English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Mr Bute.............Meet Mr Roach?

Mr Bute.............Meet Mr Roach?

Word on the street has it that Lucian Bute in an attempt to revive his career is attempting to hire none other than Freddie Roach for his training camp. Bute's camp has confirmed this.

The way that Bute has looked in his last two outings, I can understand the need for change or at minimum a new voice. He has looked listless and very unsure of himself.

With that being said, I don't know how much time Freddie can give him with Cotto and Pacquiao having dates within a month of each other and Bute's next date being right between those. Maybe he will bring him on as part timer or an adviser of some sorts and then move towards being a full time pupil.

Good move? I think we will have to wait and see.

Advanced Users

Re: Mr Bute.............Meet Mr Roach?

It won't be a problem. Time for a trainer is measured in quality not quantity. He knows A-S-A-P what you need for boxing rehab. He doesn't need to experiment on you like a rat in a lab. And if he does, your career is over.Holla!

Best decision Bute can make as he has looked like his killer instinct and confidence are gone.

You got whooped by Froch, caught for not being disciplined in there, it happens, time to get over it and get that killer instinct back. Bute has a great offensive arsenal, hate to see him end on these terms.

Bute is a shot fighter mentally. His confidence is gone. Froch ruined him and even when he has won since (Grachev fight) struggled much more than he should have.

If you watch the Pascal fight, Bute was hesitant from the opening bell. He was afraid to let his hands go in fear of being countered by Pascal. He had zero confidence in his abilities in that fight. Roach is a great trainer but its next to impossible to turn the career around of a fighter who simply does not believe in himself anymore.

This situation with Bute reminds me a lot of what happened to David Reid. Reid if you remember was flying high into his fight with Felix Trinidad. Much like Froch ruined Bute, Trinidad ruined Reid. And it wasn't physical, it was mental. Once a fighter is ruined like that mentally and is constantly questioning himself when he enters the ring, he is done as a top flight fighter regardless of the natural ability that he may possess.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Bute is a shot fighter mentally. His confidence is gone. Froch ruined him and even when he has won since (Grachev fight) struggled much more than he should have.

If you watch the Pascal fight, Bute was hesitant from the opening bell. He was afraid to let his hands go in fear of being countered by Pascal. He had zero confidence in his abilities in that fight. Roach is a great trainer but its next to impossible to turn the career around of a fighter who simply does not believe in himself anymore.

This situation with Bute reminds me a lot of what happened to David Reid. Reid if you remember was flying high into his fight with Felix Trinidad. Much like Froch ruined Bute, Trinidad ruined Reid. And it wasn't physical, it was mental. Once a fighter is ruined like that mentally and is constantly questioning himself when he enters the ring, he is done as a top flight fighter regardless of the natural ability that he may possess.
    I would not say he is shot mentally and there is no coming back.

Sometimes the mind can be so stubborn you can not overcome things on your own.

Take for instance Chuck Knoblauch and his mental throwing problems...

From center field he could throw a baseball on a rope 200 feet.

From second base, after a few mistakes he became mentally scared , hesitant, no confidence, he could not throw the ball 20 feet without it going all over the place.
    Research it. The mind is very strong, sometimes for the worst.

Roach may be able to get Bute past his detrimental mindset. I hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post

As much as I hate to admit it, I am leaning your way Mr. Bobcat. I like Bute but I think he may suffer from Roy Jones disease. Roach does work magic with offensively apt fighters, which Bute was, but I don't know if he can fix the "old ticker".

Advanced Users

It was drugs that got David Reid. It was just a coincidence that Trinidad's left hook got at him around the same time.

True da, true da! With Superman Roy Jones Jr, Antonio Tarver's kryptonite got RJJ.

As for Bute, he is a different story. Having all those easy fixable flaws just caught up with him. Top Notch Trainer Freddie "Always Ready, No Joke Coach" Roach can give Bute a quick fix and an overall. If you are going down, give TNT Freddie a call. He will get you back to conquering it all. Run to him quickly and don't stall. Holla!