English Español
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ward-Kovalev II Official for June 17

Re: Ward-Kovalev II Official for June 17

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Blast View Post
    Yet against Brook, GGG was taking some heavy shots and looked off until he broke the bloke's eye socket. He seemed to carry that "off business" into the ring against Jacobs. Maybe we have seen the best of GGG. I'm beginning to wonder for the first time and I have been following him for a looooong time. Ever since Ouma. No sanity in the boxing business for sure.

Re Kovalev, his recent and shocking racist rants (as reported by BlackSports online) against Ward suggest he is carrying a lot of inner rage and anger. If so, that can only work in Ward's favor because if anyone can remain calm and focused, it's SOG. Though one must still be cautious of the old saw: "Never go one-on-one with a Russian. You will lose." I say Ward will capitalize on Kov's emotional shortcomings and pick Krussher apart.
    Right on the money KB.

I heard those comments also, his comments regarding Adonnis Stevenson too..... I think whatever negative racial bias Kovalev has was planted there by his early environment and the fact that he's been scrutinized and psycho analyzed regarding so many facets of his character and career that he's just lashing out in a misguided fashion.
    Im not making excuses for Kovalev, he's just a fighter. ....not a politician.

Just a guy who came up in a ghetto in a very corrupt place who learned to improve the quality of his life by doing what he does best in the ring. ..... By hurting people... Politically incorrect? Yes. But doesnt seem to be a truly bad guy.

Its kind of funny that Clarissa Shields said that Serghy is a bastard because he said that women should be in the kitchen instead of a boxing ring....oops.

The Krusher could be greatly benefitted by hiring an american PR rep.

As far as Golovkin. His "JohnWayne" saloon style duke-em-out with Ouma is what Golovkin really craves. Did you see where Jacobs cracked 3G with the hammer of Zeus a few times in their fight? 3G didnt even budge...... We can debate about Golovkins boxing skills but his chin belongs in the HOF, right next to Caesar Chavez Sr and Marvin Hagler.
    His fight against Kell Brook who didnt even put any minimum effort into trying to avoid Golovkin or maintain safe distance clearly fought for the money.... And got a big Brittish pat on the back for it.

Kell fought a "suicide" strategy and is lucky Golovkin let him out of the opening 2 rounds. Even though it was sloppy, Brook got beaten to a pulp and got his head cracked opened. Like Spence's coach said "it's nothing to brag about".

As far as you odds makers, betting stratagists and ticket cashers, I'm not messing with you guys. You know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Right on the money KB.

I heard those comments also, his comments regarding Adonnis Stevenson too..... I think whatever negative racial bias Kovalev has was planted there by his early environment and the fact that he's been scrutinized and psycho analyzed regarding so many facets of his character and career that he's just lashing out in a misguided fashion.

Just a guy who came up in a ghetto in a very corrupt place who learned to improve the quality of his life by doing what he does best in the ring. ..... By hurting people... Politically incorrect? Yes. But doesnt seem to be a truly bad guy.

Its kind of funny that Clarissa Shields said that Serghy is a bastard because he said that women should be in the kitchen instead of a boxing ring....oops.

As far as Golovkin. His "JohnWayne" saloon style duke-em-out with Ouma is what Golovkin really craves. Did you see where Jacobs cracked 3G with the hammer of Zeus a few times in their fight? 3G didnt even budge...... We can debate about Golovkins boxing skills but his chin belongs in the HOF, right next to Caesar Chavez Sr and Marvin Hagler.
    His fight against Kell Brook who didnt even put any minimum effort into trying to avoid Golovkin or maintain safe distance clearly fought for the money.... And got a big Brittish pat on the back for it.

Kell fought a "suicide" strategy and is lucky Golovkin let him out of the opening 2 rounds. Even though it was sloppy, Brook got beaten to a pulp and got his head cracked opened. Like Spence's coach said "it's nothing to brag about".
    "The Krusher could be greatly benefitted by hiring an american PR rep."

I stand ready to serve

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Right on the money KB.

"The Krusher could be greatly benefitted by hiring an american PR rep."

I stand ready to serve

Regarding this rematch. As many know, I was all Kovalev the first fight. I thought his power, strength and underrated skills would easily prevail. It all played out pretty much as I thought though Kovalev tired some in the 2nd half of the fight which allowed Ward to out work him in sports. When all was said and done though, I thought Kovalav should have won a decision.

I also said if there were a second fight I thought Kovalev would ko Ward.

But watching the press tour, I am now wavering on that pick and Kovalev winning. My mind is not made up by what I have been witnessing from Kovalev.

What has me changing my stance? I don't like all the talk, and it seems real, that Kovalev is going all out for a ko. When fighters seek the ko, it often does not happen especially when fighting elite level opponents. They get out of what got some there and start swinging for the fences looking for the home run instead of trying to make contact. The end result is often times the ko not coming because the fighter was not trying to set it up and getting picked apart in a boxing lesson.

20 years ago (well its coming up shortly), we saw a tremendous backyard rival fight between Johnny Tapia and Danny Romero. I thought Romero's power would be the decisive factor. I remember before the fight reading an interview with Tapia's trainer, Jesse Reid. Reid stated that the man who ultimately wins will be the smarter fighter. He said he was urging Tapia to do just that. Stay away from a war and box. Don't worry about the crowd or the writers. If he makes it a war and forgets what got him here, he probably loses.

Well Tapia boxed in a very disciplined manner and won going away.

If Kovalev forgets what got him to the Ward fight, he will probably lose the rematch and lose by a wide margin. If he tries to make it an all out war, Kovalev gets picked apart. I am afraid that right now that is all he is focused on and could get embarrassed come June 17th.

Regarding this rematch. As many know, I was all Kovalev the first fight. I thought his power, strength and underrated skills would easily prevail. It all played out pretty much as I thought though Kovalev tired some in the 2nd half of the fight which allowed Ward to out work him in sports. When all was said and done though, I thought Kovalav should have won a decision.

But watching the press tour, I am now wavering on that pick and Kovalev winning. My mind is not made up by what I have been witnessing from Kovalev.

What has me changing my stance? I don't like all the talk, and it seems real, that Kovalev is going all out for a ko. When fighters seek the ko, it often does not happen especially when fighting elite level opponents. They get out of what got some there and start swinging for the fences looking for the home run instead of trying to make contact. The end result is often times the ko not coming because the fighter was not trying to set it up and getting picked apart in a boxing lesson.

20 years ago (well its coming up shortly), we saw a tremendous backyard rival fight between Johnny Tapia and Danny Romero. I thought Romero's power would be the decisive factor. I remember before the fight reading an interview with Tapia's trainer, Jesse Reid. Reid stated that the man who ultimately wins will be the smarter fighter. He said he was urging Tapia to do just that. Stay away from a war and box. Don't worry about the crowd or the writers. If he makes it a war and forgets what got him here, he probably loses.

If Kovalev forgets what got him to the Ward fight, he will probably lose the rematch and lose by a wide margin. If he tries to make it an all out war, Kovalev gets picked apart. I am afraid that right now that is all he is focused on and could get embarrassed come June 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post

I agree. Fine analysis. His racist rants suggest an inner, albeit misplaced rage. His anger should be directed at the judges and not Ward. SOG did not judge the fight. Hoevere, the vile nature of his latest comments are over the top and SOG can capitalize on them as I'm sure he will. In short, he is just too disciplined for Krussher.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post

I agree. Fine analysis. His racist rants suggest an inner, albeit misplaced rage. His anger should be directed at the judges and not Ward. SOG did not judge the fight. However, the vile nature of his latest comments are over (or maybe under) the top and SOG can capitalize on them as I'm sure he will. In short, he is just too disciplined for Krussher.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123