English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Kovalev vs Caparello does over one million viewers

Kovalev vs Caparello does over one million viewers

Great sign for KK against an unknown opponent.
    Bhop and KK signing the day before the fight most likely intrigued the interest of some to see if KK will have what it takes to dethrone the living legend in November.

It is obvious that Kovalev has a great following( he has had over a million viewers prior) and with Bhop on the horizon I am expecting a lot of hype and buzz leading into that fight.

Will the fight do 2 million ? That would be an accomplishment for sure.

Anyone with any ideas on who can be thrown onto the undercard to support the overall feature?

Re: Kovalev vs Caparello does over one million viewers

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Great sign for KK against an unknown opponent.
    Bhop and KK signing the day before the fight most likely intrigued the interest of some to see if KK will have what it takes to dethrone the living legend in November.

It is obvious that Kovalev has a great following( he has had over a million viewers prior) and with Bhop on the horizon I am expecting a lot of hype and buzz leading into that fight.

Will the fight do 2 million ? That would be an accomplishment for sure.

Anyone with any ideas on who can be thrown onto the undercard to support the overall feature?
    It actually did a bit less than that, though it peaked at just over a million (Stevenson on Showtime peaked at 800,000). What's interesting to note, however, is that his numbers were comparable to a Mexican (Rios) who just fought on PPV.

I'm not sure Hopkins-Kovalev does 2 million. Hopkins-Pascal did do an amazing 1.8 million but that was heavily hyped after their first fight that ended in controversy.

Similarly, Hopkins' rematch as a result of the controversial first fight drew a remarkable 1.6m -- a huge number, especially considering how their first bout on PPV tanked. (It should be noted that the dynamics are quite different when it comes to PPV vs. tuning into regular premium cable boxing.)

All that said, they could approach those figures.

My prediction? I think it does around 1.5 million viewers.

But you're absolutely right, 2m would be a huge accomplishment.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    It actually did a bit less than that, though it peaked at just over a million (Stevenson on Showtime peaked at 800,000). What's interesting to note, however, is that his numbers were comparable to a Mexican (Rios) who just fought on PPV.

I'm not sure Hopkins-Kovalev does 2 million. Hopkins-Pascal did do an amazing 1.8 million but that was heavily hyped after their first fight that ended in controversy.

Similarly, Hopkins' rematch as a result of the controversial first fight drew a remarkable 1.6m -- a huge number, especially considering how their first bout on PPV tanked. (It should be noted that the dynamics are quite different when it comes to PPV vs. tuning into regular premium cable boxing.)

All that said, they could approach those figures.

My prediction? I think it does around 1.5 million viewers.

But you're absolutely right, 2m would be a huge accomplishment.
    Yes I realized it peaked at over that number, but it reached it and the fight only went two rounds. Fact is it obtained that many viewers at least at one point.

Any ideas on who can be added to the undercard?

Possibly Jacobs for a MW title if he prevails this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Yes I realized it peaked at over that number, but it reached it and the fight only went two rounds. Fact is it obtained that many viewers at least at one point.

Any ideas on who can be added to the undercard?

Possibly Jacobs for a MW title if he prevails this weekend?
    LOL excellent point, it was only two rounds so it probably would've stayed over 1m. You're right.

Jacobs could be a possibility.

LOL excellent point, it was only two rounds so it probably would've stayed over 1m. You're right.

Jacobs could be a possibility.
    I think we are going to see between a million and a half and two million eyeballs for Hopkins-Kovalev. Kovalev is gaining a reputation quickly and Hopkins is a name recognized by casual sports fans and not just fight fans.

I don't think we see Jacobs on the undercard. There is no way HBO allows a Haymon fighter on such a mega event.

For Marquez-Alvarado, HBO went with a low profile fight in Postol-Aydin. I think we see something similar here. Maybe something like Vyacheslav Glazkov-Steve Cunningham in what would be a solid fight in the heavyweight division and should be a good scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I think we are going to see between a million and a half and two million eyeballs for Hopkins-Kovalev. Kovalev is gaining a reputation quickly and Hopkins is a name recognized by casual sports fans and not just fight fans.

I don't think we see Jacobs on the undercard. There is no way HBO allows a Haymon fighter on such a mega event.

For Marquez-Alvarado, HBO went with a low profile fight in Postol-Aydin. I think we see something similar here. Maybe something like Vyacheslav Glazkov-Steve Cunningham in what would be a solid fight in the heavyweight division and should be a good scrap.
    That's what I thought at first but the card is promoted by Golden Boy so they are really in charge.

I don't think Glazkov and Cunningham makes the cut. That's two ME fighters. This is GB's card.

Glazkov should lose to Cunningham. Style clash. Last time he met a slick, black boxer he got his clock cleaned.

That's what I thought at first but the card is promoted by Golden Boy so they are really in charge.

I don't think Glazkov and Cunningham makes the cut. That's two ME fighters. This is GB's card.

Glazkov should lose to Cunningham. Style clash. Last time he met a slick, black boxer he got his clock cleaned.
    Cunnigham has a tendency to stand and slug more than Malik Scott. I think it'd at least by an entertaining fight.

I would not be surprised to see maybe Main Events/Golden Boy work together on a fight. Main Events has a good looking Lightweight prospect in Karl Dargan, maybe match him with one of Golden Boy's Lightweights not with Haymon (maybe someone like Jorge Linares who I don't think is affiliated with him).