English Español
Advertisement
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

The greatest middleweight in history is probably dead ! Most people who know boxing better than I do will likely agree on that ! I think Hagler was one of the top 5 easily and probably Monson, I think he is still alive ! Otherwise I don't remember anyone saying GGG is the best of all time, ask again 10 years from now !

GGG is not the best in history of the mw division, though he has the tools to be an ATG, will he be one is the question. Hard to see anyone in recent era better than Hagler.

Cotto and GGG can't even be mentioned with the all time great middleweight champions and neither can Sergio Martinez . The marvelous one can and so can Monzon. Harry Greb, Robinson, Fitzsimmons and recently Hopkins and Jones Jr. and a dozen others are head and shoulders above everyone else around today.

You can be a lineal champion but not the best in the division. GGG is the best in the middleweight division right now, no argument. It's not just that he wins against certain opponents it's what he does against the opponents. He obliterates them.Lets see how GGG gets by Rubio because he is a tough guy to just walk through.

Cotto gets all the respect in the world for flattening Sergio M. but the writing was on the wall by observing Chavez Jr. Round 12 and the Martin Murray fights.

Would Floyd fight Cotto at 160 lbs? I don't think so.

Would Floyd fight GGG at 154 lbs ? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Cotto and GGG can't even be mentioned with the all time great middleweight champions and neither can Sergio Martinez . The marvelous one can and so can Monzon. Harry Greb, Robinson, Fitzsimmons and recently Hopkins and Jones Jr. and a dozen others are head and shoulders above everyone else around today.

You can be a lineal champion but not the best in the division. GGG is the best in the middleweight division right now, no argument. It's not just that he wins against certain opponents it's what he does against the opponents. He obliterates them.Lets see how GGG gets by Rubio because he is a tough guy to just walk through.

Cotto gets all the respect in the world for flattening Sergio M. but the writing was on the wall by observing Chavez Jr. Round 12 and the Martin Murray fights.

Would Floyd fight Cotto at 160 lbs? I don't think so.

Would Floyd fight GGG at 154 lbs ? I don't think so.
    Agreed with all of the above.

It will be ashame with GGG, he will lack the proper competition to rate him at his potential. Sadly.

And Cotto won't fight him, although that would be a great PPV event

Administrator

Historically, the middleweight division has been the deepest in boxing. That can probably be attributed to the fact that the average size man fell within that weight range. (148-160 in fighting shape. It may have since edged north from there.)

Monsters have waged war for that crown. As far as fighters ducking other talented fighters today, that surely wasn't the case yesteryear, when guys would look up, down, left and right at other talent and wanting to prove it was them who was the very best.

If I am not mistaken, sometimes they would not even wait to have a scheduled bout and would just take it to the street ! I am thinking of possibly the 3 greatest middleweights , Greb, Ketchel, and Walker, of course Robinson is right up there too !

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    If I am not mistaken, sometimes they would not even wait to have a scheduled bout and would just take it to the street ! I am thinking of possibly the 3 greatest middleweights , Greb, Ketchel, and Walker, of course Robinson is right up there too !
    The good ole days. You are right.