English Español

Thread: Indongo Upends Burns in Glasgow, Unifying the 140-pound Titles

Indongo Upends Burns in Glasgow, Unifying the 140-pound Titles

[img]http://www.thesweetscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Qx2jMvU2TCOlibdT4FS6_Burn2-1024x737.jpg[/img]

INDONGO UPSETS BURNS -- Julius Indongo has fought only twice outside his native Namibia, but Indongo has become quite the road warrior. In December he burst on the international scene with a shocking one-punch knockout of previously undefeated Eduard Troyanovsky in Moscow. It took only 40 seconds for Indongo to claim the IBF junior welterweight title. On Saturday he ventured into hostile Glasgow where WBA titlist Ricky Burns was waiting.

This time Indongo was forced to go the distance, but in the opinion of many ringsiders he won every round. (The official tallies were 120-108, 118-110, and 116-112.) Fighting two days after his 34th birthday, Burns (41-6-1) looked older than his 34-year-old opponent. A titlist in three weight classes, the Scotsman from Coatbridge showed the wear-and-tear of a lengthy pro career that included 15 fights contested for one title or another.

Where the 22-0 Indongo goes from here is an intriguing question. Terence Crawford holds the other two shares of the 140-pound title, but his calendar is booked and he’s hinted that he may move up. The guess is that Indongo will turn to one of the young guns, perhaps Sergei Lipinets, Ivan Baranchyk, or Antonio Orozco.

Domestic Title Fights

In an upset, Robbie Barrett (15-2-1) overcame two knockdowns to score a 12-round majority decision over defending BBBofC British lightweight champion Scott Cardle. It was a bitter defeat for the previously undefeated Cardle, now 21-1-1, who was 2-0-1 in bouts with this sanction and thus one win removed from gaining permanent possession of a coveted Lonsdale belt.

Charlie Edwards (10-1) outpointed Ian Butcher (16-3) to claim the BBBofC British super flyweight title. Edwards was too quick for the Scotsman, winning every round on all three scorecards. This was Edwards first fight under the tutelage of the noted trainer Adam Booth.

Other Fights:

Middleweight Josh Kelly won his pro debut, cruising to a 6-round decision over Dublin’s Jay Byrne. A 2016 Olympian, Kelly will be back in action in two weeks on the Joshua-Klitschko undercard. Also, 6-foot-5 cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie, Kelly’s Olympic teammate, dismissed Polish trial horse Lakasz Rusiewicz in the opening round. It was the second straight first round stoppage for the former McDonald’s worker who won his pro debut in 20 seconds.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel.
    Last edited by AcidArne; 04-15-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Re: Indongo Upends Burns in Glasgow, Unifying the 140-pound Titles

Indongo was very impressive tonight. What stands out about him is is height and reach. And he knows how to use it. I also love the straight left to the body that seemed to take the air out of Burns early. Burns also had issues with Indongo's speed. Even a prime Ricky Burns does not compete against Indongo.

Already on social media Sergey Lipinets and his teams are calling out Indongo. Lipinets is ranked number one by the IBF and aligned with Al Haymon. With Indongo's willingness to travel, it would seem such a fight could be very plausible. It would be interesting to see how Lipinets deals with the height and reach of Indongo. Just as curious too, will be interesting to see how Indongo handles the power of the heavy handed Lipinetes. In the two fights we have video of Indongo, we have yet to see him get hit by anyone who could punch just a little. So there is still a total unknown about the guy's chin.

Indongo was very impressive tonight. What stands out about him is is height and reach. And he knows how to use it. I also love the straight left to the body that seemed to take the air out of Burns early. Burns also had issues with Indongo's speed. Even a prime Ricky Burns does not compete against Indongo.

Already on social media Sergey Lipinets and his teams are calling out Indongo. Lipinets is ranked number one by the IBF and aligned with Al Haymon. With Indongo's willingness to travel, it would seem such a fight could be very plausible. It would be interesting to see how Lipinets deals with the height and reach of Indongo. Just as curious too, will be interesting to see how Indongo handles the power of the heavy handed Lipinetes. In the two fights we have video of Indongo, we have yet to see him get hit by anyone who could punch just a little. So there is still a total unknown about the guy's chin.

I'm so glad that Indongo didn't get robbed! He is a legitimate force to be reckoned with at 140. He is a 5'10 southpaw that fights tall and has good "pop."

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I'm so glad that Indongo didn't get robbed! He is a legitimate force to be reckoned with at 140. He is a 5'10 southpaw that fights tall and has good "pop."
    He fights tall and fights long. The rear hand hook that took out Troyanovsky was perfect at the end of range, straight to the button. Glad we got to see more of him this time around.

Against Burns, he fought a nice patient fight with constant pressure moving in and out. Nothing terribly fancy with the feet: an almost constant bounce, lots of in-out, and steady circles and pivots. Indongo threw in combination, and he used a lot of high-low feinting and striking, with a pawing lead hand that gave way to sharp jabs at various angles. I'm a sucker for that - one of the things I liked most about Kostya Tszyu.

About the only thing that didn't work for Indongo was a long rear uppercut he was throwing out in the early rounds, and I think in 11 and 12. There was even the odd overhand left around the 4th round if I remember right.

I'd sure like to see this guy fight Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    He fights tall and fights long. The rear hand hook that took out Troyanovsky was perfect at the end of range, straight to the button. Glad we got to see more of him this time around.

Against Burns, he fought a nice patient fight with constant pressure moving in and out. Nothing terribly fancy with the feet: an almost constant bounce, lots of in-out, and steady circles and pivots. Indongo threw in combination, and he used a lot of high-low feinting and striking, with a pawing lead hand that gave way to sharp jabs at various angles. I'm a sucker for that - one of the things I liked most about Kostya Tszyu.

About the only thing that didn't work for Indongo was a long rear uppercut he was throwing out in the early rounds, and I think in 11 and 12. There was even the odd overhand left around the 4th round if I remember right.

I'd sure like to see this guy fight Crawford.