English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maidana looking massive in training.

Maidana looking massive in training.

Check out El Chino as he prepares for his Sept. 13 rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

In spite of trainer Robert Garcia's claims of Maidana coming in lighter for the rematch, it looks like the opposite could happen in their second go-around.

Maidana came into the ring at 165 pounds. Garcia vowed to have Maidana lighter to increase his speed and stamina.

Judging from the footage, however, Maidana looks to be training at around 170 pounds.

How will the extra weight affect him? Is it by design? Or has he been living a little to nicely in the aftermath of his excellent showing in the first bout?

It should be noted that his training regime, nutrition and diet are significantly different for the rematch.

What do you guys say?

Re: Maidana looking massive in training.

I think its all by design. The thought being a similar game plan to the first fight but with maybe with more weight can push Floyd around and try to tire him some more for the later rounds. In a way, the strategy used by Joey Maxim against Sugar Ray Robinson. Mind you, I said in a way.

Not saying it will work but that's the thought. They will talk about being lighter coming into the fight but in actuality hope to come in bigger. Then push, muscle, lean on, toss around, etc Mayweather in the early rounds and hope that this will slow him some down the stretch.

Shadow, nearly all of the above video is shot from the chest up. Rarely do we get a long look at Maidana from his feet to his head. I found it very difficult to determine if he weighed 170, 160 or 150.

Reports from friends in his camp tell me everyone involved with him is thrilled with his weight and the way he looks in training. I am hearing this is his finest training camp ever.

I think the rematch is going to be just as exciting as the first fight.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Shadow, nearly all of the above video is shot from the chest up. Rarely do we get a long look at Maidana from his feet to his head. I found it very difficult to determine if he weighed 170, 160 or 150.

Reports from friends in his camp tell me everyone involved with him is thrilled with his weight and the way he looks in training. I am hearing this is his finest training camp ever.

-Randy G.
    Commish, I always love how you always have the inside scoop. I appreciate it and keep it coming because I am interested in every little tidbit.

Your statement below made me want to know has anyone ever said to you or have you heard anyone say that we looked bad, or training isn't going good or something to that nature? There are several things in sports that have become rhetoric and I wonder if "he looks good in training" is one of them.

As for Maidana, he does look thick. Even his face looks thicker. I hope this plan does not backfire on Maidana. In the first fight, his size, strength, and weight were not the problem. His problem was that he slowed down the stretch, his endurance. Depending on what type of weight is being put on him (major muscle, lean muscle, fat, etc,) could be a determining factor as to how he holds up in the championship rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I think its all by design. The thought being a similar game plan to the first fight but with maybe with more weight can push Floyd around and try to tire him some more for the later rounds. In a way, the strategy used by Joey Maxim against Sugar Ray Robinson. Mind you, I said in a way.

Not saying it will work but that's the thought. They will talk about being lighter coming into the fight but in actuality hope to come in bigger. Then push, muscle, lean on, toss around, etc Mayweather in the early rounds and hope that this will slow him some down the stretch.
    I am with you. I think the whole "come in lighter " talk is propaganda.

I think Chino comes in 5 lbs heavier, they realized that he cut weight much easier than they thought and instead of going balls out for the first 8 rounds at 100% he would be best to go 80% and put that mass on Floyd and try to wear him down with scoring and thudding shots. One thing is for certain Floyd did not hurt Chino and when being leaned on or firing off the ropes Floyd's shots had no buzz at all on them for Chino. Chino can take a shot and was not deterred by Floyd's punches. He faded because he blew his energy fast and early.

I did not see Floyd have an easy time "handling" Chino in the second half of the fight as people say. How many decisive rounds did Floyd really win? I mean clear cut decisive?

-Randy G.
    Thanks Commish! My man, always there with the inside scoops!

Not saying I question your sources but like Doc says, that does become rhetoric.

They're not going to come out and say "Chino's really looking fat. He really misses Miss Mircera. I don't know how we're going to make weight."

I don't believe them when they say he's having his best training camp ever.

It's not even as good as last time. There's no way I believe that. Impossible!

Well, it may be the best if one looks at it as the best training camp post-Ariza. But it can never be the best. When he gets violently destroyed in seven or eight rounds, that will be all the proof we need of just that.

Also, like Doc points out, it's the way his face look and how he looks up top. The legs generally don't fluctuate in mass.

(And I actually did take a look at his legs in this one and another video where's trying to duplicate some of the effects from his straining in the spring by using this Super Fly looking mask.)

A guy like Marquez, his legs are still at featherweight while his upper body is now completely bulky.

Anyway, comparing him with fight night May 4 and now, he looks heavier for sure. No way he's less than 160. Absolutely no way.

@Oubobcat, I don't think they are trying to get him bigger. You really can't get much bigger as a welterweight than 165.

If they have him cutting 23 pounds only to put it back on... I don't know, it's a little wild.

Watch, this dude is going to come in at the 30-day weigh-in right on the money. And I can almost guarantee you he will have had to cut to make that weight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    I am with you. I think the whole "come in lighter " talk is propaganda.

I think Chino comes in 5 lbs heavier, they realized that he cut weight much easier than they thought and instead of going balls out for the first 8 rounds at 100% he would be best to go 80% and put that mass on Floyd and try to wear him down with scoring and thudding shots. One thing is for certain Floyd did not hurt Chino and when being leaned on or firing off the ropes Floyd's shots had no buzz at all on them for Chino. Chino can take a shot and was not deterred by Floyd's punches. He faded because he blew his energy fast and early.

I did not see Floyd have an easy time "handling" Chino in the second half of the fight as people say. How many decisive rounds did Floyd really win? I mean clear cut decisive?
    Upon first viewing, I thought around 4-5 decisive ones with 3-4 narrowly edged ones. (I would've been fine with a draw, I thought.)

After watching it again a few times and getting over the shock of Maidana's shock and awe tactics, I thought 8 or 9.

If you look closely, a lot of the shots he landed were rabbit shots so I can't score them. They said he took the first four but I actually think it was no worse than 2-2.

Altogether, the scorecards were pretty good. I can see how anyone scoring on the night of the fight could have either score.

About that Seckbach video at the top of this thread: We don't know (at least I don't think we do) when it was shot. Was it yesterday? Last week? Last month?

My sources tell me Seckbach is one of the few allowe to shoot videos, but NEVER during a sparring session. This particular one could have been from a few weeks ago My source tells me he doesn't think Maidana is anything above 160 now, with just over one month to go.

I will try to find out more.

-Randy G

About that Seckbach video at the top of this thread: We don't know (at least I don't think we do) when it was shot. Was it yesterday? Last week? Last month?

My sources tell me Seckbach is one of the few allowe to shoot videos, but NEVER during a sparring session. This particular one could have been from a few weeks ago My source tells me he doesn't think Maidana is anything above 160 now, with just over one month to go.

I will try to find out more.

-Randy G
    Couldn't have been that long ago, he just reported to camp a few weeks ago. And he usually uploads right away.

I have a hard time believing he trains under 160. They don't take weight off gradually, they do massive cuts shortly prior to the fight like the UFC guys. Or at least they did when Ariza was there.

But yes, dig a little more!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Couldn't have been that long ago, he just reported to camp a few weeks ago. And he usually uploads right away.

I have a hard time believing he trains under 160. They don't take weight off gradually, they do massive cuts shortly prior to the fight like the UFC guys. Or at least they did when Ariza was there.

But yes, dig a little more!
    I would agree. That is only 13lbs over the fight limit with more than a month to go. Everyday people can burn 8% of their body off in a healthy way in a months time. This guy has trainers, nutritionists, and assistants that help him with every little thing related to the ring making it way easier for him. I could easily see him being 165-170 right now and making weight with no problem.