English Español
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Concussion: Now It’s Boxing’s Turn

Re: Concussion: Now It’s Boxing’s Turn

This is just plain brutal with plenty of targeting to boot: https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFoo...8316452137490/

You can still do a great Tango

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kevin View Post
    You can still do a great Tango
    Huh??

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Blast View Post
    Huh??
    Ted, I came across this today, and thought of your thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=0

Also, I stumbled on this over the weekend. A superb documentary, if you haven't already seen it:

https://youtu.be/hT-CcbdTTlI

Has the medical community made any progress on diagnosing CTE prior to death? A concrete CTE diagnosis, rather than merely saying it's likely due to multiple concussions, erratic behavior, etc. That's the crucial question, it seems.

Edwin Valero's brain would've been an interesting study, as well as Arturo Gatti (NOT equating those two, obviously). Aaron Hernandez? He's serving a life sentence but he's allegedly committed multiple murders, and demonstrated anti-social/sociopathic behavior since his late high school and early years at UF.

A fascinating subject.
    Last edited by Domenic; 01-09-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    Ted, I came across this today, and thought of your thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=0

Also, I stumbled on this over the weekend. A superb documentary, if you haven't already seen it:

https://youtu.be/hT-CcbdTTlI

Has the medical community made any progress on diagnosing CTE prior to death? A concrete CTE diagnosis, rather than merely saying it's likely due to multiple concussions, erratic behavior, etc. That's the crucial question, it seems.

Edwin Valero's brain would've been an interesting study, as well as Arturo Gatti (NOT equating those two, obviously). Aaron Hernandez? He's serving a life sentence but he's allegedly committed multiple murders, and demonstrated anti-social/sociopathic behavior since his late high school and early years at UF.

A fascinating subject.

great stuff Dominic and I thank you very much. I think right now Boston University is leading the research but that's just an opinion ion. The key--as you point out--is to get it diagnosis early.

Valero, and even Spadafora right now who is going through another rough patch. Tony Dorsett needs to be looked at according to what I hear. The symptoms are familiar enough. I should think that someone is looking at what is happening to cells in a living brain. That's the issue. Are their Tau cells in there? Can they be found in time to reverse the horror of what is to come?

I want this thread to continue to be enriched by posts like yours. I want this thread to be our contribution to the issue.
    Last edited by Kid Blast; 01-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.

OMG! Mark Gastineau revealed this week in a radio interview that he was diagnosed a year ago with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, which he believes were caused by head trauma from football. His former New York Jets teammates were blown away by the news.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTango View Post
    OMG! Mark Gastineau revealed this week in a radio interview that he was diagnosed a year ago with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, which he believes were caused by head trauma from football. His former New York Jets teammates were blown away by the news.
    Terribly shocking. The is the first time I have seen someone who participated in both sports have CTE or something related. But clearly, it was football that cause it. Mark really only took one beating in the ring and that was against Alonzo Highsmith, another guy who also played football. But Mark was a fearsome force on the gridiron. These cases continue to shock as more and more familiar names contract dementia of some sort.

It'd seem that Gastineau's brain injuries are attributable to football, and anything boxing-related was merely icing on the cake (I'd say superfluous, but his foray into boxing couldn't have helped). When he fought Highsmith, the damage, in all probability, had already been done. CTE is a ticking time-bomb for the NFL, and by extension, boxing/MMA. The mammoth settlement of $765mm allowed them to skirt answering the what they knew and when they knew it question, and thus took them off the hook for an even more crippling judgment, but as more and more of these guys trickle in from the 80's and 90's, you have to wonder where this story ends.

When Goodell was called to testify before congress, someone equated the NFL with big tobacco, whose stance in the 80's (and before) was that smoking carried no deleterious effects on one's health, a laughable contention. Of course, at that time, the NFL's public position was that there was no correlation between concussions and CTE, and they employed doctors willing to support that stance and sing that tune (Ira Casson, now disgraced, et al). Being likened to the big tobacco situation of that time frightened the NFL into action. If you look at tobacco today, versus 20 years ago, it's a 180 degree change. So you just wonder where this lands 10 years from now as more and more Gastineaus roll in.
    Last edited by Domenic; 01-25-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    It'd seem that Gastineau's brain injuries are attributable to football, and anything boxing-related was merely icing on the cake (I'd say superfluous, but his foray into boxing couldn't have helped). When he fought Highsmith, the damage, in all probability, had already been done. CTE is a ticking time-bomb for the NFL, and by extension, boxing/MMA. The mammoth settlement of $765mm allowed them to skirt answering the what they knew and when they knew it question, and thus took them off the hook for an even more crippling judgment, but as more and more of these guys trickle in from the 80's and 90's, you have to wonder where this story ends.

When Goodell was called to testify before congress, someone equated the NFL with big tobacco, whose stance in the 80's (and before) was that smoking carried no deleterious effects on one's health, a laughable contention. Of course, at that time, the NFL's public position was that there was no correlation between concussions and CTE, and they employed doctors willing to support that stance and sing that tune (Ira Casson, now disgraced, et al). Being likened to the big tobacco situation of that time frightened the NFL into action. If you look at tobacco today, versus 20 years ago, it's a 180 degree change. So you just wonder where this lands 10 years from now as more and more Gastineaus roll in.

Right ion the money (no pun intended) as usual. That movie "Any Given Sunday" actually touched on this without even knowing about it. LT played the guy with the head injury. Very prophetic. The number of Gastineau's will increase and increase. Meanwhile, some very smart lawyer is looking at boxing right now, but more on that later because I am working on a related article.

Thanks, mate

Former NFL player Kevin Turner died last year of what the doctor who performed his autopsy termed an ALS-type of motor neuron disease caused by CTE. Turner and his doctors blamed head trauma suffered on the football field for his long, painful and early death.

This will be on this weekend on Real Sports with Bryant Gumble and it's brutal.

I watched it and it was gripping. Kevin was quite a man. Very difficult to watch without moat eyes.
    Last edited by Kid Blast; 01-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast