English Español
Advertisement

Thread: What is Stevenson Thinking?

What is Stevenson Thinking?

First it was Hop.................Stevenson showed little interest even though Hop was willing and available for the fight which would have given him major pub and and a nice bank roll.

Next it was Kovalev.............Stevenson's team talked some noise but conveniently skated to a rival network at the last moment to what appears to be an outright duck.

Now it's Pascal. Jean Pascal's team offered Stevenson a 50-50 split for their next fight and Stevenson's team has said no. The fight was to be held in in Montreal at the Bell Centre which makes this even more confusing. In my mind, here is what is available to Stevenson:

-An even split with an opponent where he is the B side of the ledger. Canada loves Bute and Pascal. They like Stevenson.

-The opportunity to become the new "Boxing king of Canada"

-A fight against a guy he could beat

-Major box office. Bute-Pascal drew almost 25K and each fighter made more than 2 million.

People often lose sight of the fact that Adonis is 36 years old so he is not a spring chicken. It would seem to me that he would be looking for the bigger bouts.

Now I am a fair guy and realize that people often see what I don't so maybe Adonis's team sees something I don't. So if anyone has any idea what this dude is doing I am all ears.

Re: What is Stevenson Thinking?

Earlier this year, Main Events basically had a unification fight between their Sergei Kovalev and Adonis Stevenson locked up. Sources close to Stevenson have told me he really wasn"t thrilled about facing Kovalev, so he took off for the Land of Al Haymon, who yanked him away from HBO and to another side of boxing.

While Haymon has been doing a wonderful job with all of the guys he has signed, it doesn't appear he has a Master Plan for Stevenson, unless it's this:

They will take on another title challenger, hoping Stevenson's power sees him through to victory, all the while letting B-Hop and Kovalev wreck each other. They are hoping it's B-Hop who comes out on top, because by they time they get to him in 2015, B-Hop will have passed his 50th birthday. The feeling in the Stevenson camp is that he stands a much better chance against B-Hop than he does against Kovalev.

So, Haymon is currently shopping for the next challenger toStevenson's title, while awaiting November 8, when B-Hop and Kovalev will mix it up.

Adonis Stevenson may be "Superman," but Sergei Kovalev just may be his Kryptonite. Superman made the right move by heading to Al Haymon (tsAH, as he is known around here), who will do his best to steer him away from the Kryptonite and towards piles of gold, until the time comes where he may have to face his Kryptonite.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Earlier this year, Main Events basically had a unification fight between their Sergei Kovalev and Adonis Stevenson locked up. Sources close to Stevenson have told me he really wasn"t thrilled about facing Kovalev, so he took off for the Land of Al Haymon, who yanked him away from HBO and to another side of boxing.

While Haymon has been doing a wonderful job with all of the guys he has signed, it doesn't appear he has a Master Plan for Stevenson, unless it's this:

They will take on another title challenger, hoping Stevenson's power sees him through to victory, all the while letting B-Hop and Kovalev wreck each other. They are hoping it's B-Hop who comes out on top, because by they time they get to him in 2015, B-Hop will have passed his 50th birthday. The feeling in the Stevenson camp is that he stands a much better chance against B-Hop than he does against Kovalev.

So, Haymon is currently shopping for the next challenger toStevenson's title, while awaiting November 8, when B-Hop and Kovalev will mix it up.

Adonis Stevenson may be "Superman," but Sergei Kovalev just may be his Kryptonite. Superman made the right move by heading to Al Haymon (tsAH, as he is known around here), who will do his best to steer him away from the Kryptonite and towards piles of gold, until the time comes where he may have to face his Kryptonite.

-Randy G.

I can see that Commish. What still puzzles me though is why not Pascal? A 50 year old Hop is way more dangerous than Pascal in my opinion. I think as presently constituted, Hop beats Stevenson to a pulp.

To quote The Shadow, with Kovalev he "don't want that work". I get that.

If he has avoided these three guys, it is going to be almost 2 years before he gets some real money because if he won't fight them, I think the list becomes real small of people that he would fight that could generate some cash.

I don't get it either, apparently Stevenson is lacking confidence.

I think he smashes Pascal, but gets whooped by both KK and Bhop.