English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not long till Porter Brook

Re: Not long till Porter Brook

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Just something to mention, Porter has been down in sparring several times before. Maybe that led to a cautious approach in some fights, and now he follows a more caution to the wind type of style and comes marauding forward. Either way I'm sure Brook will give it a good checking over for us come the night of the fight.

You would be surprised at the amount of guys who get dropped regularly in sparring. Guys try different things in sparring and, BING! They get tagged and down they go.

In many camps, as soon as the "boss" gets his bell rung and goes rubbery-legged, the trainer hollers "Time!" and the sparring partner backs off and takes a stroll while the boss clears his head. A sparring partner dare not throw a follow-up shot after landing one which staggered the man who is paying him. If he does, he's as good as unemployed.

Porter-Brooks should be an enjoyable war. I just think Porter has too much talent and weaponry for Brooks to handle.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    You would be surprised at the amount of guys who get dropped regularly in sparring. Guys try different things in sparring and, BING! They get tagged and down they go.

In many camps, as soon as the "boss" gets his bell rung and goes rubbery-legged, the trainer hollers "Time!" and the sparring partner backs off and takes a stroll while the boss clears his head. A sparring partner dare not throw a follow-up shot after landing one which staggered the man who is paying him. If he does, he's as good as unemployed.

Porter-Brooks should be an enjoyable war. I just think Porter has too much talent and weaponry for Brooks to handle.

-Randy G.
    I knew a guy that sparred with Margarito, Clottey, and Zab. He said that all three of them would get popped in sparring on the regular. He emphasized the fact that Margarito used to almost get mauled in sparring.

Alot of boxers hate sparring but love the training and some are the reverse. Whether it be experimenting or disinterest, it is not uncommon for guys to look less of themselves during a session.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

-Randy G.
    It's no surprise to me commissioner, you can't swim without getting wet, but my point was made because Porter who does not look like a small welterweight got put down twice in one session by a fighter who is a natural lightweight. Sure he got up, reorientated himself and fought back which pleased all watching, but the question marks were left in the minds of those watching.

That was a few years ago and no doubt that Porter is more experienced and has grown slightly more, but he wasn't off balanced when the blows dropped him...

I really hope that it does become a war where both fighters bring their respective tools and get to business from the first. I am a big fan of Porter, I always liked his style and have followed his progress since he turned professional, but in this fight I can't help but side with Kell - he's going to simply have that little bit more in all departments.

It all comes down to whether Brook can contain and handle Porter's pressure laden style, and, of course, whether Brook can meaningfully sustain it even if Brook can't.

Brook is a quality operator - most from Ingle's gyms are - but this is a step up in several ways for him no matter whether you view his skills and durability as being better than Porter's or not; and they may well be.

It's very hard to travel into another guy's backyard and fight him.

I would say the added difficulty is in the order of at least 15%.

Add to that you have Porter's style that will theoretically capitalize on any prefight nerves and tension.

And if a prime Mike Tyson cries before fights, you can bet both guys will be feeling the nerves and will be tight.

Such considerations all favor Porter, as his style doesn't rely on being loose as much as Brooks.

Still, if Porter runs out of gas - one visible flaw of his stamina hungry approach - and finds that his lack of economic movement has not served him well, provided Brook too isn't too depleted in a cardiovascular sense; he could be in for trouble.

I like the match up.

British champions are good for the USA and overall global aspect of boxing.

Oh, there not bad for the British aspect of boxing too.

Where is all the hype? The anticipation and fight week fever???
    I'm wondering the same thing too!. Right after Froch vs Groves II, this is THE fight/event I've been looking forward to the most this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    It all comes down to whether Brook can contain and handle Porter's pressure laden style, and, of course, whether Brook can meaningfully sustain it even if Brook can't.

Brook is a quality operator - most from Ingle's gyms are - but this is a step up in several ways for him no matter whether you view his skills and durability as being better than Porter's or not; and they may well be.

It's very hard to travel into another guy's backyard and fight him.

I would say the added difficulty is in the order of at least 15%.

Add to that you have Porter's style that will theoretically capitalize on any prefight nerves and tension.

And if a prime Mike Tyson cries before fights, you can bet both guys will be feeling the nerves and will be tight.

Such considerations all favor Porter, as his style doesn't rely on being loose as much as Brooks.

Still, if Porter runs out of gas - one visible flaw of his stamina hungry approach - and finds that his lack of economic movement has not served him well, provided Brook too isn't too depleted in a cardiovascular sense; he could be in for trouble.

I like the match up.

British champions are good for the USA and overall global aspect of boxing.

Oh, there not bad for the British aspect of boxing too.

I see the angle you're taking Storm but I don't think Kell will succumb to the nerves once the bell rings, he believes he is predestined to boxing greatness and this is the first step toward the pantheon of pugilistic gods. I think if anyone may mess up in the first few rounds it could well be Porter. He may come and meet Brook with his jab for a few tentative moments and then throw caution to the wind and come in like a bull. That will give the cold calculating Brook a chance to shoot his right hand at a less than well guarded jawline.

I don't see Porter running out of gas, I think he's got one of the best levels of stamina and endurance in the sport, but I think he will find that he can't maraud in when faced with an accurate and powerful puncher like Brook.

When watching Brook fight it's easy to conclude that he's not very good and that his record has been pampered, but he has a bad tendency to stoop to the level of his competition. He needs a challenge to bring the best out in himself and that's what Porter will provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing too!. Right after Froch vs Groves II, this is THE fight/event I've been looking forward to the most this year.
    It's a match up between two of the future stars of boxing, yet it's a little quiet..

I see the angle you're taking Storm but I don't think Kell will succumb to the nerves once the bell rings, he believes he is predestined to boxing greatness and this is the first step toward the pantheon of pugilistic gods. I think if anyone may mess up in the first few rounds it could well be Porter. He may come and meet Brook with his jab for a few tentative moments and then throw caution to the wind and come in like a bull. That will give the cold calculating Brook a chance to shoot his right hand at a less than well guarded jawline.

I don't see Porter running out of gas, I think he's got one of the best levels of stamina and endurance in the sport, but I think he will find that he can't maraud in when faced with an accurate and powerful puncher like Brook.

When watching Brook fight it's easy to conclude that he's not very good and that his record has been pampered, but he has a bad tendency to stoop to the level of his competition. He needs a challenge to bring the best out in himself and that's what Porter will provide.

It's a match up between two of the future stars of boxing, yet it's a little quiet..
    The one thing we don't know about Brook is how will he respond in a big fight with a fighter that he isn't expected to easily handle in the ring.

Skibbz, you are correct in that Brook tends to stoop to the level of his competition. The question will be under the bright lights and in an event he is not favored to steamroll his opponent entering how he will respond? Will this level of opponent bring out the best in Brook and all the talent that is apparent?

I don't dispute that we could see a different Brook from say some other fights of his we have seen in the past. It has certainly happened before in this sport on many occasions when a fighter with talent suddenly puts it altogether on one night and puts on a dazzling performance. The most vivid example of that was when Jame "Buster" Douglas (another Ohio fighter) defeated Mike Tyson over 20 years ago.

Honestly, I don't see it happening here though. I think Porter is very focused and will come out with that in your face pressure from the opening bell much like his last two fights against Alexander and Malignaggi. Those bad habits Brook has fallen into will hurt him when facing this relentless pressure and Porter will find it easy to land power shots against Brook when say he pulls straight back with his chin exposed. I think Porter's pressure will be the ultimate undoing of Brook here. We will find out in about a week.

Maybe I am rating Porter way too high, but I think he is gonna' punch holes in Brook. This is one of those fights I am anxiously awaiting.

-Randy G

Here's a rather fun and unusual video. Team Porter allows Team Brook to watch as he's sparring/training.

Cool video. In the beginning I was like the other boxer is doing everything Porter is supposed to. Then I got it. Who is the sparring parter? He looked to be 6 3" if not taller. Nice strategy .