English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

Re: Mayweather Can Fight Who He Wants, When He Wants...Period!

Come on Shadow cut T some slack. He has a point , Floyd made many excuses. At the time of the so called offer ,Floyd offered red hot MP a 40 million flat fee with no rights. You wouldn't take that at the time if you were MP either. MP calls Floyd out all the time, while Floyd contradicts himself and blames his hate for Arum for not making the fight.

Is interference of existing contracts even legal?
    Any way it's sad we are talking about these things rather then the fight itself. The bottom line is if Floyd wanted the fight it would be happening. It really is for Floyd's sake to take the fight. If not, he may have millions but he will always have the asterisk of not taking the fight. His legacy will be affected in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Come on Shadow cut T some slack. He has a point , Floyd made many excuses. At the time of the so called offer ,Floyd offered red hot MP a 40 million flat fee with no rights. You wouldn't take that at the time if you were MP either. MP calls Floyd out all the time, while Floyd contradicts himself and blames his hate for Arum for not making the fight.

Is interference of existing contracts even legal?
    Any way it's sad we are talking about these things rather then the fight itself. The bottom line is if Floyd wanted the fight it would be happening. It really is for Floyd's sake to take the fight. If not, he may have millions but he will always have the asterisk of not taking the fight. His legacy will be affected in a negative way.
    I didn't mean to be harsh to Mr. Tony because I appreciate his input.

That said, what rights did he want? It was $40m upfront, which would've accrued to $45m. That's 2.5 fights worth of pay for him. He should've taken it. (Arum wouldn't have allowed it regardless. I don't think it was interference because Floyd told Manny, supposedly, that he should call Bob and get everyone on the same page.)

So yes, if I am Manny and I've wanted to fight someone as bad as I've claimed, if I claim to fight for the fans, for the people to make them happy, and want this guy so bad I'd fight for free (!), then heck yes I take the record purse.

I don't doubt that Manny Pacquiao wants him but it's a moot point when the promoter doesn't. There was no impetus, no incentive for him to do so. If I were Arum, I would've done the exact same thing.

I probably wouldn't have lied so much but deceit kinda comes with the job description; it's promotions! But the bottom line is with my fairly decent understanding of business, financials and margins, I would not make the fight either if I were Arum.

(There's a little known fact with their business relationship. Arum advances a lot of money to Pacquiao in between fights; one million here, two million there. The advance is then deducted from his purse, leaving little left for Manny on fight night. What's interesting about the advance is that Arum funds that with the residual PPV income from cable/satellite that Manny really should be entitled to in the first place. This is one of the reasons a) Floyd left and b) he makes so much more money than Manny, even in fights where their numbers are similar.)

As for Floyd staying silent, Floyd has expressed publicly and privately that he ignored them because he knew they had no intentions of making the fight. If you notice, Deep, they would always talk about Mayweather whenever Manny had a fight signed.

(And the guys on First Take are too ignorant not to realize how disrespectful they are by inviting Manny and an opponent in-studio and then asking them how another guy will do, as if he's just a stand-in, a bump in the road en route to the mega fight.)

The few times they tried to discuss with Top Rank & Co. when both were available, they refused. It's true. And Floyd got sick and tired of it.

All it would do was boost their events by baiting fans with the possible Floyd fight. "They piggybacking off my name," he would say.

To be fair to Arum, I got the impression he kinda thought both parts were in on it, kinda like a "worked shoot" type of thing. "Bait the fans, keep making money and we'll fight when there's nowhere else to go."

Ultimately, you're right. It sucks that we're talking about this BS. We should talking about the hype for their rematch at this stage.

Great Article! When I finished reading it, I was very impressed and looked up to see who wrote it. I should have known it was Frank. He really knows his boxing history!

Great Article! Frank really knows his boxing history.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest's Greatest Fan View Post
    Great Article! Frank really knows his boxing history.
    He sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Of course. I love your posts and wish you would post more!

Yes, that premise is by and large correct. While Showtime does have some right of refusal, it's not like he can just go fight Selcuk Aydin -- not if he wants those purses, anyway.

(There's a large misconception about these purses. Showtime's function in the contract is ADVANCING the fight night purse. They then recoup the principal through PPV -- hence the "revenue sharing" agreement they vaguely reported. Which is practically what HBO did. But they just committed to doing it for six fights. SHO doesn't pay for the undercard or anything like that. If you want to look at it another way, it's actually a similar deal framework to what Mayweather offered Pacquiao in early 2012.)

At this stage of his career, his chief objective is to maximize revenues. Whoever's available, able and willing that they feel can garner the most buys is the one they will go with.

Golovkin is a darling among hardcores but until he at least has a fight at 154, there is no point in even discussing it from a sporting standpoint.

Bernard Hopkins insists he can make 160 and has publicly challenged Golovkin for a while now, over a year. Why aren't the writers pushing that?

From a business standpoint, Golovkin's team is simply using the oldest trick in the book: tie your name to the top guy and have the fans run with it.

They know as well as anyone that contracts make it a non-starter. If they didn't they wouldn't have resigned without even fielding offers from Showtime.

FWIW, this is one of the same reasons Mayweather gets furious with other promoters that hatch themselves onto his name knowing damn well that a fight can't be made.

One such example was Lou DiBella -- shortly after the whole 50/50 nonsense with Mayweather and Pacquiao -- completely trolled the media by stating he would give Mayweather 80% of the pot.

I know my fellow Crimson is no fool so I can only assume he thinks the public is. Not even Cotto got 20%.

DiBella knows for a fact that this deal wouldn't even be considered. But he also knows the public will run with any slightest indication of Mayweather ducking so he just reaped the benefits of the publicity it gave him, DBE and Martinez.

And you also saw what happened when Andre Ward called K2's "anyone up to 175" bluff. Only then did they clarify their position and admitted that Golovkin, after all, too is a prizefighter.

And to a great extent this (particularly in the context of who you fight and how tough the competition is) is why professional boxing is sometimes not as tough as (so called) amateur boxing; particularly at state and country levels.

In "amateur" boxing you don't get to pick who your opponents are and most are not managed.

Imagine Usain Bolt, as a professional athlete, cheery picking who he wanted to run against and then telling everyone he's TBE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    And to a great extent this (particularly in the context of who you fight and how tough the competition is) is why professional boxing is sometimes not as tough as (so called) amateur boxing; particularly at state and country levels.

In "amateur" boxing you don't get to pick who your opponents are and most are not managed.

Imagine Usain Bolt, as a professional athlete, cheery picking who he wanted to run against and then telling everyone he's TBE!!!
    Exactly. The true competition takes place in the amateurs. Gotta be ready for any style at any given time.

As for risking his 0, what do you want him to do? He's better than everyone else. There is no threat to his 0 unless he goes to 168 or 175 where he will probably get injured really badly even in victory. Is that what you want? Is that what he should do?

So you think $$May beats em all at 160 my dude? Idk.. There's some guys there that might catch em'. I think Floyd is one of the most genetically blessed TACTICIANS I've ever seen. He adjusts and then the fight pretty much looks the same all the way through after that. It may be true that he goes in without a game-plan, but once he finds his distance and spots, he strictly sticks to the game-plan and doesn't fight with anything else other than how to tactfully beat the opponent(no "pride" to enagage,nothin'). I was watching this Movie "13 Assassins" the other day and one Samurai was described by another as "Not so strong, not as shrewed. But he never gives up. Backed into a corner he won't budge. He won' overplay his hand. He's a man who beats you at the end." It just reminded me of Mayweather because his focus on the fight during the fight never seems to wander. I still do wish he would've fought the fights we all wanted and he has to take some blame for it. I'm not saying all the blame but with all the leverage he has he coulda' made something happen. The "TBE" thing has to stop. The sad part about it is that I would estimate 75% of the people I meet (outside the gym)under 21 think Mayweather is easily TBE. No bueno
    Last edited by flackoguapo; 08-21-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    As for risking his 0, what do you want him to do? He's better than everyone else. There is no threat to his 0 unless he goes to 168 or 175 where he will probably get injured really badly even in victory. Is that what you want? Is that what he should do?

So you think $$May beats em all at 160 my dude? Idk.. There's some guys there that might catch em'. I think Floyd is one of the most genetically blessed TACTICIANS I've ever seen. He adjusts and then the fight pretty much looks the same all the way through after that. It may be true that he goes in without a game-plan, but once he finds his distance and spots, he strictly sticks to the game-plan and doesn't fight with anything else other than how to tactfully beat the opponent(no "pride" to enagage,nothin'). I was watching this Movie "13 Assassins" the other day and one Samurai was described by another as "Not so strong, not as shrewed. But he never gives up. Backed into a corner he won't budge. He won' overplay his hand. He's a man who beats you at the end." It just reminded me of Mayweather because his focus on the fight during the fight never seems to wander. I still do wish he would've fought the fights we all wanted and he has to take some blame for it. I'm not saying all the blame but with all the leverage he has he coulda' made something happen. The "TBE" thing has to stop. The sad part about it is that I would estimate 75% of the people I meet (outside the gym)under 21 think Mayweather is easily TBE. No bueno
    My man. I infused the 168/175 example to illustrate the absurdness of the expectations. Mayweather probably beats the current middleweight champion but he'd have to take some serious bruises to do it.

He probably would take a lot of damage in any 160 fight.

Just look at how he looks after every fight at 154 even though he wins comfortably -- all bruised up and sore from the mauling and defense.

Even though he blocks a lot of shots with his arms and shoulders, it's still impact on 37-year-old bones on a natural, ectomorph lightweight frame.

Keep in mind, the guy walks around only a few pounds more than Nonito Donaire, Abner Mares and Orlando Salido.

(Go back and watch how he fought Canelo where he had eat a big fat steak meal just to get to 149 on fight night. He only blocked shots on very few occasions where he had to. The rest of the time he just moved.)

And if you notice, it's mostly non-boxing folks -- ie. guys who never took a punch -- who insist he go up to 160. They seem to think jumping weight classes is easy peasy, just a matter of putting on weight.

But it's more a question of bigger guys, more physicality, harder punches.

But it's like he says, people want to see him vulnerable. "They want me to get a bloody nose, a broken rib and then get my hand raised," he says.

Historically, vulnerability in fighters -- athletes period -- is an endearing trait to the public for some reason. I never liked Andre Agassi in 1994 when he was destroying everything.

But after he plummeted outside the Top 100 and came back to win Grand Slams, I was his biggest fan. When Ali was invincible, everyone hated him.

Once he got by on little more than heart, struggling to win 8-9 rounds against guys who wouldn't lay a hand on him 10 years prior, everyone loved him!

That's sports fans for you. Mayweather shows little vulnerability, even when he's in trouble.

That said, I agree with what you said regarding his style. He's very disciplined in there. And once he makes his adjustments, his fights usually look like reruns which prompts observers to downplay his opposition.

If there is something I would blame him for it would be his insistence on never ceding any of his power and control. He initially said he would never give Pacquiao 50/50, yet still did that so I give him credit for that.

But other than that, he wants to be the top dog so he will difficult to deal with anyone who doesn't treat him as the complete A-side.

But then again, Pacquiao has been known to be difficult in 90% of his negotiations for the exact same reasons so it's hardly anything new...

But there is absolutely no reason to place any kind of blame whatsoever on Mayweather for sticking to his blood testing guns under the circumstances his 14-day compromise was rejected.

10000 million percent blame goes where you know it should.

It's funny, I initially thought Mayweather was the culprit in this too until I started digging and saw what was up beneath all the filthy layers in this whole disgusting saga.

He's guilty of being an megalomaniac/egomaniac, yes, but he's not guilty of ducking Manny Pacquiao. That's a fallacy with no evidence to support it. None. Zero.

If there is, I'd like to see it.

Unless you count refusing to fight someone (who you're 100% convinced is drugged up) insisting on announced testing "ducking."

Because I know for a fact that he was actively trying to talk to the Pacquiao camp through all kinds of representatives, including his uncle Jeff, all throughout 2011 until finally settling on Victor Ortiz.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyastro View Post
    You have just as many excuses as Floyd himself. If he were a real warrior he would fight even those that pose a risk to his 0. Ali did it, Leonard did it. Whether he would beat Pacquiao or not is beside the point. He's avoiding Pacquiao like the plague and you know it! He should fight Manny for HIS sake. If he doesn't he'll only be remembered as the guy who ducked Pacquiao.
    That made me chuckle. Whilst I agree that in some circles Floyd will most certainly be remembered as the fighter who ducked Pacquiao, in other circles he will be remembered as a man who was a beautiful boxer with supreme intelligence and physical ability. I don't think Floyd is necessarily avoiding fighters who pose a risk to his 0, he is in my opinion taking fights where he will take the lions share by far against fighters with a bit of hype surrounding them.

You could easily ask why doesn't he fight a Thurman, a Brook, a Porter, Khan, Provodnikov, or a host of 154 fighters ready to step up and take the challenge. Now that would have me scratching my head..