English Español
Advertisement

Thread: What If Floyd................

What If Floyd................

loses to Maidana?

I am not one that thinks Chino will beat him this time either, but I was thinking about this when conversing with one of my friends. Supposing Chino beats Floyd, does anything big really change in Floyd's legacy:

-He will still be regarded as on of the best defensive fighters ever.

-He will still be regarded as one the best 25 fighters to ever put on gloves

-He will still be criticized for taking some easier fights for a predominant part of his career

-He will still be one of the three best fighters of the last 15 years. (Pac, Hop, Money May, sorry Cotto, K-Bros, Marquez but not quite)

-Even though he will have a loss, there are many fighters considered to be great with quite a few L's on their record during their better years (Ali, Frazier, Holyfield). This matters because being undefeated is an accomplishment but it is not regarded as something to be lauded in boxing even though so few have done it.

I believe the only thing that will change is the immediate. He will drop to 2 or 3 on P4P, lose a belt, and have a 1 in the L column. I also think that Floyd may become more humble afterwards. In addition, you will have the irrational Floyd haters being overly boastful and the irrational Floyd lovers saying look at what he has done.

I will admit, that I am disregarding the possibility that Chino smokes him but I believe the chances of that are minute at best.

So here's my question, in the grand scheme of things, if Money takes his first L to Chino, does anything about his legacy really change? I could be wrong, but I don't think a whole lot does. What say the great boxing minds of this site?

Advanced Users

Re: What If Floyd................

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post

So here's my question, in the grand scheme of things, if Money takes his first L to Chino, does anything about his legacy really change? I could be wrong, but I don't think a whole lot does. What say the great boxing minds of this site?
    NO! Just holla at history. Has Sugar Ray Robinson lost any history props for losing umpteen times late in his career after being a serial sucker -- I mean ducker -- in his fighting-prime days?

The GOAT Ali has lost no history props for overstaying and losing late.

Roberto Duran has lost no history props for overstaying and losing late in his career.

Julio Cesar Chavez has lost no history props for overstaying and losing late in his career.

Money May and his legacy will be fine. Even if he became Roy Jones Jr and Sugar Ray Robinson-like and lose 50-to-60 percent of his next 15 to 35 fights. Holla!

His legacy will be OK if he loses a match or two. It might hurt his feelings that he can't brag about being the best ever but thats on Floyd.

Pac lost some and I still have him above Floyd on my P4P list. Chavez got to 87-0 before he lost so even if Floyd gets to 50-0 other guys have done it. Just because you wear a hat that says TBE doesn't mean you are the best ever.

Who knows maybe if Floyd loses one he might come back stronger than before like most all-time greats did.

Who knows maybe he would take a fight with Pac since he lost already.

Floyd is already in the HOF so his legacy is secure. Just fight Pac already Lil Floyd!

I will root for Chino Maidana but Floyd knows what he has in front of him, Floyd won' let Chino wear the Everlast MX model, and the referee will be on the lookout for rough tactics right away. All signs point to Floyd by UD

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    loses to Maidana?

I am not one that thinks Chino will beat him this time either, but I was thinking about this when conversing with one of my friends. Supposing Chino beats Floyd, does anything big really change in Floyd's legacy:

-He will still be regarded as on of the best defensive fighters ever.

-He will still be regarded as one the best 25 fighters to ever put on gloves

-He will still be criticized for taking some easier fights for a predominant part of his career

-He will still be one of the three best fighters of the last 15 years. (Pac, Hop, Money May, sorry Cotto, K-Bros, Marquez but not quite)

-Even though he will have a loss, there are many fighters considered to be great with quite a few L's on their record during their better years (Ali, Frazier, Holyfield). This matters because being undefeated is an accomplishment but it is not regarded as something to be lauded in boxing even though so few have done it.

I believe the only thing that will change is the immediate. He will drop to 2 or 3 on P4P, lose a belt, and have a 1 in the L column. I also think that Floyd may become more humble afterwards. In addition, you will have the irrational Floyd haters being overly boastful and the irrational Floyd lovers saying look at what he has done.

I will admit, that I am disregarding the possibility that Chino smokes him but I believe the chances of that are minute at best.

His legacy is secure, although I do not consider him in the top 25 of all time.

However, his PPV sales would either gone up or down drastically depending on his loss.

If he gets blasted out his ppv return may be higher as people are anxious to see how he performs.

If he loses a boring and inactive, be on his bicycle stalling to a close loss decision, some may not care to see him bore them again.

Although Floyd's "tbe" bs is and insult , ridiculous and drives me crazy, every solid win he has at this age is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    His legacy is secure, although I do not consider him in the top 25 of all time.

However, his PPV sales would either gone up or down drastically depending on his loss.

If he gets blasted out his ppv return may be higher as people are anxious to see how he performs.

If he loses a boring and inactive, be on his bicycle stalling to a close loss decision, some may not care to see him bore them again.

Although Floyd's "tbe" bs is and insult , ridiculous and drives me crazy, every solid win he has at this age is impressive.
    I agree with you totally but I think we are in the minority.

I do believe that win or lose against Maidana that Mayweather's legacy is secure. Unless he fights and beats another star in the prime of their career (and not Pacquiao, I said prime), his legacy is pretty well set.

I also do not consider him to be a top 25 all time great. When I was reviewing a list recently, I was hard pressed to put him in the top 50. I think I concluded a few weeks ago between 50 and 75. Unless Floyd say beats Golovkin at 160 (completely far fetched scenario but for the sake of argument I am tossing it out there), I don't see him moving up or down any pundits list any further than were they have him ranked currently on their all time lists.

Also, if he somehow loses there will be a third fight. And that third fight could actually do more PPV than the first two fights combined. Yes I did say first two fights combined. That would depend on how entertaining and close a fight this hypothetical loss would be. If this "loss" were entertaining and close, the attention and marketability for a third fight would be very high and I think a lot of casual boxing fans purchase. That would push the PPV numbers way up, not quite to Mayweather-Canelo like numbers but not far off either.

By the way, like most I have a hard time seeing Maidana winning the rematch. But then again, for their first fight I thought it'd be difficult for Maidana to win a round coming into that fight and he certainly did much better than I and most boxing people thought.

If anything, Chino should come in better prepared on what to expect and what proper changes he needs to win rounds for a win.

He NOW realizes Floyd is slick as hell and he is not gonna get him out of there by hitting the head.

His team needs to do some PR work to the judges and fans about body punches being as effective as head punches.

Chino should hit that body and nothing else for the first 6 rounds, and I mean nothing else.

Body, body, body, reposition, angle out, buy time, allow your shots to score while floyd is on defense, stay away so floyd cant shoot anything in return and then back in the box for 3 more hard, sharp shots. angle out repeat.

Beat Floyd on short activity and controlling the pace alone....

That should be the goal.

Also when Floyd bicycles out and runs stand right in the middle of the ring and dont take a step. put your hands up and look around making Floyd look like he is running from the fight.. I would do this at times just to get to floyd, yea it sounds stupid but let floyd look like he is running and not fighting. no one wins rounds running by themself