English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assessing Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

Re: Assessing Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

It was a very difficult fight to watch. I tried to rewatch it this morning on Showtime and by round 9 I was exhausted. It was sloppy, the clinching was preposterous and it was quite uneventful. It did seem though that Brook did more of what he wanted than Porter did.

I personally saw it as a bit of an exhibition of Brook's skill. His jab from the very first few moments of the first woke up Porter to a new level of boxing he hadn't experienced for years and it was evident in his face. The pin point accuracy of his 1-2's flustered Porter and for once in my pinion he started to sag from the 8th.

Also, as RG mentioned clinching is one of the most important skills in boxing. You don't fight someone like Tyson or in this case Porter by swinging it out with them. Keep them on the outside, once they're in grab and get what you can in until you're at jabs length again.

How many times did we see that happen to Tyson? How many times have we seen Bernard Hopkins employ this method of fighting? It's very mature and shows a high boxing IQ, boxing is about winning. This is also the difference between someone like Algieri who doesn't know about clinching and someone who is a well schooled boxer like Brook who does it with ease against the best.

Let's hope we get Brook vs Khan and Brook vs Thurman in 2015. The latter would be be good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    I just re-watched the fight.

I actually think Porter is not being entirely unreasonable with his comments about the scoring.

Sure it sounds like sour grapes, but it's hard to score many of the first 9 rounds for Brook in my opinion.
    I believe he Porter acted very immature at the post fight interview. He threw his toys out of the pram and complained that he got robbed. His demeanour changed and the loss has clearly left him very bitter. The tactics that he so religiously believed would conquer the world for him came up short and made him look like an amateur in my opinion.

He got schooled, this is boxing. The jab is the most important punch. Also he should have had at least one point deducted but the usually stellar Pat Russell let the rabbit punches slide. He kept coming forward attacking with his dome but again was allowed to employ that tactic without warning to stop.

His punches were wild, his defence sloppy and his jab almost non existent, the few times he flicked it out he still got caught coming in. There was one or two good leaping left hooks but nothing more. Also his lateral movement was again very poor. He was moving left and right but it wasn't affecting Brook in the way it should have.

I think we finally saw Porter's ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    It was a very difficult fight to watch. I tried to rewatch it this morning on Showtime and by round 9 I was exhausted. It was sloppy, the clinching was preposterous and it was quite uneventful. It did seem though that Brook did more of what he wanted than Porter did.
    Agreed.

Still, I am glad Brook got the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I believe he Porter acted very immature at the post fight interview. He threw his toys out of the pram and complained that he got robbed. His demeanour changed and the loss has clearly left him very bitter. The tactics that he so religiously believed would conquer the world for him came up short and made him look like an amateur in my opinion.

He got schooled, this is boxing. The jab is the most important punch. Also he should have had at least one point deducted but the usually stellar Pat Russell let the rabbit punches slide. He kept coming forward attacking with his dome but again was allowed to employ that tactic without warning to stop.

His punches were wild, his defence sloppy and his jab almost non existent, the few times he flicked it out he still got caught coming in. There was one or two good leaping left hooks but nothing more. Also his lateral movement was again very poor. He was moving left and right but it wasn't affecting Brook in the way it should have.

I think we finally saw Porter's ceiling.
    Yes - all fair comments as well.

Porter's style was always going to be ugly when/if some had his measure.

I recall you called Brook's win before it happened; so I can see your POV.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    Yes - all fair comments as well.

Porter's style was always going to be ugly when/if some had his measure.

I recall you called Brook's win before it happened; so I can see your POV.
    I did pick Brook because I had seen much of his ability in the UK for many years but when the fight was announced I had it fairly even between Porter and Brook. I believed it would come down to who could impose their style nad will upon the other.

As the fight grew nearer, I took a closer look at both fighters' preparations and recent fights and I came to conclude that Brook would most likely be victor. This was because that although Porter is a great talent with potential, in his last 5 fights how impressive has he been? The best performance was against a fading former champion who didn't have a look in from the moment the fight was signed.

That fight against Malignaggi fed Porter's camp (and his fans) hope that he could and would blitz through any opponent thanks to his sheer power and ability to throw punches for 36 minutes, where has all the talk of Porter dethroning Mayweather disappeared to? They believed in his athleticism to get him from the outside to the inside in one swift movement and land blows before the opponent could defend. They based their primary tactics off somebody covering up, not someone who breaks his attack with strong accurately placed jabs and tie him up when he got on the inside. Brook's jab was sublime all night and a pleasure to watch.

Their arrogance and naivety cost them their world title, and even in defeat Porter and his camp failed to realise and accept this which is upsetting because I believed Porter had what it takes to reach the P4P rankings. After his faltering display I have seen a ceiling for him and it's below the top P4P rankings. It's telling that against Diaz when he tried to box he got a draw and a decision, Diaz who has guts and experience managed to hold him off once and finished on his feet the second time round without going through too much trouble and winning a few rounds.

Yes - fair call.

There's no doubt that Porter and his camp were certainly arrogantly overconfident before the fight.

Choosing to train/prepare in front of Brook in an act of defiance and supreme confidence was a pretty audacious move on Porter's behalf even if it had not occurred after Porter publicly released comments alluding to Brook (supposedly) being not so special and most likely (due to be) the recipient of Brook's "going for the KO" fight-approach.

Good post Skibbz.

Agreed Skibbz.....Porter laughing and joking his way through the prefight hype at Brooks expense was the wrong approach. Also the poor sportsmanship afterwards isnt going to win him any new fans ...and there is hardly any reports on the web calling the decision controversial or unfair.

Maybe the message will get out in England that its possible to win fights without being a Bob Arum or Al Hayman fighter.

Maybe Frampton or Quigg will be one of the the next fighters to brave the journey to the states and test themselves against Cruz.

Somebody roll out the banner....Fair Decisions rendered Here!

Lol...

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Agreed Skibbz.....Porter laughing and joking his way through the prefight hype at Brooks expense was the wrong approach. Also the poor sportsmanship afterwards isnt going to win him any new fans ...and there is hardly any reports on the web calling the decision controversial or unfair.

Maybe the message will get out in England that its possible to win fights without being a Bob Arum or Al Hayman fighter.

Maybe Frampton or Quigg will be one of the the next fighters to brave the journey to the states and test themselves against Cruz.

Somebody roll out the banner....Fair Decisions rendered Here!

Lol...
    Fair indeed! But with a twist and turn. You must not be from that state or residing there. I didn't believe no way in heck was "Special K" going to get a fair decision over "Showtime" Shawn. Then I realized that Cali is so diverse that most Yanks says that it like semi being in the USA. That it is not hardcore USA behavior except for home state dudes and dudettes.

It most like the U.S. places of Hawaii, Guam, Western Samoa, Alaska, Saipan, Marshall Islands, Puerta Rica, Yap and the Virgin Island. You Yanks have never thought of it -- I will bet you -- but 75 percent of Cali residents speak more than two languages and American Standard English as a second or third language. And Cali has it own English dialects -- SoCal and NoCal -- of English.

Showtime Shawn's cocksure confidence with an Ohio accent got him into deep kimche. The judges favorited the accent of "Special K," not that of Showtime. And that is not some jive. A fight starts long before entering dat squared jungle and shooting the first punch. And a lot of variables come into effect. Tone, temperment and way of speech are big time influences.

A southern U.S. accent Special K would have been ROBBED big time, IMHO! Holla!

I'm as shocked as you are RG... I JUST KNEW a robbery was in the making... Especially with the announcers playing dumb for most of the fight (since they spent a considerable amount of time riding Porters coat tails)
    Finally Bernstein returns to reality late in the fight by admitting that Brook was landing a majority of the clean punches.
    I braced myself for the home cooking.....but was pleasantly surprised when Brook actually got the verdict.