English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goosen files 10 million dollar defamation suit against Ward

Re: Goosen files 10 million dollar defamation suit against Ward

This is kinda what Goossen is doing to SOG, "Son/Servant of Goossen" right now:

https://vine.co/v/M9YWOIDbnJH

THAT'S gotta hurt!

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    This is kinda what Goossen is doing to SOG, "Son/Servant of Goossen" right now:

https://vine.co/v/M9YWOIDbnJH

THAT'S gotta hurt!
    Uh-uhh! Don't be fool by an optical illusion. That was a bytch miss, and barely scraped Money May with the elbow. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Uh-uhh! Don't be fool by an optical illusion. That was a bytch miss, and barely scraped Money May with the elbow. Holla!
    It snapped his head tho! Just like Goossen is snapping Ward's. That wasn't wind that caused that grimace or made his bald dome go all bubble head.

It actually looked a lot like the one Ward threw at Bika.

EDIT: Just watched it again. LOL come on, that was a CLEAN strike! Probably the cleanest he landed all night.

Goossen's landing both dirty and clean.

I know the other suits supposedly don't get in the way of Ward being active, in theory anyway. Does a case like this one prevent him from fighting?
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-14-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    It is just throwing out something -- hocus pocus -- to extend SOG's contract obligations. But the Goossen's suit is likely to be thrown out.
    Yes this is what I suspected.

You're asking some very valid question, Storm. I was thinking the exact same thing. Ward has been very, very fastidious with his words -- clearly per the advice of Lubin -- to avoid crossing any legal boundaries.

From my vantage point, I think Goossen's just trying to countersue to get Ward to stop suing him all the damn time and hopefully get a settlement going.

It seems kinda frivolous to me but I think it's Goossen's way of rolling his eyes while saying, "Don't be rude to me, please."

The thing is this: the prospect of $10 million plus legal fees would put Ward in bankruptcy -- and thus make him much easier to deal with.

Usually promoters have more money than fighters. Fighters rely on promoters to get work so promoters can kinda strong-arm them into cooperating.

Ward has been saving up but yet another suit will help dry up SOG's well even further.

As for your questions, I don't think they can prove anything defamatory and therefore won't be able to prove any losses either.

But much like the case is with most other cases, people will settle just to avoid a long, costly, drawn-out process.

The only ones winning here are the lawyers.
    Agreed, and without knowing what the real issue is that Andre has supposedly done/said; yes, it certainly seems like it doesn't it?

Additionally, another point (or two) that's perhaps worthy of consideration is . . . . .

If Dan’s filed lawsuit is frivolous and/or vexatious – as it seems it may be – then that – combined with the fact that Goosen Tutor have a (perhaps disregarded) obligation to mitigate losses (on either parties part) and (meaningfully) promote Ward; could ultimately mean that Ward is actually owed tens of millions.

After all, who can say that he would not be earning five or eight million dollars a fight right now had he continued.

I am not sure if there is a precedent within boxing with what Ward’s legal beef with Goosen Tutor really is – that being that no contract is legally valid beyond a certain time period; as is the case with what Dan is saying.

I make that point, as the arbitration and other boards/committees that have previously ruled on the matter in Dan’s favor, are (even aside from their familiarity with Dan) in my opinion not really best placed to make a decision in law on the matter and as such are more than likely advising from just slightly more than a mediation role, if not squarely from it.

That said, I do believe that Dan has done a reasonably good job with Andre and that many boxers mistakenly confuse any new understanding they may grasp of how promoters make money from them as being an indication of being misled and underpaid; when in actual fact if the promoter can’t make money from you then you're not only worthless to him – but your career will go nowhere and you may ultimately make no money as well.

Boxing is one of those sports that, to do it well, it means you have to eat, live, sleep and breathe it.

And when the demands are that high, rarely do the participants understand the inner workings and legalities of the businesses that surround and finance bog time boxing; that they all ultimately want a piece of.

Once they learn of all the additional revenue streams the fighters can sometimes have a sense of unachieved self-entitlement, and from their emotion and revenge sets in.

And the feelings that you're the one doing all the work in both, the gym training hard and also in the ring taking shots and/or bleeding usually only serve to reinforce the feelings of righteousness; whether they’re misplaced or not, and whether they have a legal foundation or not.

Unless Ward is supremely confident of the frivolous nature of Dan’s claim; I sense an out of court settlement coming.

Finally, if Ward is supremely confident of the frivolous nature of Dan’s claim, then Goosen Tutor may wish to adopt a considered approach, as a counterclaim from Ward for breach and/or frustration of contract may follow – I know that’s what I would do if I were Ward and also supremely confident of the frivolous nature of Dan’s claim.

Advanced Users

It snapped his head tho! Just like Goossen is snapping Ward's. That wasn't wind that caused that grimace or made his bald dome go all bubble head.

It actually looked a lot like the one Ward threw at Bika.

EDIT: Just watched it again. LOL come on, that was a CLEAN strike! Probably the cleanest he landed all night.

Goossen's landing both dirty and clean.

I know the other suits supposedly don't get in the way of Ward being active, in theory anyway. Does a case like this one prevent him from fighting?
    He moved his head. And sent the punch array. He was barely brushed with the elbow. Quadruple slow motion would reveal that. Boxers always turn their heads with the punch and get brushed, if touched at out. I see a clear miss. Holla!

If someone can access the filing or a link to the relevant courthouses’ files/documents representing Goosen Tutor’s complaint, that would be appreciated.

As I would love to read and analyze it, and to the best of my knowledge, it should be public information over there in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    If someone can access the filing or a link to the relevant courthouses’ files/documents representing Goosen Tutor’s complaint, that would be appreciated.

As I would love to read and analyze it, and to the best of my knowledge, it should be public information over there in the USA.
    It is. I'm trying to dig it up but it doesn't look like it's available yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do see case of Andre Ward filing a suit against Dan Goossen from August 4, however.

It is. I'm trying to dig it up but it doesn't look like it's available yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do see case of Andre Ward filing a suit against Dan Goossen from August 4, however.
    OK - I'll look forward to accessing and reading it.

Thanks Shadow.