English Español
Advertisement

Thread: There are some great fights coming in early September nobody is talking about

Hybrid View

There are some great fights coming in early September nobody is talking about

We are closing in on a second relatively slow week in the sport. But September is around the corner and along with it some very excellent matchups. Forget Mayweather-Maidana and look south to some of the smaller weight classes. There are some highly competitive fights high level in the smaller weight classes that could become instant classics. Here is a look at a few that are on the horizon:

Akira Yaegashi vs Roman Gonzalez (Sept 5th) - This is a fight to determine the best Flyweight in the world in what has become a loaded weight class. Yaegashi is considered by many the best at the weight. Gonzalez has recently come up from 108 and is a pound for pound entrant on a lot of lists. He is an action fighter who carries a big punch. This is a mouth watering matchup to say the least.

Juan Estrada vs Giovani Segura (Sept 6th) - We are maybe in the midst of a de facto Flyweight tournament. The winner of Yaegashi-Gonzalez will be the top man and the winner of this fight the 2nd. And what a fight this could be between two top level fighters who can punch and each like to mix it up. Segura knows only one way to fight and Estrada can box but has a tendency to exchange if he gets hit. There will be plenty of leather flying here.

Kiko Martinez vs. Carl Frampton (Sept 6th) - These are two of the best junior featherweights in the world whose styles could make for a lot of punches being exchanged. Martinez is a different fighter since losing to Frampton early last year and his high rate of activity could make this a very compelling fight.

I know this is a slow week but wow we will be in for some serious action next week. And I would take this tripleheader anyday of the week over what Showtime is broadcasting that same weekend.

Re: There are some great fights coming in early September nobody is talking about

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    We are closing in on a second relatively slow week in the sport. But September is around the corner and along with it some very excellent matchups. Forget Mayweather-Maidana and look south to some of the smaller weight classes. There are some highly competitive fights high level in the smaller weight classes that could become instant classics. Here is a look at a few that are on the horizon:

Akira Yaegashi vs Roman Gonzalez (Sept 5th) - This is a fight to determine the best Flyweight in the world in what has become a loaded weight class. Yaegashi is considered by many the best at the weight. Gonzalez has recently come up from 108 and is a pound for pound entrant on a lot of lists. He is an action fighter who carries a big punch. This is a mouth watering matchup to say the least.

Juan Estrada vs Giovani Segura (Sept 6th) - We are maybe in the midst of a de facto Flyweight tournament. The winner of Yaegashi-Gonzalez will be the top man and the winner of this fight the 2nd. And what a fight this could be between two top level fighters who can punch and each like to mix it up. Segura knows only one way to fight and Estrada can box but Estrada has a tendency to exchange if he gets hit. There will be plenty of leather flying here.

Kiko Martinez vs. Carl Frampton (Sept 6th) - These are two of the best junior featherweights in the world whose styles could make for a lot of punches being exchanged. Martinez is a different fighter since losing to Frampton early last year and his high rate of activity could make this a very compelling fight.

I know this is a slow week but wow we will be in for some serious action next week. And I would take this tripleheader anyday of the week over what Showtime is broadcasting that same weekend.

Excellent post.

We were talking about these fights on my show the other day, and will be giving them lots more play on Friday.

The Yaegashi-Gonzalez bout is truly a mouth-watering matchup between quite possibly the two best little guys (from 112 lbs. down). I wish we could see more of these guys in the USA, but thanks to youtube, we can at least watch them after the fact.

Gonzalez is considered to be the second-best fighter in the history of Nicaraguan boxing (Alexis Arguello is numero uno!). I will pick him in this battle.

I'll go with Estrada over Segura, who only knows how to make exciting fights, and I will take Kiko to even the score against Frampton.

September is going to be a fine month in boxing.

-Randy G.

Re: There are some great fights coming in early September nobody is talking about

Gimmie Frampton-Martinez. Their first fight was extremely competitive until Frampton caught Kiko with a clean shot to the noggin in the last third of the fight(9th round?). It looked like Kiko was coming on at that point and may take the fight until he got dropped. I expect alot of activity in this one but I do expect a different result. I think Kiko wil keep his guard a little tighter this time and wear Frampton down.

Good thread!. I'm looking forward to Martinez-Frampton the most. This is a huge step-up for Frampton and Martinez is a beast.