English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Z wins Quillin purse bid

Jay Z wins Quillin purse bid

Jay Z is back into boxing with Roc Nation. He even hired the guy that worked with Sweet Lou dibella all those years.I used to see Jay Z at Zab's fights and after-parties and he is a big boxing fan. He is one smart businessman.

I think he doesn't like Al Haymon too much either considering the lawsuits against Haymon brought by Beyonce after he tried to rip her off. Boxing sure does have a spectrum of people involved one way or another.

Competition is a good thing

Re: Jay Z wins Quillin purse bid

Boxing is chic....fashionable.....its sometimes immensely profitable and it never goes out of style.

Good news..... this title fight opportunity represents the first significant middleweight fight we've had the chance to witness in a long while and it's being promoted by a newcomer to the business.

I hope ROC Nation will seek to promote similarly significant boxing events moving forward. Jay Z has a reputation of sparing absolutely no resources in his quest to present the finest in entertainment.

I see no reason for a change in philosophy pertaining to this new offering. In addition to this JayZ has been vocal in the past regarding his dissatisfaction with multiple titles in each weight class and showcase bouts featuring lopsided mismatches. He was also very vocal about the Mayweather/Pacquiao bout not materializing.

If JayZ is involved .... He's going to strive to be the Gold Standard in a town that demands and expects nothing but best. JayZ wouldn't be the pinnacle of success in musical entertainment if he hadn't followed the principal of pursuing excellence in all of his endeavors. I have no doubt that he will continue to be guided by this principal as he unleashes his latest business venture.

I think Jay Z's involvement in boxing is good for the sport, it will inject the much needed mainstream attention to boxing. But we do not need another promotional company. But as BSUG alluded too, I think Jay Z will push for the bigger fights and possibly seek unification within the sport.

But personally I am not a fan of jay, I always found him to be phony.

I would not trust Jay-Z as far as I could throw him.

He is a phony for sure.

Although I do have and like some of his earlier albums, he just is not a genuine person.

I don't see him hanging in there with boxing.

I don't know if I personally trust JayZ.... I don't even own a single CD recorded by JayZ ..Beyonce or any of the groups listed under his musical production company.
    But I do trust his track record. And I believe that he's driven to achieve and excel

He out bid Golden Boy 1.9 million to 1.2 million. So I believe he has the resources to do pretty
    much what he wants.

I think he's going to bring some extraordinary bouts to the city that doesn't sleep

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I don't know if I personally trust JayZ.... I don't even own a single CD recorded by JayZ ..Beyonce or any of the groups listed under his musical production company.
    But I do trust his track record. And I believe that he's driven to achieve and excel

He out bid Golden Boy 1.9 million to 1.2 million. So I believe he has the resources to do pretty
    much what he wants.

I think he's going to bring some extraordinary bouts to the city that doesn't sleep
    The question is will he stick with it though?

Curtis has a great record as far as being successful in other ventures and look how he promoted. terribly

From the get-go,I had hoped 50 Cent would dive into boxing and make some noise. However, he didn't dive in--he eased his way in, one foot at a time.

Sure, he co-promoted events with the brilliant and successful Lou DiBella, but he never went after fighters to sign them the way others (Al Haymon, in particular) have.

Jay-Z, on the other hand, dove into the deep of the boxing pool right away. He hired two big guys to run Roc Nation and I have to believe his company is going to be heard from in a very positive and competitive light.

I am curious to see how Golden Boy, Top Rank, Mayweather Promotions and others handle the fast-charging Roc Nation promotions.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    From the get-go,I had hoped 50 Cent would dive into boxing and make some noise. However, he didn't dive in--he eased his way in, one foot at a time.

Sure, he co-promoted events with the brilliant and successful Lou DiBella, but he never went after fighters to sign them the way others (Al Haymon, in particular) have.

Jay-Z, on the other hand, dove into the deep of the boxing pool right away. He hired two big guys to run Roc Nation and I have to believe his company is going to be heard from in a very positive and competitive light.

I am curious to see how Golden Boy, Top Rank, Mayweather Promotions and others handle the fast-charging Roc Nation promotions.

-Randy G.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather Promotions work directly with RN. Or maybe even become a farm system of sorts to RN's major league.

It's hard to say. I think Binkow and Dave (and Richie Rich) are in cahoots.

Could Roc Nation have been the mysterious group that put the offer in to buy Golden Boy Promotions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather Promotions work directly with RN. Or maybe even become a farm system of sorts to RN's major league.

It's hard to say. I think Binkow and Dave (and Richie Rich) are in cahoots.

Could Roc Nation have been the mysterious group that put the offer in to buy Golden Boy Promotions?
    I don't think Jay Z will have anything to do with Al Haymon or Mayweather promotions. Al Haymon tried to defraud Jay Z's wife, Beyoncé .

RN just signed a super baseball prospect, Cuban defector, Rusney Castillo. RN has the top guys from MLB ,NBA, NFL and is trying to get top soccer players also. Besides Floyd ,the stable of fighters at Mayweather Promotions is weak. When Floyd retires in a year or so, Love and Ishe Smith will carry the outfit? Impossible.

Mike Tyson's company ,Iron Mike Promotions, has top blue chip prospects, Erickson Lubin being number one. Tyson has Brooklyn running in his veins as does Jay Z. Their brands compliment each other. I can see Jay Z and Iron Mike co promoting and doing serious business together.