English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Who would turn down $1.7m?

Who would turn down $1.7m?

Rumour around that Eddie Hearn has offered the following boxers $1.7m (1m sterling) to fight Scott Quigg (WBA Super Bantam Champ); Leo Samta Cruz, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Carl Frampton and Kid Galahad - All of whom said no.

Nothing concrete yet, could be false..

Now I'm not calling anyone scared, but why decline a belt and 7 figures if it were true?
    Last edited by Skibbz; 08-06-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Re: Who would turn down $1.7m?

To fight Scott Quigg? I mean Quigg is a good fighter but not a world beater. Santa Cruz and Rigondeaux would each be substantially favored in that contest. Its hard to see all those fighters turning down that kind of money to face Quigg. My guess is those reports are false.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Rumour around that Eddie Hearn has offered the following boxers $1.7m (1m sterling) to fight Scott Quigg (WBA Super Bantam Champ); Leo Samta Cruz, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Carl Frampton and Kid Galahad - All of whom said no.

Nothing concrete yet, could be false..

Now I'm not calling anyone scared, but why decline a belt and 7 figures if it were true?
    I somehow doubt any of the above fighters turned down the offer, if it indeed was really made. I could see Quigg possibly beating Galahad & Frampton, but in no way can I see him beating Leo Santa Cruz or even hanging in there with Guillermo Rigondeaux.

As you said, this "could be false."

My guess is it's very false.

-Randy G

Agreed especially a guy like Rigo or Santa Cruz .... These guys don't get any more than a few hundred thousand at a time.
    Rigo would battle GGG for a two million.

While we're on the subject ....reportedly, Jean Pascal turned down 1.1 million to fight a faded Travoris Cloud. (SMH).

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Agreed especially a guy like Rigo or Santa Cruz .... These guys don't get any more than a few hundred thousand at a time.
    Rigo would battle GGG for a two million.

While we're on the subject ....reportedly, Jean Pascal turned down 1.1 million to fight a faded Travoris Cloud. (SMH).
    I heard that Pascal rumor but supposedly he is now eyeballing a fight with Adonis Stevenson. He is certain to make more money for that fight.

And speaking of Cloud, he is rumored to be facing 4-0 Montreal based prospect Artur Beterbiev next. Now this is an interesting fight. Beterbiev was an accomplished amateur and has looked good so far as a pro in his four fights. Of course, Cloud is a major league step up and one he may or may not be ready for. I am actually much more intrigued by this potential match up than Pascal-Cloud and think it will be a much better fight. Hope it comes off and lands somewhere on US tv.

Yeah I think it's highly unsubstantiated but I think Hearn has the wallet to put an offer in and around those waters to some of those guys. I think his prime target right would be Frampton to face Quigg in a big domestic tear up. Anyone know whether Rigo would be open to fighting on said fight's undercard? I don't know how he acts or what he thinks of himself, whether he's above that slot or not, but I'm sure someone on this informed forums will!

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    And speaking of Cloud, he is rumored to be facing 4-0 Montreal based prospect Artur Beterbiev next. Now this is an interesting fight. Beterbiev was an accomplished amateur and has looked good so far as a pro in his four fights. Of course, Cloud is a major league step up and one he may or may not be ready for. I am actually much more intrigued by this potential match up than Pascal-Cloud and think it will be a much better fight. Hope it comes off and lands somewhere on US tv.
    Indeed, this is a very interesting fight. Beterbiev has power. He likes to commit to his shots. I'll be putting money on this fight.

@Shadow, thank you for the welcome in the other thread.

As you say- nothing concrete yet, though my guess is with the rest of the guys here that the likes of Rigondeaux and Santa Cruz would likely not turn down that sort of money.

However. Quigg is a highly dangerous opponent, and is excellent at placing his opponent for his wicked KO power to be delivered first class to the head or body. He may not be a 'world beater', as Oubob rightly points out, but anything can happen in the ring with a skilled and powerful guy like Quigg, and the big Bantamweight names may believe that the potential risk to their career is not worth the pay, even if that pay is $1.7 million.