English Español
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roc Nation offered Wilder $2,000,000 for the Stiverne fight

Roc Nation offered Wilder $2,000,000 for the Stiverne fight

ESPN is reporting that Roc Nation made the 2 million offer to Wilder for this fight and want to sign him to a huge 5 year contract.

Manager/advisor/promoter/ tsAH would not accept it. Promoter GBP has its hands tied and can't do too much because of tsAH.

Is tsAH acting in Wilder's best interest? If it goes to purse bid Wilder might not make half of that amount. If the fight doesn't get made because of the cattle trading behind closed doors then its a big problem for Wilder. Wilder needs a piece of the championship pie in order to be part of the big picture and get WK.

I don't think this fight will be made anytime soon and its a shame. Wilder needs a good opponent to go against or he will never improve.

Advanced Users

Re: Roc Nation offered Wilder $2,000,000 for the Stiverne fight

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    ESPN is reporting that Roc Nation made the 2 million offer to Wilder for this fight and want to sign him to a huge 5 year contract.

Manager/advisor/promoter/ tsAH would not accept it. Promoter GBP has its hands tied and can't do too much because of tsAH.

Is tsAH acting in Wilder's best interest? If it goes to purse bid Wilder might not make half of that amount. If the fight doesn't get made because of the cattle trading behind closed doors then its a big problem for Wilder. Wilder needs a piece of the championship pie in order to be part of the big picture and get WK.

I don't think this fight will be made anytime soon and its a shame. Wilder needs a good opponent to go against or he will never improve.
    I leaning toward never improving. Holla!

This fight can only be stalled so long and is bound to eventually happen. The key to Wilder isn't his technique or lack of amateur experience, but whether or not he has a chin. If Wilder has a chin, he will reign as champion for a long time. This is the heavyweight division we are talking about and Wilder in his current state is better than about 85-90 percent of the competition based on his height, power, and athleticism. The X-factors are going to be his chin and heart. Does he have a chin like Ali or Roy Jones? We will find out very soon.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    This fight can only be stalled so long and is bound to eventually happen. The key to Wilder isn't his technique or lack of amateur experience, but whether or not he has a chin. If Wilder has a chin, he will reign as champion for a long time. This is the heavyweight division we are talking about and Wilder in his current state is better than about 85-90 percent of the competition based on his height, power, and athleticism. The X-factors are going to be his chin and heart. Does he have a chin like Ali or Roy Jones? We will find out very soon.
    He had enough amateur fights for a heavyweight. And height will not matter, but power, heart and chin will. He's probably better than 98 percent of nowadays heavyweight chump-and-dump ground. Holla!

Some of us, like Deepwater2, say Wilder needs better opposition or he will never improve. Sounds reasonable.

Others, like Radam, say Wilder will never improve. Period. Some may buy into that. I can't.

Unfortunately for Wilder, he will be getting lots of on-the-job training. That's because, after he beats Bermane Stiverne, he will be facing nothing but top-notch fighters. Gone will be the days of facing Jason Gavern, Malik Scott, Niolai Firtha, Sergei Liakhovich, Matthew Greer and others cut from the same cloth.

Al Haymon's intense dislike for Jay-Z and tsAH's refusal to allow Roc Nation get involved in a purse bid is what is holding up the Stiverne-Wilder clash. It's now in the hands of the promoters of both guys--Golden Boy and Don King.

The money has been agreed to. What is still needed is a date, the site and a TV deal. That's all something these heavyweight promoters can put together in a matter of hours with some phone calls, or something they can play games with for months.

Right now, we don't know which one it'll be.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Some of us, like Deepwater2, say Wilder needs better opposition or he will never improve. Sounds reasonable.

Others, like Radam, say Wilder will never improve. Period. Some may buy into that. I can't.

Unfortunately for Wilder, he will be getting lots of on-the-job training. That's because, after he beats Bermane Stiverne, he will be facing nothing but top-notch fighters. Gone will be the days of facing Jason Gavern, Malik Scott, Niolai Firtha, Sergei Liakhovich, Matthew Greer and others cut from the same cloth.

Al Haymon's intense dislike for Jay-Z and tsAH's refusal to allow Roc Nation get involved in a purse bid is what is holding up the Stiverne-Wilder clash. It's now in the hands of the promoters of both guys--Golden Boy and Don King.

The money has been agreed to. What is still needed is a date, the site and a TV deal. That's all something these heavyweight promoters can put together in a matter of hours with some phone calls, or something they can play games with for months.

Right now, we don't know which one it'll be.

-Randy G.
    Commish, I'd like to point out that Malik Scott is a legitimate Top 10 guy, better than any guy than GGG has faced and he's lauded for his KO streak. Remember, Scott completely outclassed a Top 5 dude in Glazjov.

Wilder will prove a lot of people wrong. BOOOOOOOOOOOMB SQUUUUUUUUUUUAD!

OK, I'm not #TeamBombSquad. But I do believe he can fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Commish, I'd like to point out that Malik Scott is a legitimate Top 10 guy, better than any guy than GGG has faced and he's lauded for his KO streak. Remember, Scott completely outclassed a Top 5 dude in Glazjov.

HAHAHa . Is this a sarcastic post or do you dislike GGG so much you will actually bring up Malik Scott to make a point?

Right off the bat I will say that Scott never beat Glaskov, he managed a draw and the honorable judge John Mckaie had Glaskov ahead on his card.

Malik Scott was knocked out by Chisora before he took a fall against Wilder.Compare that to GGG's opponents :

Ishida knocked out feared Kirkland and went 12 against Pirog , before he fought GGG and was never knocked out in any of his fights. Ishida now competes as a heavyweight and hasn't been knocked out at heavyweight. I would go as far to say that Ishida would beat Scott right now.

GGG just obliterated former champ Geale who was never stopped before his fight against GGG, his only two losses were by split dec by 1 round. Geale was involved in 18 - 12 round fights. That is huge.

I can go on and on but come on man that post was just silly. Malik Scott to make any point is just wrong.

Get your popcorn ready this Saturday night, sit back and enjoy the dynamic knockout puncher GGG. He sold out the Arena. Great undercard.HBO boxing at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    HAHAHa . Is this a sarcastic post or do you dislike GGG so much you will actually bring up Malik Scott to make a point?

Right off the bat I will say that Scott never beat Glaskov, he managed a draw and the honorable judge John Mckaie had Glaskov ahead on his card.

Malik Scott was knocked out by Chisora before he took a fall against Wilder.Compare that to GGG's opponents :

Ishida knocked out feared Kirkland and went 12 against Pirog , before he fought GGG and was never knocked out in any of his fights. Ishida now competes as a heavyweight and hasn't been knocked out at heavyweight. I would go as far to say that Ishida would beat Scott right now.

GGG just obliterated former champ Geale who was never stopped before his fight against GGG, his only two losses were by split dec by 1 round. Geale was involved in 18 - 12 round fights. That is huge.

I can go on and on but come on man that post was just silly. Malik Scott to make any point is just wrong.

Get your popcorn ready this Saturday night, sit back and enjoy the dynamic knockout puncher GGG. He sold out the Arena. Great undercard.HBO boxing at its best.
    I don't dislike GGG at all. I like him a lot, actually.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 10-14-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

I don't mean to disparage Malik Scott, but I was ringside for his fight against Glazkov and it was a fight where absolutely NOTHING happened. Round after round it was jab and grab. By BOTH fighters.

Then, against Wilder, Scott went down from a hard left hook to the side of the head, followed by a right which actually slammed into the high held right of Scott and drove the gloved fist back into his face. I believe the hook and right were enough to knock him down, but I think he dogged it not attempting to get back up.

I believe the Stiverne-Wilder fight IS going to happen, but I believe it is going to have to take an act of Mauricio Sulaiman, the President of the WBC, to make it happen. He will have to order a purse bid or tell Golden Boy and Don King to "make a deal and get this done." Then, he must set a reasonable date for the deal to get done and be prepared to take action if it doesn't happen.

As for GGG, I, too, would like to see him step up. However, with boxing politics they way they are, the fights against Miguel Cotto, Peter Quillin, Jermaine Taylor and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. are just not going to happen. We probably won't get to see GGG v Andre Ward or Canelo Alvarez, either.

It's too bad. GGG deserves to be given several of those names.

So do the fans.

-Randy G.

Whatever JZ does... He does in a loud, glossy, spectacular way.
    RocNation is devouring the sports and entertainment world. Just google the company and check out the sports and entertainment standouts flocking underneath their banner.

No free rides though.... With RocNation you have to earn your keep

Eventually they will get their foot in the door

As soon as one major fighter accepts their obsenely generous offer .... The rest will follow suit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast