English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kell Brook Dethrones Shawn Porter in California, on Showtime

Re: Kell Brook Dethrones Shawn Porter in California, on Showtime

Showtime & Showtime Extreme made up for that horrendous card they gave us from Barclay's, headlined by Danny Garcia v Rod Salka, a few weeks back.

This one was action all the way.

It can't get much better than Figueroa-Estrada!

-Randy G.

I have to give it to Skibbz, he called this one. Brook deserved the win here. Porter allowed himself to be tied up too easily and needed to make an adjustment. He did not and thats why he lost. Brook also took Porter's best much better than I anticipated.

Figueroa-Estrada was a great fight with tons of ebb and flow and an explosive ending.

As for Dirrell-Bika, well all I will say is please no 3rd fight.

There's a big difference between aggression & effective aggression.. Porter had all the heart in the world but he kept either getting picked off on the way in or smothered once he got in there... Good fight by Kell Brook, now bring on Brook vs Khan in Wimbley Stadium....

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPawFlo View Post
    There's a big difference between aggression & effective aggression.. Porter had all the heart in the world but he kept either getting picked off on the way in or smothered once he got in there... Good fight by Kell Brook, now bring on Brook vs Khan in Wimbley Stadium....
    He got both "picked off" and "smothered." His New Jack arse has/had no knowledge of defending against and countering the most beautiful offensive and defensive weapon -- clinching -- in da game. Holla!

Showbox needs to add a new category, punches landed behind the head. If they counted those, SP would have won going away. He hit Special K more on the back of the head than the front...
    So glad, the judges came up with a fair verdict! Figueroa-Estrada was a great fight, enjoyed that one so much it made up for last week.

Some fighters think they are ordained to win and that is foolish thinking that a lot of religious types have nowadays. I kept thinking Porter just wants to load up and take Brook's head off instead of working his way in behind the jab. He was using good movement but jabbing infrequently. He needed to jab every time to get inside and then use proper spacing to avoid the clinch as much as possible while getting off. It darn near looked like a Klitschko fight. Kell Brook has a deep roster of fighters to face and it should be interesting to see what happens from here. Now we have Wilder talking too much about just power. That man better be ready for what is coming for him too.

I'm glad most viewers enjoyed watching Figueroa vs Estrada...its not ever a guarantee a particular matchup will be entertaining. So you have to appreciate it when you see it.

Personally .... And this is just me .........I don't find Figueroa very entertaining. His punching technique is as sloppy as his defense. He has poor movement...and he turns every fight into a war.

He's nothing like the efficient volume punching champion Leo Santa Cruz.

I guess what he does can be loosely described as boxing. And as long as they can keep matching him with fighters who posses marginal boxing ability (with one contraversial exception)he'll be OK for a little while.

BUT after his fights he looks as if he was violently ejected through the windshield following a high speed collision.

I don't know how Golden Boy is going to protect this kid from all the talent laden cold-blooded-sharks in the junior welterweight division ..... There's about to be a feeding frenzy at 140.

On the positive side is....at least he can stack up some modest earnings at a young age before the absorption of excessive punishment forces his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I'm glad most viewers enjoyed watching Figueroa vs Estrada...its not ever a guarantee a particular matchup will be entertaining. So you have to appreciate it when you see it.

Personally .... And this is just me .........I don't find Figueroa very entertaining. His punching technique is as sloppy as his defense. He has poor movement...and he turns every fight into a war.

He's nothing like the efficient volume punching champion Leo Santa Cruz.

I guess what he does can be loosely described as boxing. And as long as they can keep matching him with fighters who posses marginal boxing ability (with one contraversial exception)he'll be OK for a little while.

BUT after his fights he looks as if he was violently ejected through the windshield following a high speed collision.

I don't know how Golden Boy is going to protect this kid from all the talent laden cold-blooded-sharks in the junior welterweight division ..... There's about to be a feeding frenzy at 140.

On the positive side is....at least he can stack up some modest earnings at a young age before the absorption of excessive punishment forces his departure.
    I am seriously worried for Omar's health. He takes so many shots in each of his fights to be exciting and appealing to the fans that he is throwing his health and future away.

I liked what I saw from Brook yesterday, he handled the relentless pressure well and was the clear winner in my view.

Porter was just coming in throwing punches in bunches, but they were so ineffective since he was getting too close and smothering his own punches/or allowing himself to be smothered by Brook easily.

I think that Porter had so much success vs Paulie with the style he employed last night, once he got into the rhythm and seemed to win the first couple of rounds or so he found it hard to make adjustments once Brook had adjusted to the style.

On Sky Sports Amir Khan was in the studio and said straight after the fight he would be happy to make the fight with Brook happen, I don't blame him, neither Brook or Porter looked particularly spectacular last night. But I think it was just one of those kinds of fights, will be interesting to see who Brook fights next and how he looks against a world class boxer (as opposed to the slugging Porter he faced last night).

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L View Post

On Sky Sports Amir Khan was in the studio and said straight after the fight he would be happy to make the fight with Brook happen, I don't blame him, neither Brook or Porter looked particularly spectacular last night. But I think it was just one of those kinds of fights, will be interesting to see who Brook fights next and how he looks against a world class boxer (as opposed to the slugging Porter he faced last night).
    I've lossed total respect for Amir Khan. Dude is a pathological liar and full-time phony. He is so full of baloney.

I cannot wait for "Special K" to smoke Amir "Great(less)" Khan. Khan has so much smoke and mirrors and plenty of trap doors. Dude has become delusional and self entitled. And now uses his religion of Islam as the ultimate alibi for every d@mn thing under the sun.

For Special K's first title defense, I hope that Great(less) Khan is number one. Holla!