English Español
Advertisement
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Shadow you're the type of person that only sees the ink on the paper. I can't debate with someone who wishes to blindly hold onto a technicality. Be honest with your friends and yourself in discussion. Cotto is the man who beat the man. Martinez avoided GGG and Cotto will too. Now Mayweather does not want any of GGG either and these are the facts.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,331

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Shadow you're the type of person that only sees the ink on the paper. I can't debate with someone who wishes to blindly hold onto a technicality. Be honest with your friends and yourself in discussion. Cotto is the man who beat the man. Martinez avoided GGG and Cotto will too. Now Mayweather does not want any of GGG either and these are the facts.
    No, I'm the type of person who deals with the facts, not passion, which may explain why you can't "debate" with me -- not that I was trying to anyway.

    Your entire premise seems to be built around speculation and opinion, which to me is pointless to debate since you're of course entitled to have whatever opinion you want.

    I deal with what is. That's just my paradigm; you have yours and that's cool.

    But tell me this: what technicality am I hanging on to?

    The fact that GGG has never even fought in or around the man's weight class?

    The fact that they're signed to exclusive deals on competing networks?

    These are not "technicalities," my friend -- these are complete non-starters.

    Just because you think he doesn't want any part of someone doesn't make it "factual." Does it?

    That's like saying GGG is afraid of Hopkins, who's challenged him repeatedly.

    Like I said, I wasn't even trying to debate with you. You injected by calling the notion laughable that Mayweather (IMO) probably beats the current middleweight champion (who he's beaten before, by the way).

    Perhaps you should heed your own advice about honesty?

    And for the last part, Mayweather doesn't want a part of GGG? How do you know, has he gone on the record to say this? Has he told you?

    If that's your opinion, that's fine. But that's not what I was talking about.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-23-2014 at 02:18 PM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    I read your comment at 7, and I've only stopped laughing a few moments ago. Shadow, understand that this is a forums, and in a open forums we put forward our opinions - informed opinions if we have them - and discuss and debate with others the points and opinions offered. You said that Mayweather beats the current middleweight champion, and then I nudged you to impress upon you that although Cotto is the man who beat the man, he is not the King of the division, at least not in the eyes of the boxing cognoscenti.

    Now if you were to mean Mayweather beats the lineal champion of the division, then it would be harder to disagree. But in my eyes, from my point of view, the middleweight champion is the man at the top of the hill. The man feared most by his peers, the man who sets the standard and teaches the lessons. Now Miguel Cotto has only had one bout in the MW division in close to 40 fights in his professional career. He swooped in and lured the champion into a fight, and took his belt. Fair play to Cotto for his 4 division titles, but is he the king of the middleweights? I think I'd like you to offer your opinion on that question.

    And yes Shadow, the reigning Pound for Pound Champion of the World confided in me his fears of an upstart soviet powerhouse, he told me he doesn't believe he has enough Rocky inside of him to face off with the Kazakh in the ring...

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    570

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I quote.

    The current MW champion is a little known Kazakh fighter with the punch of a mule, skill level of a future HOF'er and the drive and discipline necessary to accomplish any feat he so wishes to undertake. This man is hungry for success, he trains hard and has been from when he was young, amassing well over 400 fights to date, amateur and pro.

    Against this dynamited fister stalker, Floyd Mayweather will have no hope of reaching the final bell. He is simply too small and does not possess the physicality to fight off what will be coming his way should these two pugilists dance together. If lesser fighters such as Maidana managed to win 4-6 rounds (although employing a different approach and style to the Kazakh) then you must understand, Floyd Mayweather will hit the canvas and will stay there on his back, unconscious.

    Unfortunately, many do not know who this Kazakh HBO favourite is but his name will become known in the near future, and then comments such as yours will receive the due laughter they so seek to provoke. To state that Mayweather beats the current MW champion is a claim of the highest order and should be taken with a tonne or two of salt.
    That made me bawl with laughter. Thank you Skibbz

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,331

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I read your comment at 7, and I've only stopped laughing a few moments ago. Shadow, understand that this is a forums, and in a open forums we put forward our opinions - informed opinions if we have them - and discuss and debate with others the points and opinions offered. You said that Mayweather beats the current middleweight champion, and then I nudged you to impress upon you that although Cotto is the man who beat the man, he is not the King of the division, at least not in the eyes of the boxing cognoscenti.

    Now if you were to mean Mayweather beats the lineal champion of the division, then it would be harder to disagree. But in my eyes, from my point of view, the middleweight champion is the man at the top of the hill. The man feared most by his peers, the man who sets the standard and teaches the lessons. Now Miguel Cotto has only had one bout in the MW division in close to 40 fights in his professional career. He swooped in and lured the champion into a fight, and took his belt. Fair play to Cotto for his 4 division titles, but is he the king of the middleweights? I think I'd like you to offer your opinion on that question.

    And yes Shadow, the reigning Pound for Pound Champion of the World confided in me his fears of an upstart soviet powerhouse, he told me he doesn't believe he has enough Rocky inside of him to face off with the Kazakh in the ring...
    With sanctioning bodies corrupting the sport by recognizing upwards of five titlists in any given division at any given time, I think it's a very important distinction to make.

    Check out Jim Lampley's take on the topic at 33:00. He would be considered boxing cognoscenti, no? https://soundcloud.com/hbo-boxing/hb...pley-interview

    Cue the crickets.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    With sanctioning bodies corrupting the sport by recognizing upwards of five titlists in any given division at any given time, I think it's a very important distinction to make.

    Check out Jim Lampley's take on the topic at 33:00. He would be considered boxing cognoscenti, no? https://soundcloud.com/hbo-boxing/hb...pley-interview

    Cue the crickets.
    I agree with Lamps about ignoring the fake champs I even want to go a step further and go to the original 8 weight classes. The Garcia vs Salka farce should of been ignored by fans but at least for once the sanctioning bodies wouldn't have anything to do with a set up fight.

    The Mayweather PPV pathetic undercard has a fight on it that The WBC should of declined,Espinoza should of made an executive decision and said no,that Al Haymon should of advised against,that the champion boxer should of stepped up and said no way am I fighting this guy on an important card.

    Leo Santa Cruz is fighting Roman ,who just went Into a 6 rounder in his last fight and is ranked 91, are fighting for the green belt.

    How long will LSC carry his sparring mate?

    What is the line on this fight? Is there even a line on this fight?

    Anyway , there are too many champs out there but GGG is not one of them. GGG is the number one champion at middleweight and Cotto is the lineal champion.

    Reminds me when Shannon Briggs was the lineal champion and Lennox Lewis was WBC champ. Briggs did great but was knocked out by Lewis. I see the same thing here with Cotto and GGG

  7. #47
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    I see there's a good old forum dust up taking place between Shadow and D2!!!

    Excellent!!




    You two are easily two of the most passionate posters here.

    In fact there's a few here amongst us - which is good.

    Hard not to smile, but perhaps (as the moderator - albeit temporary - I should adopt another stance).



    Anyway, the way I see it (the "Middleweight" sweepstakes), it is like this. . . ..

    1) Gennady Golovkin is currently the top dawg in light middle.

    2) Not Middleweight - yet. There's a few guys to fight before that happens and I have listed some of them here . . . ..

    http://www.thesweetscience.com/forum...vkin-Challenge

    3) Not super middleweight.

  8. #48
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Speaking of Mayweather, fighting, bumps and bruises, and well skilled (real, risk taking) fights.

    Check Mayweather's skooling of Corley in Floyd Mayweather's fight against DeMarcus Corley.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEOAOc63bc

    Truck that Floyd threw out an azz whipping full of skills and mad combinations.

    Poor DeMarcus Corley there were times there where he would have been less stunned if he were struck by lightening.

    The fight is even brilliant for Roger's comments to Floyd in between rounds . . . "Just keep whipping that azz, but don't go to your right and give that righty Mother Fu%ker anything".

    Sometimes we (me too) forget Floyd has - brilliantly - done all this in the lighter weights and has therefore earned the right to change his style, be cautious and consider longevity as he plays fighter, manager and promoter.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,331

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Reminds me when Shannon Briggs was the lineal champion and Lennox Lewis was WBC champ. Briggs did great but was knocked out by Lewis. I see the same thing here with Cotto and GGG
    I see the similarities but I don't agree. Cotto just won the Ring + WBC title.

    Foreman one the other hand had kept the lineal title for about three years up to this point, avoiding the top contenders (Holyfield, Tucker, Schultz, Lewis, Bowe etc.) by taking on the second-tier heavyweights and subsequently getting stripped of each of his belts.

    Cotto just won his from the guy who legitimately won and defended the title. Was Sergio ripe? No doubt. But I won't liken it to that situation quite yet.

    But like Lampley said, he may be the most talented guy at 160, but for now he's just a titleholder while Miguel Cotto is the champion -- a right he earned in June. That's really all there is to it.

    We can revisit the Briggs comparison in 2017, if he's still sitting on the title by fighting some of the guys Golovkin's been facing.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,331

    Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    I see there's a good old forum dust up taking place between Shadow and D2!!!

    Excellent!!




    You two are easily two of the most passionate posters here.

    In fact there's a few here amongst us - which is good.

    Hard not to smile, but perhaps (as the moderator - albeit temporary - I should adopt another stance).



    Anyway, the way I see it (the "Middleweight" sweepstakes), it is like this. . . ..

    1) Gennady Golovkin is currently the top dawg in light middle.

    2) Not Middleweight - yet. There's a few guys to fight before that happens and I have listed some of them here . . . ..

    http://www.thesweetscience.com/forum...vkin-Challenge

    3) Not super middleweight.
    Ummmm, no, there's not LOL! I may have some overseas trolls but I don't get into no dust ups. Respect the forum too much, care about the trolls too little. Lions don't lose sleep...

    Besides, what is there to dispute about my point about champions vs. beltholders? Absolutely nothing.

    Regarding Deepwater, what I think he is trying to say is that he sees GGG as the most talented guy at 160 -- which he's certainly entitled to feel, no doubt -- but the fact remains Cotto just earned the legitimate CHAMPIONSHIP.

    And from what I could tell, Deep certainly agrees with that.

    (I don't really have an opinion to share one way or another about Deepwater's opinion about the Mayweather undercard aside from pointing out the fact that SHO has nothing to do with the undercard, financially.)

    Just like Hatton earned the CHAMPIONSHIP when he beat Kostya Tzsyu.

    Floyd Mayweather was easily the best fighter at 140 pounds -- as your video shows -- throughout his entire stay at the division but at no point was he recognized as CHAMPION, which media like Brian Kelly rightfully pointed out.

    (Gosh, this is too easy...)

    Regarding the thing I said initially regarding distinctions between mere titlists and true champions, some passionate poster decided to come at me with some moronic stance that my belief that Mayweather beats the current champion (who he's beaten before, by the way) was laughable.

    Must be on that Benzino. Someone even called me a "house niggah" when the reality didn't match his bias (then ran for the hills, like they do. I'm SHOCKED!). OK, whatever. I'm Uncle Tom, who cares.

    Still doesn't change the fact that Cotto's the king at that weight until proven otherwise.

    As for GGG, titlist or not, I don't necessarily think he's been proven the best yet. Too many question marks for me that his subpar opposition hasn't answered.

    People see a little power and they get all up in arms -- kinda like the Shawn Porter situation.

    Just because he blasted out Paulie Malignaggi, people were ready to say he'd beat Mayweather. (An epic mismatch, by the way.)

    And I'm not buying that "avoided" talk. There are plenty of guys willing that I'd like to see Golovkin fight not named Rubio, which I have listed before.

    What kinda make me scratch my head is that people keep saying he will fight at 154. But can he even make the weight? And no, it doesn't matter what he says. Canelo says he will be at 154 for his whole career. Who believes that?

    But if he believes he can make 154, s***, why doesn't he go have a fight there and prove it? Go fight Erislandy Lara, who's challenged you, and pick up a belt. Go take on Austin Trout.

    At middleweight, I'd like to see how he deals with Sergio Mora. We won't see that. We will see someone a green Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. beat, though! But this is nothing I haven't said before.

    I think you're spot on: several guys looking to fight him.

    At super middleweight he's going to run into problems, I believe. But his promoters are simply doing what any respectable businessman would do. Building him up gradually so they can cash out with a PPV bonanza.

    (Sidebar: If there was one league, we'd see much better match-ups because there'd be fewer guys with investments to protect.)

    I honestly can't wait till he fights Andre Ward so everyone comes back down to Planet Earth. Love's been called "blissful insanity" and that's exactly what I see.

    But THAT is just MY opinion and little more. People can feel he's the greatest middleweight in history. They're entitled to think that, too. I couldn't care less.

    Time will tell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •