English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    In addition, please don't compare Kovalev with Pavlik. No comparison .

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,315

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    In addition, please don't compare Kovalev with Pavlik. No comparison .
    What was said about Pavlik on this thread? I hope the fight gets to Barclays.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    What was said about Pavlik on this thread? I hope the fight gets to Barclays.
    Nothing yet but I want to keep it that way . This fight will sell out Barclays

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    I am hoping actually the fight is in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall. I will definitely be there if that occurs.

    We are going to be discussing this fight a lot in the next three months. But I will put my initial thoughts together now.

    When Hopkins beat Pavlik in 2008, I said then I'd never pick against Hopkins again. I havn't since that fight. But I am going to have to change my stance for the Kovalev fight. I may regret this but my gut says Kovalev will win.

    I personally marvel at what Hopkins has done in the ring. I was at the Hall of Fame this year and two guys who Hopkins fought at an advanced age (Trinidad and Calzaghe) were each getting inducted. And here is Hopkins still going at a high level at age 49 unifying Light Heavyweight belts. And instead of going for the easier fight in Stevenson, Hopkins takes on the considerably more dangerous Kovalev.

    All that said, Kovalev is a special fighter. I think a really special fighter. He is not Tavoris Cloud, Karo Murat or Beibut Shumenov. Those three all had very exposable flaws. Kovalev does not. He may have flaws (all fighters do) but none that are as exposable as those three had.

    Kovalev can punch. He may be pound for pound the hardest puncher in the sport. He knows how to set up those punches. He can cut off the ring. He uses a very well timed jab to set up his punches. His footwork is tremendous and he uses that footwork to set up angles to land his punches. In other words, he is more than a puncher and has excellent and underrated boxing skills. This is not Kelly Pavlik or Jean Pascal. Kovalev has advanced skills and will use those skills to beat Bhop.

    Like I said, we will discuss this plenty. This is now the fight I am most looking forward to in the 2nd half of the year. I can't wait for November.

  5. #15

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I am hoping actually the fight is in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall. I will definitely be there if that occurs.

    We are going to be discussing this fight a lot in the next three months. But I will put my initial thoughts together now.

    When Hopkins beat Pavlik in 2008, I said then I'd never pick against Hopkins again. I havn't since that fight. But I am going to have to change my stance for the Kovalev fight. I may regret this but my gut says Kovalev will win.

    I personally marvel at what Hopkins has done in the ring. I was at the Hall of Fame this year and two guys who Hopkins fought at an advanced age (Trinidad and Calzaghe) were each getting inducted. And here is Hopkins still going at a high level at age 49 unifying Light Heavyweight belts. And instead of going for the easier fight in Stevenson, Hopkins takes on the considerably more dangerous Kovalev.

    All that said, Kovalev is a special fighter. I think a really special fighter. He is not Tavoris Cloud, Karo Murat or Beibut Shumenov. Those three all had very exposable flaws. Kovalev does not. He may have flaws (all fighters do) but none that are as exposable as those three had.

    Kovalev can punch. He may be pound for pound the hardest puncher in the sport. He knows how to set up those punches. He can cut off the ring. He uses a very well timed jab to set up his punches. His footwork is tremendous and he uses that footwork to set up angles to land his punches. In other words, he is more than a puncher and has excellent and underrated boxing skills. This is not Kelly Pavlik or Jean Pascal. Kovalev has advanced skills and will use those skills to beat Bhop.

    Like I said, we will discuss this plenty. This is now the fight I am most looking forward to in the 2nd half of the year. I can't wait for November.

    I think everything you said above is the truth my man. I think this fight is just a really bad match up stylistically for the Krusher. What Hop does the best in many ways neutralizes what Kovalev does the best. We have yet to see Kovalev have to adjust his style which he will have to. We have yet to see Kovalev significantly countered which will happen. We have yet to see him to fight at someone else's pace and he will for sure have to do that.


    I do agree that Kovalev is special though. He hits significantly harder than Adonis and that is bringing some heat. I also think one under reported fact is that Kovalev has a pretty decent corner. If you listen to them during the fights and watch 2 days, you will see has has some decent dudes training him.

    In my opinion he runs through everyone between 168 and 200 with the exception of Ward and Hop. I think he is just in a little to deep this time though.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Cali, Tempe
    Posts
    333

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    I think Kovalev realizes that he needs to work the body and thats why he said hes not looking just for the knockout on Hopkins. That straight right hand to the body is a sneaky punch and it catches most fighters off guard. Hopkins will get as "skinny" as possible and use footwork, but Kovalev has to really emphasize a body attack IMO. Easier said than done against old master Bhop who has the wits to shut down Kovalev if they start fighting his fight. Bhop reminds me of the old Kung fu master from 'Kill Bill 2', no remorse for anything and in war you take down any soul thats in front of you "even if its Buddha himself"

    Big props to both guys for reportedly getting the fight and contract signed in such an aggressive time. I appreciate something like that because in my eyes that's how you can tell people want to get it done. Funny how sometimes when both guys want to fight(even though they "can't'') it gets made.
    Last edited by flackoguapo; 08-04-2014 at 08:59 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    I think Kovalev realizes that he needs to work the body and thats why he said hes not looking just for the knockout on Hopkins. That straight right hand to the body is a sneaky punch and it catches most fighters off guard. Hopkins will get as "skinny" as possible and use footwork, but Kovalev has to really emphasize a body attack IMO. Easier said than done against old master Bhop who has the wits to shut down Kovalev if they start fighting his fight. Bhop reminds me of the old Kung fu master from 'Kill Bill 2', no remorse for anything and in war you take down any soul thats in front of you "even if its Buddha himself"

    Big props to both guys for reportedly getting the fight and contract signed in such an aggressive time. I appreciate something like that because in my eyes that's how you can tell people want to get it done. Funny how sometimes when both guys want to fight(even though they "can't'') it gets made.
    Bhop is a master for sure, a professor who continues to dish out lessons in a painful way.

    Bhop is also a perfectionist in preparation of body and mind, he is always one step ahead of his foes mentally.

    a 49 year old champion who continues to push for the toughest and best fights, appreciate him while he is here because it wont last forever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •