English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Not All Fights Were Mismatches This Weekend

Not All Fights Were Mismatches This Weekend

As we all know, the Showtime card was atrocious as was expected. I had hopes that maybe one fight would turn out good of the three main events but those hopes were dashed.

But there were some very good fights from this weekend. The Monty Meza-Clay - Alan Herrera bout on Fox Sports was absolutely tremendous. The main event on that card featuring Sammy Vazquez was also pretty good. And the Glozkov-Rossy heavyweight fight on NBC Sports Network was a pretty good scrap.

The fight of the weekend though was a strawweight unification bout between Francisco Rodriguez and Katsunari Takayama. This was an eventually matched fight on paper that promised action and did not disappoint. These two were going at it early and the second half of the fight turned into a full blown give and take slugfest. Its definitely going to get some mentions on fight of the year ballots at year end. If you haven't watched it yet, here is a link to the fight and I promise it is well worth the time to watch.

Re: Not All Fights Were Mismatches This Weekend

Watched the fight. Glad to see my old pal, Sammy Viruet, who was one of my refs, as the third man that night. Yes, this one was ythe total opposite of the fights I sat ringside for at Barclay's.

Thank you, youtube.

-Randy G.

Speaking of these little guys, there are some great fights coming up in the Flyweight division. On September 5th, Akira Yaegashi takes on Roman Gonzalez in Japan for a Flyweight Title and the following day Juan Estrada takes on Giovani Segura for a unified title. These are two tremendous fights that really belong on HBO or Showtime. Heck, I'd be more than willing to plunk over some money to watch these bouts on PPV. I really don't understand why the networks shun these weight classes as there are so many good fights that can be made and can be made of a fraction of what say Showtime paid for the garbage they showed last week.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Speaking of these little guys, there are some great fights coming up in the Flyweight division. On September 5th, Akira Yaegashi takes on Roman Gonzalez in Japan for a Flyweight Title and the following day Juan Estrada takes on Giovani Segura for a unified title. These are two tremendous fights that really belong on HBO or Showtime. Heck, I'd be more than willing to plunk over some money to watch these bouts on PPV. I really don't understand why the networks shun these weight classes as there are so many good fights that can be made and can be made of a fraction of what say Showtime paid for the garbage they showed last week.
    The networks shun them because there is not an American pug in this mix. The AmerKanos are still seeking for the next Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson and Kevin Kelly. Holla!