English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assessing Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

Assessing Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

The trend is not your friend if you are Kell Brook, who has jetted over from merry old England to show off his stuff Saturday next against Shawn Porter, who last year leapt up the ladder from ESPN perennial to full-fledged main evener.
    Brian Rose. Tony Bellew. Lee Purdy. Gavin Rees. Came to America, full of brio and promises that this time, the Brit would do it, would upset the favored American.
    Each time, the result was the same. Back to Britain with an L tacked on to their resume.
    No one here is saying that Brit boxers are inferior as a lot, or that there is any sort of locked in routine which will once again play out at StubHub Center, and on Showtime Saturday night, when Porter puts his IBF welter crown up for grabs. But that trend…
    Could Brook, a 28-year-old from Sheffield (Naseem Hamed's old stomping grounds) who owns a 32-0 record but one a bit more debatable than Porter's, as the 24-0-1 Ohioan owns wins over Paul Malignaggi, Devon Alexander and Julio Diaz, three pugilists of tougher grade than anyone Brook has downed. Or maybe not…Vyacheslav Senchenko isn't a bum, and neither is Carson Jones, an American who Brook has beaten by majority decision (in 2012) and then TKO8, in 2013. Brook last gloved up in March, and took out 17-2 Al Robles in Liverpool.
    Brook has said that he got interested in fighting from watching karate flicks. He took up boxing at age nine, and knew that was his path. "Porter is a tough fighter, but he's in with me, he's going to know I'm special," said Brook, promising that IBF belt will be coming back to Sheffield. Some of have noted that in the leadup, Porter hasn't given off the same aura of confidence the man nicknamed "The Special One" has. I'm not sure that indicates much of anything, and in fact, might be a detriment to Brook's chances. Porter is a humble sort, quick to mention his faith, while Brook is an advertiser who talks up his skills. Me, I usually go for the more humble hitter, knowing that sometimes peoples' self hype is there to bolster their own insecure psyche. The stakes are immense; if he wins, we can see Brook having something Amir Khan, for one, would love. That belt, and we make fun of them in this diluted era, certainly is an attractive lure to fighters, who can leverage the bauble. Also, Juan Manuel Marquez has expressed interest in getting the winner. But let's not get ahead of ourselves…
    If the Porter who imposed his will and low center of gravity on both Alexander and Malignaggi, darn fine boxers, I see Brook getting broken down. He will have a length advantage, but if the 26-year-old Porter can claw his way inside on the Brit, that becomes moot. When things are going his way, Brook dictates the space between him and his foes. His hands aren't lightning, but he's quick enough to land first often, and counter pretty well. His agility is fine, though the brand of pressure Porter can exert is more than Brook has seen, arguably. Brook's defensive reflexes aren't special, so we can expect him to need to shake off Porter's power along the way. Porter will need to be aware of the solid but basic one-two that Brook has command of. A left hook is in the arsenal but isn't a game changer, Porter should know. A lead-hand uppercut has worked against some foes, but against the pressurizing Porter, I'm dubious…Porter has the instinct of a pit bull oftentimes, and I can see him taking a chomp out of Brooks' hide. His punches in bunches, delivered right up in Brooks' grill, will be bothersome, I believe. Porter is a more fervent investor than Brook, in that his punches are usually delivered with more ferocious intent. I expect that to be the case on Saturday and for Brook to taste his first L. The trend will likely not turn out to be the friend of Kell Brook, in my mind.
    What say you, faithful readers?

Re: Assessing Shawn Porter vs. Kell Brook

Brian the Lion was below the calibre of his opponent, and there's no shame in that. Tony Bellew was fighting at a weight which made him weak and uncomfortable, and then walked into a trap - and note that it was a Hatian Canadian in Quebec city, Canada who beat him. Gavin Rees will be Gavin Rees, respect to him for what he's achieved but at the end of the day, however long or short you cut it he's Gavin Rees. Purdy took a big step up and fought Alexander and came up short, he recently got beaten by a hungrier fighter for the European title in Leonard Bundu (aged 39 for those that don't know).

Brook has been Stateside in front of a big crowd and fought and won. He's been under the lights and now he's all business coming for the second time to claim what he believes is rightfully his. He is in shape, he is trained, he is ready to turn doubters into believers, and he will do it.

I will be watching from a hotel room on vacation, Kell Brook dish out truck loads of hurt on the bull and become the 147lb IBF World Champ. Kell has many attritibutes. Don't look to his previous fights against competition who in comparison to his boxing are rodents to the bear. Kell knew he had what it takes to beat those guys by only giving 60-70% of himself in training, for those of you calling him lazy - go call all the other world champions lazy too because they all did it. Even one of the best P4P fighters of all time Roberto Duran would neglect training when facing weak opposition, but he always got the job done.

And so will Kell. Now he's in the shape of his life, all those years of training, sharpening his weapons and fortifying his strengths, all the lessons he's learned in the gym and in the ring, all of them will come to his aid and pay off by rewarding him a world title. Just wait and see.

I believe that Porter will chop down Brooks, Special K's hand and foot speed will off set Porter for a few rounds but Porter's relentless power and pressure will get to Brooks. I will be ringside, and I hope for a great fight!

I have to support Porter since he hails from a place that's almost like being in heaven ....due to the fact that its only a few hours away from my own hometown of Columbus Ohio.

Porter has had a vision of becoming the best in his division and unlike other top contenders he has adhered to his goal by making consistent incremental improvements throughout his career.
    He's been as focused and deliberate as a top achiever can be but when did he suddenly become a beast in the ring?.

Yes he out hustled Alexander and bum rushed a poorly focused Malignaggi who probably forgot he was no longer holding a microphone waiting on the make-up girl to apply some powder to take the shine off his nose.

However Porter is no KO artist ... He's a hustler that uses perpetual motion and nonstop foot work to out work his opponents.

His strongest asset is his physical conditioning and his tenacious mind.

To place Brook in the company of Brian Rose and Tony Bellow is an insult of the highest order and is an egregious miscalculation of Brooks abilities.

But we don't know anything about Brooks ability to stay focused under pressure or if he possesses the intangible traits to weather the storm.

Thankfully all these questions will be answered tonight.

Go Porter.... Do it for the bountiful state of Ohio!

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Brian the Lion was below the calibre of his opponent, and there's no shame in that. Tony Bellew was fighting at a weight which made him weak and uncomfortable, and then walked into a trap - and note that it was a Hatian Canadian in Quebec city, Canada who beat him. Gavin Rees will be Gavin Rees, respect to him for what he's achieved but at the end of the day, however long or short you cut it he's Gavin Rees. Purdy took a big step up and fought Alexander and came up short, he recently got beaten by a hungrier fighter for the European title in Leonard Bundu (aged 39 for those that don't know).

Brook has been Stateside in front of a big crowd and fought and won. He's been under the lights and now he's all business coming for the second time to claim what he believes is rightfully his. He is in shape, he is trained, he is ready to turn doubters into believers, and he will do it.

I will be watching from a hotel room on vacation, Kell Brook dish out truck loads of hurt on the bull and become the 147lb IBF World Champ. Kell has many attritibutes. Don't look to his previous fights against competition who in comparison to his boxing are rodents to the bear. Kell knew he had what it takes to beat those guys by only giving 60-70% of himself in training, for those of you calling him lazy - go call all the other world champions lazy too because they all did it. Even one of the best P4P fighters of all time Roberto Duran would neglect training when facing weak opposition, but he always got the job done.

And so will Kell. Now he's in the shape of his life, all those years of training, sharpening his weapons and fortifying his strengths, all the lessons he's learned in the gym and in the ring, all of them will come to his aid and pay off by rewarding him a world title. Just wait and see.
    You definitely hit it with your prediction on "Special K." I was figuring from the jump that he would win and get robbed. I didn't take into consideration that "Showtime" Shawn Porter was from Ohio, not Cali. A U.S. West Coast fighter would've gotten a gift decision win. Holla!

Porter employed no method behind his madness. He's got skill and he's strong but against the best opposition who are equally strong, skilled and determined you simply can't bulldoze your way through. The other mans got arms legs and a head like you have and now it's time to box.

After the first jab rocked his head back and then he got tied up when he tried to rush... Porter got schooled by a Yorkshireman in his back yard!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Porter employed no method behind his madness. He's got skill and he's strong but against the best opposition who are equally strong, skilled and determined you simply can't bulldoze your way through. The other mans got arms legs and a head like you have and now it's time to box.

After the first jab rocked his head back and then he got tied up when he tried to rush... Porter got schooled by a Yorkshireman in his back yard!
    True .....a guy only fights like that when he's afraid of getting hit and has no better way to avoid the punches. Props to Brooks and Yorkshire.

Brook wasn't going to let Porter make any waves on his pond…calm and steady he controlled Porters storm easily from the onset …good decision

Quote Originally Posted by teaser View Post
    Brook wasn't going to let Porter make any waves on his pond…calm and steady he controlled Porters storm easily from the onset …good decision
    Brook's use of the jab was reminiscent of Forrest V Mosley; despite the overall fight having a different texture.

The jab was and is the way to stop a guy like Porter rushing in.

Jab, step back and feed in either the right hand or left hook; or both and catch the head rocking back (forwards from the jab) with any of the aforementioned punches.

I just re-watched the fight.

I actually think Porter is not being entirely unreasonable with his comments about the scoring.

Sure it sounds like sour grapes, but it's hard to score many of the first 9 rounds for Brook in my opinion.