon Jr. as has happened on a few occasions in the past.

The HBO broadcasting team currently consists of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman, Roy Jones Jr., and Harold Lederman.

At their last big fight (Thurman-Garcia) the SHOWTIME broadcasting crew consisted of Brian Custer, Al Bernstein, Mauro Ranallo, Sugar Ray Leonard (subbing for Paulie Malignaggi who was appearing on a fight card in London), and Jim Gray. One guesses that Malignaggi will be back for this one.

Hypothetical question: If you could watch only the live telecast and it aired at the time most convenient to you, and you had your pick of the SHOWTIME or HBO broadcasting crews, which team would you pick?

Just asking.

Re: The SHOWTIME and HBO broadcasting crews will both be ringside for Joshua-Klitschko

I go with the Showtime crew.

Mauro Ranallo is very passionate about combat sports and that comes out when he calls a fight. He respects the participants and never goes through the motions. Similar, Al Bernstein really loves the sport and will put as much research into a key 12 round title fight as a 4 rounder to open the card. Paulie is a sharp commentator who picks up on a lot of subtle factors in a fight. I enjoy them and much prefer them to the HBO crew. Not saying the HBO side is bad (they certainly are not) just a personal preference for the crew Showtime has put together.

Re: The SHOWTIME and HBO broadcasting crews will both be ringside for Joshua-Klitschko

I go with the Showtime crew.

Mauro Ranallo is very passionate about combat sports and that comes out when he calls a fight. He respects the participants and never goes through the motions. Similar, Al Bernstein really loves the sport and will put as much research into a key 12 round title fight as a 4 rounder to open the card. Paulie is a sharp commentator who picks up on a lot of subtle factors in a fight. I enjoy them and much prefer them to the HBO crew. Not saying the HBO side is bad (they certainly are not) just a personal preference for the crew Showtime has put together.