English Español
Advertisement
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Not long till Porter Brook

Re: Not long till Porter Brook

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    The one thing we don't know about Brook is how will he respond in a big fight with a fighter that he isn't expected to easily handle in the ring.

Skibbz, you are correct in that Brook tends to stoop to the level of his competition. The question will be under the bright lights and in an event he is not favored to steamroll his opponent entering how he will respond? Will this level of opponent bring out the best in Brook and all the talent that is apparent?

I don't dispute that we could see a different Brook from say some other fights of his we have seen in the past. It has certainly happened before in this sport on many occasions when a fighter with talent suddenly puts it altogether on one night and puts on a dazzling performance. The most vivid example of that was when Jame "Buster" Douglas (another Ohio fighter) defeated Mike Tyson over 20 years ago.

Honestly, I don't see it happening here though. I think Porter is very focused and will come out with that in your face pressure from the opening bell much like his last two fights against Alexander and Malignaggi. Those bad habits Brook has fallen into will hurt him when facing this relentless pressure and Porter will find it easy to land power shots against Brook when say he pulls straight back with his chin exposed. I think Porter's pressure will be the ultimate undoing of Brook here. We will find out in about a week.
    I am sure he will respond like a professional. He's fought in the US and this is the shot he's been waiting for. He's got a good strong head and won't falter.

We've set out our stalls and now all there really is left to do is wait for the first bell to ring. I can't wait as I'm sure you can't, it's going to be a great battle of two young lions.

@Scar thanks for sharing the video. That sparring partner would have been eaten alive after the 3rd jab he threw if Porter were really to give it to him. He doesn't bring it back fast enough, leaves himself too exposed when throwing it, Porter would deck with him an overhand right if it were for real!

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    The one thing we don't know about Brook is how will he respond in a big fight with a fighter that he isn't expected to easily handle in the ring.
    That's exactly what I've been telling everyone looking forward to this fight. We really don't know what Brook really has to offer in a major fight like this while we do know what Porter is going to bring, which is why Brook is generally overlooked and expected to lose. That's what adds some mystery to Brook's ability and fight plan which makes this far more interesting. One thing we know for sure though is that Brook has heart and has proven it in his fights against Jones. Whatever happens I'm fully expecting a tough 50/50 fight and will be genuinely shocked if either fighter dominates this one easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    @Scar thanks for sharing the video. That sparring partner would have been eaten alive after the 3rd jab he threw if Porter were really to give it to him. He doesn't bring it back fast enough, leaves himself too exposed when throwing it, Porter would deck with him an overhand right if it were for real!
    My pleasure!. Yes he will and could have but it's sparring anyway(as you clearly know and pointed out) and Porter was most likely testing things out and working on positioning. I like how Porter and his team are showing overconfidence with this video and playing mind games. Lets see if Brook will backfire and embarrass them for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I see the angle you're taking Storm but I don't think Kell will succumb to the nerves once the bell rings, he believes he is predestined to boxing greatness and this is the first step toward the pantheon of pugilistic gods. I think if anyone may mess up in the first few rounds it could well be Porter. He may come and meet Brook with his jab for a few tentative moments and then throw caution to the wind and come in like a bull. That will give the cold calculating Brook a chance to shoot his right hand at a less than well guarded jawline.

I don't see Porter running out of gas, I think he's got one of the best levels of stamina and endurance in the sport, but I think he will find that he can't maraud in when faced with an accurate and powerful puncher like Brook.

When watching Brook fight it's easy to conclude that he's not very good and that his record has been pampered, but he has a bad tendency to stoop to the level of his competition. He needs a challenge to bring the best out in himself and that's what Porter will provide.

It's a match up between two of the future stars of boxing, yet it's a little quiet..

Fair enough Skibbz.

My take is as follows.

After watching Brook’s last few fights and also Porter V Alexander, it’s hard to make a compelling case for Brooks; because I don’t see much in him (except maybe power and activity) that’s better than Devon.

A lot of Shawn's punches in his fight with Alexander were, in my opinion, not entirely with purpose. I do appreciate it was a righty Vs a Lefty though, and with those you often just have to grind it out and suck up the fact that your style and class may go out the window; as you slug.

But hey, whilst Porter is obviously strong, sharp, in good practice/shape, and has good durability and punch resistance; his game-plan is still pretty raw, basic and susceptible to (powerful only) counters.

It’s always easy to come forward and rush/pressure a guy like Porter did, when your opponent has no (noticeably significant) power to make you pay (Devon, despite being fast, isn’t really a KO artist) - from there (exactly as Devon did) your man hesitates, second guess himself and finds that as soon as his resting heart rate is elevated he can't think quickly enough.

Triple those concerns when you don't have the power - as Alexander didn't - to keep a guy like Hatton/Porter off you.

Hey, I appreciate that this is boxing - therefore anything can happen.

But, another thing, some aspects of Porter’s style reminds me of Juran Urango.

Which in itself is strange, as Devon seriously cleaned Urango’s cockhole (sorry TSS admin ) whilst Juan was in full flight, when they last fought.

It would be interesting to know what both these guys (Devon and Shawn) weighed in on fight night.

As aside from Shawn clearly being the stronger/bigger fighter, the Porter V Alexander fight looked like a light welterweight was fighting a welterweight.

And Alexander wasn’t the welterweight.

As you can see I am not necessarily saying that Porter or Brook will win.

But I am saying that I think Brook looks the least capable and has the harder challenge.

I would like to see Brook win, and then for him to go onto fight Kahn.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    Fair enough Skibbz.

My take is as follows.

After watching Brook’s last few fights and also Porter V Alexander, it’s hard to make a compelling case for Brooks; because I don’t see much in him (except maybe power and activity) that’s better than Devon.

A lot of Shawn's punches in his fight with Alexander were, in my opinion, not entirely with purpose. I do appreciate it was a righty Vs a Lefty though, and with those you often just have to grind it out and suck up the fact that your style and class may go out the window; as you slug.

But hey, whilst Porter is obviously strong, sharp, in good practice/shape, and has good durability and punch resistance; his game-plan is still pretty raw, basic and susceptible to (powerful only) counters.

It’s always easy to come forward and rush/pressure a guy like Porter did, when your opponent has no (noticeably significant) power to make you pay (Devon, despite being fast, isn’t really a KO artist) - from there (exactly as Devon did) your man hesitates, second guess himself and finds that as soon as his resting heart rate is elevated he can't think quickly enough.

Triple those concerns when you don't have the power - as Alexander didn't - to keep a guy like Hatton/Porter off you.

Which in itself is strange, as Devon seriously cleaned Urango’s cockhole (sorry TSS admin ) whilst Juan was in full flight, when they last fought.

It would be interesting to know what both these guys (Devon and Shawn) weighed in on fight night.

As aside from Shawn clearly being the stronger/bigger fighter, the Porter V Alexander fight looked like a light welterweight was fighting a welterweight.

I see what you mean about Urango, Hatton dealt with him too and I suppose you would expect Porter to deal with him much the same but Devon dealt with Urango but couldn't handle Porter. As i'm sure you know, the subtleties between fighters proved the difference between an Urango and a Porter.

That said, and with all that you mentioned taken into account, I see Brook's superior boxing skill and power taking charge. Porter will naturally try hard to enforce his fight but will find himself on the end of superior technique with the forceful backing of blunt power. Brook is coming to make a name for himself worldwide in the welterweight division, after next week's fight, people will be calling him out from all across the world doubt, for a champion's door is always knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    Fair enough Skibbz.

My take is as follows.

Porter similar to Juan Urango? Storm you are tough. Real Tough. I respect it though.

Porter in my eyes is much better than Urango. They are both hard charging punchers but the similarities in my eyes end there. Urango's feet were awful and he had no speed. Porter has decent feet and hands and I think is much more technically sound than Urango.

I think this fight simply boils down to one thing. Can Brook buzz Porter? If he can, I think it throws Porter's gameplan off. Porter would be forced to box a lot more which is something that Porter is not use to. If it becomes a battle of technique, Brook may win it going away. If he can't buzz "Showtime", Porter may KO him.