English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goosen files 10 million dollar defamation suit against Ward

Goosen files 10 million dollar defamation suit against Ward

Looks like Ward will not be getting anywhere near a ring anytime soon.

I just don't get Ward and why he thinks continued failed law suits are the answer.

Just finish out your contract and move on.

Re: Goosen files 10 million dollar defamation suit against Ward

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Looks like Ward will not be getting anywhere near a ring anytime soon.

I just don't get Ward and why he thinks continued failed law suits are the answer.

Just finish out your contract and move on.
    I am not sure how much longer Ward has to go on his contract. If it's a few months, he should stay in the gym, do his announcing gigs, then move on. If it's longer than another year (he has already been off for around nine months), he should bite the bullet and take a fight.

I have spoken to Dan Goossen about his situation with Ward, and I have never heard Dan say one bad thing about Ward. In fact, all he does is praise him.

It's too bad that it has down to this. Ward is not just another fighter.

He is truly one of the best!

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I am not sure how much longer Ward has to go on his contract. If it's a few months, he should stay in the gym, do his announcing gigs, then move on. If it's longer than another year (he has already been off for around nine months), he should bite the bullet and take a fight.

I have spoken to Dan Goossen about his situation with Ward, and I have never heard Dan say one bad thing about Ward. In fact, all he does is praise him.

It's too bad that it has down to this. Ward is not just another fighter.

He is truly one of the best!

-Randy G.
    He signed a "friggun" three-year deal back in 2011, which would've left him free this year.

However, after Ward sued him, the court upheld the deal until Nov. 2016!

D'oh!

But it's really simple. Goossen isn't going to make the same mistake twice. He lost Pretty Boy Floyd right before he became Money Mayweather.

This time, though, Goossen engineered the transformation himself by turning SOG into "Son of Goossen."

Sad, indeed.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-14-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    He signed a "friggun" three-year deal back in 2011, which would've left him free this year.

However, after Ward sued him, the court upheld the deal until Nov. 2016!

D'oh!

But it's really simple. Goossen isn't going to make the same mistake twice. He lost Pretty Boy Floyd right before he became Money Mayweather.

This time, though, Goossen engineered the transformation himself by turning SOG into "Son of Goossen."

Sad, indeed.
    WTF! Hehehe! OMG! This prodigal son is not coming back. Holla!

Who is giving Ward this horrible advice? Sue him Andre! Goosen got him in the Super 6 and millions for fighting Edwin R. Make an out of court settlement and get in the ring. Buy out Goosen with a lot of money or bite your lip and make some money with Goosen. Goosen isn't messing around with the lawyer he has representing him. Not good for Andre Ward. Is Ward going to travel to Denmark with this hanging over his head?
    Last edited by deepwater2; 08-14-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Goosen is giving Ward his toughest fight since...well I don't think anyone has given him this tough a fight.

Commish, I may have to adjust my pound for pound rankings and add Goosen's name with the fight he is given Ward. And drop Ward some with the performance he has displayed against Goosen.

In all seriousness, Deep is right. There are people giving Ward some absolutely horrible advice. I understand Ward may not be happy with the contract he signed with Goosen. However, the legal maneuverings aren't working and the latest move by Ward seem more of a desperation attempt than anything else. To that, Goosen responds with a counter-suit. But through all this Ward is staying inactive in what should be the prime years of a very talented and promising career.

Smart advice for Ward are despite his feelings for Goosen at the moment to either work a hefty buyout or man up and suck it up to work with the man until the contract ends. Yes you may not be happy with the terms but don't waste your career away because of it. Lets get active, re-establish yourself in the ring, fight well and by the time this contract ends be ready to do what you want to do. Otherwise, you will have wasted the prime of your career with nothing to show for it but multiple lawsuits.

Administrator

Gents, it's G-O-O-S-S-E-N. Goossen.

I would like to know what it was that Ward said that was defamatory and what, precisely, the (financial and other) damages/losses are; that Goosen claims he has encountered from Andre's words and actions.

From what I have seen and heard Ward has been very careful not to defame and/or slander Goosen.

Does anyone know what the genesis is of this claim?

Or perhaps put better; where does the (litigation) line originate from?

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    I would like to know what it was that Ward said that was defamatory and what, precisely, the (financial and other) damages/losses are; that Goosen claims he has encountered from Andre's words and actions.

From what I have seen and heard Ward has been very careful not to defame and/or slander Goosen.

It is just throwing out something -- hocus pocus -- to extend SOG's contract obligations. But the Goossen's suit is likely to be thrown out.

The "genesis" of Goossen's suit is "I feel betrayed by you, so I'm going to damage you, by hook or crook because I ain't nuffin' by book." Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post

You're asking some very valid question, Storm. I was thinking the exact same thing. Ward has been very, very fastidious with his words -- clearly per the advice of Lubin -- to avoid crossing any legal boundaries.

From my vantage point, I think Goossen's just trying to countersue to get Ward to stop suing him all the damn time and hopefully get a settlement going.

It seems kinda frivolous to me but I think it's Goossen's way of rolling his eyes while saying, "Don't be rude to me, please."

The thing is this: the prospect of $10 million plus legal fees would put Ward in bankruptcy -- and thus make him much easier to deal with.

Usually promoters have more money than fighters. Fighters rely on promoters to get work so promoters can kinda strong-arm them into cooperating.

Ward has been saving up but yet another suit will help dry up SOG's well even further.

As for your questions, I don't think they can prove anything defamatory and therefore won't be able to prove any losses either.

But much like the case is with most other cases, people will settle just to avoid a long, costly, drawn-out process.

The only ones winning here are the lawyers.