English Espaņol
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The One British Heavyweight Heavyweight No Wanted to Face

Re: The One British Heavyweight Heavyweight No Wanted to Face

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I agree. Savage was hard but there were harder. He knew his place amongst the real brawlers and bashers in England.
    I know he's a bit before our time but did the Lethal Weapon really have a badass rep? I mean, getting his ear ripped off before knocking a dude cold?! That's pretty badass.

Nice piece Shadow. That was not what I expected to see when I watched the video. After that build up I thought Bert was in trouble.
    That bare knuckle guy kind of looks like my father in law. Back in '91 I was picking up my girlfriend who would later become my wife to go out on a date or something. The Holyfield-Cooper title fight was about start. I'm telling my future in laws how great Evander is and how this fight won't take long. Smokin Bert had other plans. I don't know if Holyfield was overlooking his lightly regarded challenger or was distracted by fighting in his hometown or what but all hell broke loose in that fight. After a few back and forth rounds Cooper had Evander staggering around like a drunken sailor. The ropes kept Holy up at a key moment and it was correctly ruled a knockdown. That eight count probably saved Evander, he survived and rallied to stop Cooper in the seventh round.
    My heart was beating like crazy the whole time and the future in laws were looking at me all crazy. As soon as it was over my girl and I ran the hell out of there.
    You never knew which version of Bert Cooper was going to show up. That night he was good enough to come a few punches short of becoming the Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I know he's a bit before our time but did the Lethal Weapon really have a badass rep? I mean, getting his ear ripped off before knocking a dude cold?! That's pretty badass.
    From what I know he talked better then he could walk. There are plenty of taxmen and brutes who can bite your ear off and proceed to knock you out, but I don't think Joe would have done it to the best men in the country. I may be ignorant of most of his exploits.. but he isn't as hard a ******* as other guys you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    From what I know he talked better then he could walk. There are plenty of taxmen and brutes who can bite your ear off and proceed to knock you out, but I don't think Joe would have done it to the best men in the country. I may be ignorant of most of his exploits.. but he isn't as hard a ******* as other guys you can find.
    Here's how one UK publication described the fights that often went down in abandoned warehouses:

"In bareknuckle boxing, they do away with some of the smaller details, like gloves and rules. Head-butting is fine, kicking goes down well, and if you fancy chewing on your opponent, no one stops you."

(Thats hilarious, by the way.)

So yeah, could easily see some inferior brute rip his ear off only to get kayoed.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-07-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Advanced Users

Here's how one UK publication described the fights that often went down in abandoned warehouses:

"In bareknuckle boxing, they do away with some of the smaller details, like gloves and rules. Head-butting is fine, kicking goes down well, and if you fancy chewing on your opponent, no one stops you."

(Thats hilarious, by the way.)

So yeah, could easily see some inferior brute rip his ear off only to get kayoed.
    Don't forget that there are also optical illusion everywhere for entertainment and myth sake. On the piece that I posted -- but somehow it got lost -- I mentioned how con man "Lethal Weapon" lost a fake ear that a dwarfish Pinoy Aborigine knocked into the crowd as he put Savage to sleep. UK Joe even came into the fighting cage wearing a caveman outfit with the hairpiece and all.

Where there are arenas where men are beating hebejeebeez outta each other, there are Houdini-and-Merlin-The-Magician optical illusions and cons going on.

OMG! How many good ears do Lethal Weapon have? He got his ears tore off so many times in so many places. And new ones just kept growing back. I bet nowadays that he still has two good ears. But than again, he may be ahead of the curve. Because in Asia, we are already growing body parts back with stem cells. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-07-2014 at 03:54 PM.

He may hit hard but that first hook shook his core and the next one put him on queer street, a few more and right hand shook his soul.

That was quite entertaining, goes to show how boxing techniques are superior to a nuclear single right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Don't forget that there are also optical illusion everywhere for entertainment and myth sake. On the piece that I posted -- but somehow it got lost -- I mentioned how con man "Lethal Weapon" lost a fake ear that a dwarfish Pinoy Aborigine knocked into the crowd as he put Savage to sleep. UK Joe even came into the fighting cage wearing a caveman outfit with the hairpiece and all.

Where there are arenas where men are beating hebejeebeez outta each other, there are Houdini-and-Merlin-The-Magician optical illusions and cons going on.

OMG! How many good ears do Lethal Weapon have? He got his ears tore off so many times in so many places. And new ones just kept growing back. I bet nowadays that he still has two good ears. But than again, he may be ahead of the curve. Because in Asia, we are already growing body parts back with stem cells. Holla!
    LOL that's hilarious.

He may have been a jiver and this and that but Radam, let me ask you this.

Would YOU have wanted that work? I'm talking that Lethal work. That 6-3, 230 pounds, one-ear having, heavy handed work?

Would you have gotten in the ring with the Lethal Savage, sparring or otherwise?

Remember his slogan: "I want to kill everyone!"

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Nice piece Shadow. That was not what I expected to see when I watched the video. After that build up I thought Bert was in trouble.
    That bare knuckle guy kind of looks like my father in law. Back in '91 I was picking up my girlfriend who would later become my wife to go out on a date or something. The Holyfield-Cooper title fight was about start. I'm telling my future in laws how great Evander is and how this fight won't take long. Smokin Bert had other plans. I don't know if Holyfield was overlooking his lightly regarded challenger or was distracted by fighting in his hometown or what but all hell broke loose in that fight. After a few back and forth rounds Cooper had Evander staggering around like a drunken sailor. The ropes kept Holy up at a key moment and it was correctly ruled a knockdown. That eight count probably saved Evander, he survived and rallied to stop Cooper in the seventh round.
    My heart was beating like crazy the whole time and the future in laws were looking at me all crazy. As soon as it was over my girl and I ran the hell out of there.
    You never knew which version of Bert Cooper was going to show up. That night he was good enough to come a few punches short of becoming the Heavyweight Champion of the World.
    Thanks, Roast! That's exactly the reaction I was going for when I wrote it. Because that's the reaction I had when I first saw it.

After hearing the intro and looking at him, I was like, "this bare knuckle dude is gonna smoke Smokin Bert."

Then I saw him move around and got to thinking, "this is not going to last long." LOL.

Sure enough, just goes to show there's a big difference between a street fighting badass and a well-schooled pugilist.

And yes, just a few punches from the crown.....

LOL that's hilarious.

Would YOU have wanted that work? I'm talking that Lethal work. That 6-3, 230 pounds, one-ear having, heavy handed work?

Would you have gotten in the ring with the Lethal Savage, sparring or otherwise?

Best fighter slogan of all time!!!

haha

Advanced Users

LOL that's hilarious.

YUP! And I would've kayoed him in 13 seconds. Savage took Smoke's arse thrashing for about 33 seconds and a couple of hooks, because Smoke didn't go to the body.

I would've paralyzed the Lethal Savage with a liver shot and a poke to solar plexus, then a torpedo on his chin and a nuke on his temple. And if he were still standing, a shot to his armpit, a knee to his knee and a stab to his nose. And that is all she row, because British Joe was using his power to help you knock him out.

Dude came in with all his weight at the top portion of his anatomy. He had no foundation or even a remote proper stance. Holla!