English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Briggs is looking sharp.

Briggs is looking sharp.

Briggs got caught flush with a (heavyweight)right hook early but ate it like cookies. I was surprised with how he was letting his hands go. His punches looked quick and had snap to them. He seemed winded but he was throwing lots of power shots. Phelps certainly isn't a world beater(didn't appear to be in fighting shape) but Briggs going in there and looking like a bad-mofo at this point in his career can only help him since he already has a name. I liked his offense and flowly body movement and he does not look like a shot fighter to me.
    Anybody surprised or not impressed with Briggs latest bout? here's the fight between Shannon Briggs (56-6-1, 49 KOs) Cory Phelps (16-7-1, 8 KOs) that happened on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVq_oU8rF2g

Re: Briggs is looking sharp.

Stop it, flacko...Briggs has to get himself rated first before he gets a title shot. What sanctioning body, what ratings organization, as wacked out as they are, are going to put Briggs into the ratings. Remember what happened when he fought Vitali Klitschko? He lost every second of all 12 rounds, then wound up in the hospital for close to two weeks.

Running after Wladimir Klitschko is not gonna' get Briggs another shot. All it is gonna' do is make us shake our heads at him even more for being so obnoxioux.

Give us a break, Shannon. Put back the 100+ pounds you lost. You were much more real in that body.

You are not going to get a shot at the big prize. Face it.

Get over it.

-Randy G

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Stop it, flacko...Briggs has to get himself rated first before he gets a title shot. What sanctioning body, what ratings organization, as wacked out as they are, are going to put Briggs into the ratings. Remember what happened when he fought Vitali Klitschko? He lost every second of all 12 rounds, then wound up in the hospital for close to two weeks.

Running after Wladimir Klitschko is not gonna' get Briggs another shot. All it is gonna' do is make us shake our heads at him even more for being so obnoxioux.

Give us a break, Shannon. Put back the 100+ pounds you lost. You were much more real in that body.

Get over it.

-Randy G
    Stranger things have happened in the "theatre of the unexpected."

I will just name two thought-to-be washed-up heavyweight drop shots that were never gonna get a shot, but then gotten them: the "Cinderella Man" Jimmy Braddox and Jersey Joe Walcott. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

Get over it.

-Randy G
    I would not be surprised if Briggs gets rated after he beats up a couple more softies, Commish. The HW division is the "shadiest" IMO. Seems like these big men can weasel their way into nice situations more often than most. I do not remember the last time I saw Briggs fight but I was actually surprised at how he looked. Maybe it was just that my expectations were low but I thought he looked decent. With all that being said, you are right Commish but he has a name and that can make things happen.

And was he really in the hospital for two weeks?!? like you say on your show "He got the sh*T kicked outta' em" Lol

Keeping an open mind, you guys are so right. Boxing truly is the theatre of the unexpected. With all the sanctioning bodies out there, it will only take one to rate Briggs in the Top 10 and allow him to go after the man with four of the belts: Wladimir Klitschko.

I can see it now. One of the orgs will place Briggs into the ratings. Wlad will then accept a fight against him. Two of the remaining three alphabet soup groups will get on their high holy pedastals and say that Klitschko doesn't belong defending against an unrated fighter, as Briggs is nowhere to be found in their ratings. They then strip their title from Klitschko, fracturing the heavyweight crown even further. The third sanctioning group hesitatingly allows Klitschko to fight Briggs, but says it will not recognize Briggs should he win.

Klitschko of course, whups up on Briggs, giving him the beatdown we knew he would and holding onto two of his belts. The other belt-giving bodies go off and approve their top two available contenders to fight for the crown.

A little jockeying here, a few envelopes there, and Alexander Povetkin may face Ruslan Chagaev and David Price may face Tony Thompson--yes, again--for versions of the crown.

As our Radam G. loves to say, "This is boxing, the theatre of the unexpected."

-Randy G.

Was I impressed with what I saw? No. Phelps was a human punching bag and Briggs was just winging away to get the KO. As a matter of fact, before that final knockdown Briggs looked like he was starting to get gassed already.

Briggs has a clear strategy to fight a bunch of softies and build a winning streak to beat the drums for a crack a a big money fight. Its a smart business move on his end and with his name will probably work. He seems to want Klitschko bad and is doing everything possible to build marketability for that fight. I am not sure if that is the fight he will get, time will tell. But mark my words, Briggs will get at least one more crack at the spotlight against someone and at least one more decent paycheck before his career finally comes to a close.

Briggs is going to get one last shot.

He looks the part, I don't think he puts on a shirt anymore.

He knows how to open his mouth and put on a show, clubber Lang style.

He was the lineal heavyweight champion.

He has the all time record for first round knockouts.

He just picked up a trinket belt and when the sanctioning bodies smell money they will move him up.

Can he win? small chance.

Will he make the promotion entertaining ? yes

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Briggs is going to get one last shot.

He looks the part, I don't think he puts on a shirt anymore.

He knows how to open his mouth and put on a show, clubber Lang style.

He was the lineal heavyweight champion.

He has the all time record for first round knockouts.

He just picked up a trinket belt and when the sanctioning bodies smell money they will move him up.

Can he win? small chance.

Will he make the promotion entertaining ? yes
    You are so right. He will turn a shot at the title into a Super Bowl-like event.

Picking up "A trinket belt" is an understatement.

On August 23, Briggs knocked out Cory Phelps in the first round for the NABA Heavyweight Title as well as the WBC Latino Heavyweight Title. Latino Heavyweight Title? Which one of them is Latino? Or did each of them have only to have visited a Latino country? Or eat Latino food. Or date a Latino girl? Or know a Latino person?

Mr. Phelps came into the fight with a 16-6 record and riding a three-fight win streak. Let's see. The fighters in that win streak had records of 3-24-1, 9-2 and 2-20 going into the fight against Phelps. Other wins on his record came against guys with records of 15-37, 2-23, 4-43 Phelps fought him three times!!!!) and 1-7.

Mr. Phelps belonged in the ring in a WBC title fight against the former lineal heavyweight champion the way I belong in the ring in a title fight against Gennady Golovkin. Oh, I know I could get in the ring with GGG, but if I did, it would be holding a microphone, doing a post-fight interview with him! That's what Phelps should have been doing against Briggs: Interviewing him for a local station. Refereeing the fight. Being the ring announcer. Being a Round Card Man. Being an Inspector. But NOT fighting him! And for a belt, no less!!!

Briggs is a joke. A joke in a funny way. Maybe he should contact Vince McMahon. He belongs in the WWE. I know Vince. Maybe I can help Shannon land a gig with them. He's got the look and loud mouth and personality McMahon and fans of the WWE love. Also, in the WWE, Briggs can extend his "fighting" career perhaps 10 more years.

The more I think about, the more I like it. He can start out as a "heel," then become a "baby face" later on. Then, perhaps, back to a "heel" again.

Shannon Briggs really does have a future in fighting. His dream is to once again be Heavyweight Champion of the World.

He really CAN hold the title, "Heavyweight Champion" again. He really CAN win another title belt..

Only, it won't be in boxing!

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Wow! S Briggs is such a deceptive wuzzy. OMG! He did the ice cup challenge. Dig how warm water is dumped over his body followed by a cut of ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphrOQUqgPc. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! S Briggs is such a deceptive wuzzy. OMG! He did the ice cup challenge. Dig how warm water is dumped over his body followed by a cut of ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphrOQUqgPc. Holla!
    This guy is getting more and more like a professional wrestler every day.

Yes, I definitely see a belt in his future. However, it won't be one from the WBC, WBA or WBO.

It will be from the WWE!

-Randy G.