English Espaņol
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BORGES: Manny-Mosley Is Why Boxing Has Slipped

BORGES: Manny-Mosley Is Why Boxing Has Slipped

[IMG]http://B78B.http.cdn.softlayer.net/00B78B/thesweetscience/images/stories/boxing/MayweatherMosleyPost_Hogan_4.jpg[/IMG]

So you’re a boxing fan who wants to know how UFC ever took over the combat sports’ arena? Go ask Bob Arum.

There are many reasons why mixed martial arts have left boxing in the dust among young fans over the past couple of years but the clearest is this – UFC makes the fights its fans want. Boxing makes the fights its promoters want.

In UFC the business is about pleasing the fans. In boxing the business is about giving the business to your promotional rivals.

That is how boxing ended up with Manny Pacquiao, the best fighter in the world, matched against aged Shane Mosley, who has done nothing to win this opportunity except the thing that matters most to Arum – which is walking away from Oscar De La Hoya’s promotional company to venture off on his own.

That allowed Arum to avoid what is the better fight for both Pacquiao and boxing – a third meeting with Juan Manuel Marquez. Short of a showdown with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. there is no more compelling match for Pacquiao or for fight fans but that doesn’t mean it’s what’s best for Arum’s agenda.

Arum never wanted a Marquez rematch but not because Marquez has proven to be a clever and difficult opponent for Pacquiao. His opposition to it had nothing to do with the fact they fought to a draw in their first meeting and a controversial split decision Pacquiao victory in the second, a decision many in boxing felt should have gone the other way.

In reality, those outcomes would have been good for business, creating a compelling story line to go with the challenging nature of the opposition in a third fight. But Arum had other concerns, ones that had nothing to do with what’s best for the sport that’s made him a multi-millionaire or for his fighter, Pacquiao.

Arum’s opposition to a Marquez fight was simple and singular: he is still promoted by De La Hoya, Arum’s former fighter, and Arum does not want to do business with him.

Even when Arum was floating his phony list of potential Pacquiao opponents – Mosley, Marquez and WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto – he declared that if the choice was Marquez, Golden Boy could not be involved in the promotion. De La Hoya agree to be bought out but what that guaranteed was that the number Marquez would ask for was going to exceed the one Mosley would accept once you added in Golden Boy’s step aside fee.

Arum claimed Marquez’s financial demand was “so damn high,’’ that there was no comparison with the $5 million purse Mosley agreed to. Arum said Marquez was insisting on double the $3.2 million purse he earned when he fought Floyd Mayweather, Jr., a charge Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer denied while admitting that whatever Marquez was paid had to include a buyout for Golden Boy, who promoted the Marquez-Mayweather fight.

If, in fact, that total equaled $6.2 million, so what? Pacquiao would still make much more and Arum would not be forced to sell pencils on the corner. More importantly, which is the more compelling fight for the people who pay all the bills – the fans of the sport?

Which is a better sell the weekend of Cinco de Mayo: the finest fighter in the world against his long-time Hispanic nemesis or the finest fighter in the world against a 39-year-old African-American opponent who is 0-1-1 this year and in his last outing fought a lackluster draw against journeyman Sergio Mora?

Arum insists Mosley is the bigger draw because he is better known but the fact of the matter is Mosley was never a big draw even when he was the best lightweight in the world. Even after twice beating De La Hoya, Mosley remained the B side of any big promotion.

The difference is in those days Mosley could fight but he could not sell. These days he can’t do either, yet Arum convinced Pacquiao he was the best way to go because, frankly, he never wanted to go in any other direction from the minute Mosley said he was willing to walk away from De La Hoya.
    This is despite the fact Arum was one of Mosley’s loudest critics after his lackluster draw with Mora in September. At that time Arum said he was not interested in matching him with Pacquiao because he was nearly 40 years old and looked shot.

But after Pacquiao destroyed Antonio Margarito (another Arum fighter) in his last outing and the possibility of a Mayweather fight continued in silent limbo, Arum announced he would seek term sheets from Mosley, Marquez and Berto and present them to Pacquiao for a final decision. Suddenly Mosley (now sans Golden Boy) was no longer an old man and a shot fighter. Now he was the logical choice because he had Mayweather in trouble (sure he did, just before the ***-whipping started) and was a victim of Golden Boy’s mismanagement for matching him against the stylistically challenging Mora.
    While you cannot blame Arum in particular for the sport not getting the fight the world wants - which is Mayweather-Pacquiao - you can blame him for not delivering the next best option, which is Pacquiao-Marquez.
    So once again boxing has done what it has done so often in the past, which is reward the boxer who least deserves a fight with Pacquiao. While Mosley is 0-1-1 in his last three outings and looked terrible from the third round of the Mayweather fight on, Marquez recovered from losing a decision to the far bigger Mayweather last year with commanding victories over Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis to reclaim the unified (WBA and WBO) lightweight title.

Juan Manuel Marquez earned the right to a third fight with Manny Pacquiao by beating top opponents. Shane Mosley earned it for walking out on his promoter. That’s boxing.

It’s also why UFC is the fastest growing combat sport in the world while prize fighting exists on the margins of the sporting world, barely on life support.

Advanced Users

Radam G

Wow! I cannot possible see this the way SuperBoxingScribe Ron B sees it. First, it is greatly exaggerated that UFC/MMA has not left boxing in the dust. Nothing that organization reports can you trust. They are great with public relations/propaganda and optical illusions with those cooked-up financial books. It won't be long before everybody and dey momma, sister, lil bro, dog, cat and nosy neighbor start calling those powers that be clever crooks. Nowadays that is what has happened to GBP, and that could be one of the reason that Sugar Shane walked. And now Marquez is talking syet about him. Da disrespectful pee-pee-drinking obsessed-with-da-Manny sucka ought to quit. Morales, Guerrero and I think Soto have called him out. Let him fight them. But he cannot draw flies to his bouts. Being the big draw with Kasidis [name misspelled] only brought in 2,000 paying customers and less than 3,000 more from comp tickets. GBP lost its arse off. GBP has been in the red for the last couple of years, and I'd not be surprised to see it and UFC/MMA declare bankruptcy in the not-too-long-distance future. Top Rank Promotions are as solid as a diamond mine. TRP will be gettihg its BLING, BLING on for a while. YUP! Sugar Shane is OLD! And has gotten a lost and a draw in his last couple of fights. Nevertheless, that is the WAY, the game likes to PLAY. Back in da day, Jersey Joe Walcott lost something like seven of the last nine bouts -- four in a row against Joe Louis and Ezzard Charles -- but got a shot at the title and kayoed Charles, and was the oldest person to win a title until Rev. (Big) George Foreman, who was on a topsy-tuvsy losing streak when he got a shot and kayoed da Master of Misery Man Michael Moorer. But a bit before Walcott, the Cinderella Man lost and lost then got a title shot and upset Baer. What about how boxing scribes was writing off a the old 30-something Roberto Duran who had been kayoed by Tommy Hearns and beaten by Wilfred Benetiz. There have tons of "OLD" boxers on losing streaks that got shots at the world titles Matter of fact, Henry Cooper, Floyd Patterson, George Chavalo and Ernie Shaver were coming off shady performance and losses when they got the call to tangle with GOAT Ali. Arum, Team Pacquiao and da Manny are just following boxing tradition. And predications of the hurt bitnezz demise will forever be greatly exaggerated. Holla!

This Author is Spot On

It is really disappointing to see this fight being made. What does Pacquaio have to gain from fighting this guy? If he were to lose (not likely) he would tarnish everything he has worked for especially in light of the way Mayweather spanked Mosley. If Pac wins, so what Mayweather spanked Mosley. The two people that win, outside of Pacman getting an easy payday, are Arum and Mosley. Of course Mosley is going to earn his payday the hard way, the way Margarito did. Mosley will not be able to defend against the crisp punching of Pacquaio and this one will be hard for me to watch. I wanted to see Margarito get what was coming to him and even in that one enough was enough. Add to this, at this weight Pacquaio is not a big knockout puncher but a puncher that lays a bad beating on an opponent and it makes this match more appalling. Yes the promoters are one of several things that have hurt the sport of boxing and made it a marginal commodity. The best thing will be for a few of the current promoters to retire and disappear from the game but unfortunately I think others are lurking in the background that will swoop in to take their places.

Advanced Users

Marquez is barely a lightweight

If performance against Floyd Mayweather is a measuring stick to see who 'deserves' ( no one desrves) a fight with Manny, then SSM is arguably the better choice. He had Floyd in serious trouble and then Floyd picked his bones dry. Marquez looked like a pinata.....and he lost every round at welterweight to Floyd Mayweather. Secondly, I agree that Mosely lloked like crap against Mora...but who exactly has ever looked great fighting Mora. He is a defensive fighter, who doesnt like to fight.
    I'm not touting Shane.....but I sure as hell am not looking forward to seeing a blaoted Marquez bouncing off the end of Manny's punches.

Advanced Users

Radam G

I'm reminded of Long Tall Paul when the smack talk goes up about UFC/MMA being "the most feared" successful mano-a-mano combat in the world. HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! OMFG! Don't believe the hype! UFC/MMA's arse is going to get da fudge knocked out. Glued to the canvas of bankruptcy and failure like a mutha. UFC/MMA's watching-a-train-wreck phenomenon is already speedily fading to black. And you know that "SPEED KILLS." Holla!

I'll agree to that Fe'Roz. The problem is that Mayweather and Pacquaio may be too good for their own good at this point. There are no other meaningful fights for either man but one another. I would rather see Pac face some of the 140 pound crowd at 142 - 144 in a bum of the month fight. I know no one is going to fight every month but I hope you can understand what I am saying. Martinez can't campaign as a welterweight. The welterweights - well there is no one there anymore, 140 is too light and the fighters are not experienced enough. Mayweather is in trouble so boxing is the least of his problems right now. And the rest are just meaningless fights.

Thumbs up whining and crying

Well, I'm not surprised at all, I have been waiting for this article from Borges a month ago. Borges have been whining and crying like JuanMa in his last few articles. Borges have been praising JuanMa for winning against Katsidis, a fighter who has never won a significant fight, all of Katsidis' supposedly big fights he lost. JuanMa is the champion of one of the weakest division in boxing, he should try to at least challenge one of the champions in the junior welterweight division to make himself relevant in the higher weight division. "Prize fighting exists on the margins of the sporting world, barely on life support". Borges just rephrase the cliche' "boxing is dying". Sports writers have been saying this ever since I started watching boxing in the early 80's, writers will use the cliche' whenever it suits their purpose and right now it suits Borges' purpose, but the truth is UFC/MMA probably gonna die faster than boxng.
    PEACE!!!!!!!

Borges the Clichematic 5000 found his way back into our shiny new universe? I'm not happy about that. But he's 2 for 2 in the last few days, and I'll give him another chance. I'm also not happy about this match. Perception matters, and the allegation that Pac has been fighting fighters on the decline - though false - or fighters Mayweather has softened up already, picks up some credibility. Even Marquez has more significance, if only because it closes out a trilogy, and because he fought Pac very effectively (no, he didn't "own" him), back when Pac was a wild one-handed featherweight. Marquez would be creamed in this fight, if it were to happen. However old Mosley may be, stylistically he can make this an interesting fight, credibility factor aside. Mosley has always been at a disadvantage against slick, long-armed movers; Vernon Forrest did a Mayweather far more devastatingly against Shane back when Shane was fresh. Against a shorter, eager to engage Pac, Mosley stands a chance of utilizing his strength and intelligence to good effect. Don't get me wrong, Sugar is likely to get caramelized eventually in this fight. But it is a match that can play into his strengths. That being said, it is the least interesting and significant of all the fights out there, and apart from whatever revenue it generates, it is a waste of the remaining time left in Pac's great career and legacy. Weird move from Arum and Roach. Berto, Bradley, Alexander....there are others I'm more interested in seeing from a boxing perspective.

....but, I have to deduct points from Borges for the whole MMA/UFC leaving boxing in the dust thing. Its nothing but hype, Ron, and your article doesn't need tripe like this to make valid criticisms of individual fights or trends.

Brutal beatdown in less than 5!

Manny must win inside 5 rounds to basically get some credit for this fight. Shane is basically a worn down fighter running on bald tires. Shane would be the third fighter Manny will permanently retire in three years(OLDH, Hatton). Atleast they will finally be satisfied that Manny will be facing an African American boxer with skills.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast