English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Garcia Destroys Rod Salka in Mismatch of the Year

Danny Garcia Destroys Rod Salka in Mismatch of the Year

Let’s face it. Nobody wanted to see TBRB, Ring, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia take on Rod Salka on Saturday except for the people who made the fight and perhaps some of the fight-crazed crowd that watched it unfold live at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
    Salka, a lightweight, didn’t deserve to face the king of the 140-pound division to the point that both alphabet orgs chose to refuse sanctioning the fight, so the bout was fought above the junior welterweight limit.
    Garcia, from Philadelphia, defeated Salka by TKO in Round 2. Garcia knocked Salka down three times in the round, the last coming at 2:31. The hope now, of course, is that the card was just a prelude to a unification bout between Garcia and IBF champion Lamont Peterson, who defeated his overmatched opponent on the same card.
    “I want to thank Showtime for giving me the opportunity to showcase my skills,” said Garcia after the fight, and he was exactly right. This was nothing more than a showcase fight for Garcia. Salka had no chance.
    It was clear from the start that Garcia was the bigger and stronger fighter. Garcia must have felt it too, because he moved forward more than typical and carried the action to his smaller opponent. Round 1 looked like a sparring session between the man-sized Garcia and the smallish Salka, who tried to box from the outside but was probably surprised by Garcia’s edge in hand speed.
    Garcia walked the smaller Salka down in Round 2 and put him down hard with a left hook. Salka rose to his feet but was met with the same terrible truth: Garcia was bigger, faster, stronger and better. Garcia landed a hard right hand to put Salka down again. Salka stood back up but was simply outgunned. A vicious left hook to the head proved what everyone knew before the opening bell sounded: this was an ugly and pointless mismatch that should never have happened in the first place.
    After the bout, Garcia said he would fight whoever his manager, Al Haymon, chose for him next. Showtime’s Jim Gray pressed Garcia on whether or not he’d want Haymon to choose IBF titleholder Lamont Peterson next, but Garcia wouldn’t commit so fight fans should probably hope Haymon at least tells Garcia to pick on someone his own size from here on out.
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Danny Garcia Destroys Rod Salka in Mismatch of the Year

This was a Showcase fight to get Danny G's stock back up...

If You look at Garcias last 7-8 Opponents you can definitely see that he's been in with the Best of the Best, but I'm sure Al Haymon wanted him to look good as a way to Lead Into a Peterson fight....

In my opinion, nobody has fought tougher guys over the last 2-3 years than Garcia. (Morales, Khan, Judah, Herrera, Matthysse)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPawFlo View Post
    This was a Showcase fight to get Danny G's stock back up...

If You look at Garcias last 7-8 Opponents you can definitely see that he's been in with the Best of the Best, but I'm sure Al Haymon wanted him to look good as a way to Lead Into a Peterson fight....

In my opinion, nobody has fought tougher guys over the last 2-3 years than Garcia. (Morales, Khan, Judah, Herrera, Matthysse)
    No doubt this was a showcase fight but because of the level of opponent this did absolutely nothing for Garcia's stock.

Garcia has fought a very tough schedule. He is in deed entitled to face a lesser opponent every now and then. However, someone like Salka is so far below Garcia that there is absoultely no need for that kind of fight.

As far as tough schedules in the sport go, I think Abner Mares and Carl Froch are the only fighters to have faced a tougher schedule of opponents than Garcia.

test

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    No doubt this was a showcase fight but because of the level of opponent this did absolutely nothing for Garcia's stock.

Garcia has fought a very tough schedule. He is in deed entitled to face a lesser opponent every now and then. However, someone like Salka is so far below Garcia that there is absoultely no need for that kind of fight.

As far as tough schedules in the sport go, I think Abner Mares and Carl Froch are the only fighters to have faced a tougher schedule of opponents than Garcia.
    What does the average joe know or see? He witnesses a brutal fight with hooks that hurt. Nothing more. He would have witnessed two boxers fight with Danny, the one he would presumably be rooting for, coming off the better with greater power and iq. Salka would have in the mind of the average joe just been someone who couldn't beat the champ. His stock rose, the average fan's memory is like that of a goldfish, quick to forgive and forget.

Now Garcia will likely make for a move toward 147 against an opponent who's record looks reasonable but his fighting prowess is not much greater than Salka's. Danny will have Haymon to thank once again..

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    What does the average joe know or see? He witnesses a brutal fight with hooks that hurt. Nothing more. He would have witnessed two boxers fight with Danny, the one he would presumably be rooting for, coming off the better with greater power and iq. Salka would have in the mind of the average joe just been someone who couldn't beat the champ. His stock rose, the average fan's memory is like that of a goldfish, quick to forgive and forget.

Now Garcia will likely make for a move toward 147 against an opponent who's record looks reasonable but his fighting prowess is not much greater than Salka's. Danny will have Haymon to thank once again..
    Possibly, to us die hard fans, or at least to me I noticed right off the bat in seconds time that Salka had no right to be in there, and that was by the effect the missing and glancing shots had on him. I told my girl immediately, this is not going to be good. Then before it ended, I said this kid is going to possibly get seriously hurt.

I was honestly uncomfortable watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Possibly, to us die hard fans, or at least to me I noticed right off the bat in seconds time that Salka had no right to be in there, and that was by the effect the missing and glancing shots had on him. I told my girl immediately, this is not going to be good. Then before it ended, I said this kid is going to possibly get seriously hurt.

I was honestly uncomfortable watching it.
    I put this in a different thread but this reminded me of Gatti-Gamache about a decade ago. You could see the size difference when the two were in the ring together. You could instantly see how much heavier Garcia's punchers were than Salka's. And you knew this was not going to end well for Salka.

As a long time boxing fan, it was uncomfortable to watch. This was mismatch that could have turned bad. Not only was Garcia much more skilled but so much bigger and stronger. And much like Gamache against Gatti, Salka if one thing had a ton of heart and was 100% going to go out on his shield. That was very apparent as that 2nd round was moving forward. I was just holding my breathe that he wouldn't get seriously hurt.

Garcia knew he was given the decision over Herrera as a gift from those judges in Puerto Rico. The fight last night proves it. Salka was cherry picked to fight Garcia and showcase his talents and even knock Salka out! Garcia hasn't had a KO in 2 years. Garcia did perform well exhibiting his signature, accurate, powerful punches, but who wouldn't against a joke like Salka! I can't wait for Garcia to move up to 147 so he can play with the big boys- Thurman, Porter and even contender Frankie Gomez.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Alvarez View Post
    Garcia knew he was given the decision over Herrera as a gift from those judges in Puerto Rico. The fight last night proves it. Salka was cherry picked to fight Garcia and showcase his talents and even knock Salka out! Garcia hasn't had a KO in 2 years. Garcia did perform well exhibiting his signature, accurate, powerful punches, but who wouldn't against a joke like Salka! I can't wait for Garcia to move up to 147 so he can play with the big boys- Thurman, Porter and even contender Frankie Gomez.
    Welcome Denise!!! Always glad to see a new person with a great point of view.

You speak of Garcia moving to 147 to play with the big boys and I am one who wishes he would..................but it ain't gonna happen. Garcia knows in the back of his mind that 147 would be a tall hill to climb for him. He can run 140 and line up a bunch of tomato cans and keep his record pristine. I think the only thing that would push him to 147 is a completely beatable opponent not much better than Salka or a serious check. It would not shock me if he stuck around 140 for a while if Mr. Crawford came calling. That would be a great fight and if I had to lean, I think I would lean towards Crawford.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    Welcome Denise!!! Always glad to see a new person with a great point of view.

You speak of Garcia moving to 147 to play with the big boys and I am one who wishes he would..................but it ain't gonna happen. Garcia knows in the back of his mind that 147 would be a tall hill to climb for him. He can run 140 and line up a bunch of tomato cans and keep his record pristine. I think the only thing that would push him to 147 is a completely beatable opponent not much better than Salka or a serious check. It would not shock me if he stuck around 140 for a while if Mr. Crawford came calling. That would be a great fight and if I had to lean, I think I would lean towards Crawford.
    Danny Garcia was 1-1 against Terrence Crawford in the amateurs. I thought that TC should have been 2-0. "$wift" doesn't want to see "Hunter" in the pros. I will bet my fat uncle's truck on Hunter being victorious. Holla!