English Español
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Oympic Boxing Notebook: Nico Hernandez Breaks Medal Drought

U.S. Oympic Boxing Notebook: Nico Hernandez Breaks Medal Drought

[img]http://www.thesweetscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/balderas.jpg[/img] *

In 2012, the U.S. Olympic men’s boxing team left the London games without a single medal. Only one of the nine competitors, welterweight Errol Spence Jr, advanced as far as the quarterfinals. This year’s squad is assured of at least one medal after light flyweight Nico Hernandez punched his way into the semifinals with wins over opponents from Italy, Russia, and Ecuador. Victories over Russia’s Vasilii Egorov, the #2 seed, and Ecuador’s Carlos Quipo, a two-time Olympian were upsets. With two more victories, the 20-year-old novice from Wichita, Kansas, can claim America’s first gold medal since Andre Ward won the gold in 2008.

Lightweight Carlos Balderas (Santa Maria, CA) can match Hernandez when he enters the squared circle on Friday. Hernandez (pictured in red) outpointed Berik Abdrakhmanov from the formidable Kazakhstan team in his opening match and then turned away Japan’s Daisuke Narimatsu. Balderas has a daunting assignment. His third round opponent is Cuba’s top-seed Lazaro Alvarez.

The only other U.S. boxer to compete heading into the evening session on Wednesday was 18-year-old Charles Conwell who was saddled with a tough draw. The youngest member of the U.S. team, Conwell (Cleveland Heights, OH) was outpointed by India’s Krishan Vikas. The name may ring a bell. Vikas defeated Errol Spence in the 2012 Olympics but his victory was overturned on appeal.

Shakur Stevenson, the most highly touted member of the U.S. team, makes his Olympic debut on Sunday.

ODDS AND ENDS

The three professional boxers in the tournament were sent packing early. Cameroon’s Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam, competing as a light heavyweight, and Thailand’s Amnat Ruenroeng, a flyweight, lost their opening round matches. Italy’s Carmine Tommasone, a lightweight, cleared his first hurdle, outpointing Mexico’s Lindolfo Delgado, but was then eliminated by the aforementioned Alvarez.

N’Dam N’Jikam is 34-2 as a pro with both losses coming in world title fights. In a bout that could have gone either way, he was outpointed by Brazil’s Michel Borges. This was the second Olympic appearance for N’Dam N’Jikam who failed to medal in the 2004 games at Athens.

Thailand’s Ruenroeng also had prior Olympic experience, having competed in the 2008 Olympiad in Beijing. As a pro he was 17-1 with the lone defeat coming in his most recent bout where he lost his IBF World flyweight title in his sixth title defense. It wasn’t a big surprise that he lost to Sofiane Oumiha, a 21-year-old Frenchmen, but the manner in which he lost was shocking. Oumiha dominated the match, scoring three standing counts, the last of which, in the final round, led the referee to stop the fight.

One of the bigger upsets on the opening day of competition occurred when Samuel Carmona, an unheralded 20-year-old Spaniard, turned away Ireland’s Paddy Barnes. Ireland’s Olympic flag bearer in Rio, Barnes was appearing in his third Olympiad and was one of the favorites in the light flyweight class after winning bronze in 2008 and 2012. The Irish team suffered another blow when middleweight Michael O’Reilly was sent home after testing positive for a banned substance.

In addition to the aforementioned Oumiha, Cameroonian middleweight Dieudonne Seyi Ntsengue and Cuba’s Johanys Argilagos also turned heads with scintillating showings. The 18-year-old Ntsengue did a nifty backflip in the ring after turning away Columbia’s Jorge Luis Vivas. The 19-year-old Argilagos, who had a bye in the first preliminary round, turned away England’s stubborn Galal Yafai in what was a portent of better things to come.

On Wednesday, Argilagos became the first boxer to secure a berth in the semi-finals, assuring himself of at least a bronze medal. Jeff Powell, the ringside reporter for the London Daily Mail, likens Argilagos to a miniature Muhammad Ali and hails him as a future star.

Re: U.S. Oympic Boxing Notebook: Nico Hernandez Breaks Medal Drought

The pros never had a chance, they were undone by the grueling pace, the daily weigh ins and the repetitive grind of having to put all that work into three hectic rounds and then come back in a relatively short period of time and have to do it all over again. Its like leaving the plush suburbs of a wealthy neighborhood to do 30 days in the workhouse... betcha not many of them try that again....Lol
    In fact its the pro's who retain the better part of their amateur qualities that usually have more success in the pros .... just look at Lomanchenko and Spence...sure they have added that "professional layer" but both boxers still have that amateur intensity....

Can't wait for Balderas to face that slick Cuban Alvarez..... The guy only touches and slaps with his well timed counter shots but he moves with more grace than a ballet dancer while pivoting and gliding around the ring like he's clairvoyant. One step ahead of his opponents at all times.

I think Balderas can upset him if he goes all out and out hustles the guy with smart pressure. Let's his hands go and doesn't allow Alvarez a moments rest or time to set up(that how Ray Leonard and company did it)... Balderas is a good rythym fighter....he has a nice way of slowing down the pace, getting his opponents to swing recklessly and then turning up the heat just when his opponents think its safe to rest and recover... but it will take a ton of activity to beat Alvarez, subtlety alone just won't do.

Nico is guaranteed at least a bronze ....3-0 so far....USA....USA....
    USA!!!!!

Advanced Users

Nico H definitely got a new fan in me. He was like a no chancer until he landed his first shot in those O-Games. Now that shot has been heard around the world. And little dude is a strutting, smooth boksing machine.

It is amazing how whup-@$$ woke up in this kid. The boksing gods have definitely given him the "IT" factor and the "boxing whup-@$$ syets."

Dude got it going on. And I have no doubt. Ev'ybodee and dey momma know that I'm hard to impress. So when I give da luv, da dude or dudette cannot be nuffin' [sic] but the darn best. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-10-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Nico is guaranteed at least a bronze ....3-0 so far....USA....USA....
    USA!!!!!
    co-sign, co-sign, co-sign

Nico found a way to win today. He figured out his opponents weakness and exposed it.

I have watched his fights as well as his next opponents. The guy he is fighting is quicker, has the faster hands and more activity. The guy is very good.

Initially I thought Nico will have a tough time. But that would be true under the old system. Under the 10 point must system, Nico may have a chance.

Why? Because Nico throws beautiful straight punches. He is well schooled. He won this last fight with a straight right hand that was well timed. The best thing for Nico is his opponent is a southpaw vulnerable to the straight right hand. And particularly one that is thrown straight as an arrow like Nico threw in his last fight.

He has a decent chance in my opinion upon further review. I am looking forward to the fight and hopeful he can advance further.

Advanced Users

OMFG! Some POS trolls have said that I'm crazy about Nico H because he has the same first name as the grandson boxer of the late, great GOAT Ali. Whatever! GTFOH!

Nico H is real. As REAL as "Real Deal" Holyfield. And I hope that there is no flashback to the 1984 O-Games when and where Holy was straight-up robbed by a corrupted bytch referee and a butt sorry azz International Olympic Committee that would not do syet about it, as it did four year later when Roy Jones Jr was puckin' robbed by paid-off double crooked judges.

I'm just hoping the Olympic Games crooks don't go for repeating history and get Nico. He got the gold on lockdown if all is fair. No pug in these games is going to handle him in dat squared jungle without a bytch-full of cheating judges and/or a crooked, meddling ref. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-10-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Write down Joshua Buatsie - he's going win the Light Heavy Gold for sure!

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Write down Joshua Buatsie - he's going win the Light Heavy Gold for sure!
    That bloke is no joke. He slick, quick and one hard-punching dyck. I've already put him on my list as a no-miss gold medalist if all is fair. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    That bloke is no joke. He slick, quick and one hard-punching dyck. I've already put him on my list as a no-miss gold medalist if all is fair. Holla!
    I can see it happening too. He's going to make for a great pro with his style and attributes.. Promoters are already forming an orderly queue...

Still on topic with Nico, I just can't see him handling the experience and skill of the Uzbek.. Styles will come into play but I disagree with OUCat I don't think Nico's straight punches are that good, he has a good left hook and he lands it more down to the volume rather than pinpoint accuracy.. His straight punches just aren't that accurate and he doesn't throw them as often as he should.

The Uzbek fought a 3 time olympian in the Kazakh and one of the top seeds, who also had considerable height and reach yet still lost a white wash.

It's going to be a bigger upset than his first win to win this one. (I think in the his first fight he confused the Russian with his reverse 1-2 enough in the first and kept the volume up in the 2nd, by the 3rd the Russian had him figured out in my book..)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast