English Español
Advertisement

Thread: I give Pulev a chance against WK

I give Pulev a chance against WK

I heard the Pulev camp is saying the injury excuse is bogus and WK isn't ready for the fight. I looked into some of Pulev's fights and the man has skill. He is not a stand up Euro boxer. He has a great jab and uses footwork and head movement to create opportunities. I might be so bold to say he is like a heavyweight Pirog. He handles tall boxers very well.

I know no one thinks the man has a chance against WK but no one thought Corrie Sanders had a chance when they yanked him from the golf course into the ring.

Pulev highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LSjzksljg

Pulev vs Tony Thompson :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9aHVkbuAms

Pulev vs Ustinov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ajb_A0czxQ

Re: I give Pulev a chance against WK

I've seen Pulev fight a few times and nothing I have seen to me indicates he has much a shot against Klitschko. In my opinion, his best shot would be hoping that Klitschko gets old suddenly overnight and comes into the ring not the same fighter he has been in recent fights. But with the style Klitschko fights, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Pulev strikes me as ordinary. He has good skills and okay power. But there is nothing that he does in the ring that stands out. He is not quick, does not have fast hands, cannot knock good opponents out with one punch, etc. He has a good jab but not something that would be described as a weapon like Klitschko's. Pulev is very solid and fundamentally sound. We have a weak heavyweight division at the moment and he used those skills to defeat fighters who were a notch below him. But I think you have to have something more to be able to beat Klitschko at this stage of Klitschko's career and I just don't see that in Pulev.

I find it interesting that two guys who know, understand, love, study, watch, read, attend and even train/have trained in boxing--Deepwater2 & oubobcat--can have two different opinions of the what the outcome will be to the eventual Wladimir Klitschko-Kubrat Pulev fight will be.

Deepwater 2: He (Pulev) handles tall boxers very well.

oubobcat: There is nothing that he (Pulev) does in the ring that stands out.

Deepwater 2: I know no one thinks he has a chance against Klitschko, but...

oubobcat: I think you have to have something to be able to beat Klitschko...I just don't see that in Pulev.

Deepwater2: The man (Pulev) has skill.

oubobcat: Pulev strikes me as ordinary.

Two fight fans. Two educated, passionate, knowledgeable fight fans. One fight. Two varying opinions on the very same fight.

Helps you understand why three judges, watching the same fight from three different vantage points, can have three totally different scores in a closely-contested fight.

The sweet science of boxing!

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I find it interesting that two guys who know, understand, love, study, watch, read, attend and even train/have trained in boxing--Deepwater2 & oubobcat--can have two different opinions of the what the outcome will be to the eventual Wladimir Klitschko-Kubrat Pulev fight will be.

Deepwater 2: He (Pulev) handles tall boxers very well.

oubobcat: There is nothing that he (Pulev) does in the ring that stands out.

Deepwater 2: I know no one thinks he has a chance against Klitschko, but...

oubobcat: I think you have to have something to be able to beat Klitschko...I just don't see that in Pulev.

Deepwater2: The man (Pulev) has skill.

oubobcat: Pulev strikes me as ordinary.

Two fight fans. Two educated, passionate, knowledgeable fight fans. One fight. Two varying opinions on the very same fight.

Helps you understand why three judges, watching the same fight from three different vantage points, can have three totally different scores in a closely-contested fight.

The sweet science of boxing!

-Randy G.
    Right on. We all have different perspectives. I'm giving Pulev a chance, not a guarantee against WK. I see glimmers of hope.

I do guarantee Pulev will put up a better fight then most of WK's opponents including his most recent, 6 ft Leapai.

Pulev's resume includes

6 ft 7" AU
    6 ft 5" TT
    6 ft 7" AD
    6 ft 5" TW
    6 ft 3" DR

Am I just being too hopeful for a tough heavyweight fight?

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Right on. We all have different perspectives. I'm giving Pulev a chance, not a guarantee against WK. I see glimmers of hope.

I do guarantee Pulev will put up a better fight then most of WK's opponents including his most recent, 6 ft Leapai.

Pulev's resume includes

6 ft 7" AU
    6 ft 5" TT
    6 ft 7" AD
    6 ft 5" TW
    6 ft 3" DR

Am I just being too hopeful for a tough heavyweight fight?
    I totally get it.

Quick. When was the last really exciting, slam-bang, two-sided heavyweight title fight?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

I dunno'. I just threw that question out there fast, without giving it any thought. Hmm. Was it Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko? Was it one of the Riddick Bowe-Evander Holyfield wars? Certainly it hasn't been anything Wladimir Klitschko has been involved in. I mean, just being forced to think of the last great heavyweight title fight is a sad commentary on the strength of competition and talent--or lack of it--in the heavyweight division.

Let's go Pulev!

-Randy G.

I think Pulev has as good a chance of beating WK as anyone since Haye. Now does that say a whole lot, we will have to wait and see. I watched the clips above and actually found a little on his fight against Dimitrenko and he is ok.

I like that he has some hand speed, throws combos, and a decent jab. He also appears to have an in ring disposition that is a little edgy, maybe even nasty, and I have always liked that.

I also like that he has had some fights against taller competition in Ustinov, Tony The Tiger, and Dimitrenko. Granted, none of those are Dr. Steelhammer but when facing a guy with a 3-4 inch height advantage, all the practice you can get helps.

What I do see that may be problematic is the wide guard. WK jab is not only powerful but it is not slow. The wide guard may be susceptible to that. In addition, he is ripe to be countered because when he punches he completely comes square.

We also have to factor in the complete unknown to which is how willing will Pulev be to engaging once he gets hit with a good shot. Wlad will hit him in a way he has not been hit before. Does he respond with ferocity like an Eddie Chambers and keep pressing or does that instantly make him gun shy like David Haye?

If you press me for a prediction, I think Wlad beats him but not without some real interesting moments. I could see a competitive 8-4 UD.