English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

As most of us boxing fans probably did on this Saturday night, we watched "Krusher Kovalev", quickly dismantle another opponent in very impressive fashion. This win guaranteed a bout that many of us want, Hop vs Kovalev in November. I am anxiously awaiting this fight and I like to look at highlights of each fighter in any anticipated bout and this one is no different. As I watched, I realized that I don't think that Kovalev is going to beat Hop. I know this is a little strong right after Kovalev dismantled Caparello but I garnered some tidbits that make me believe so. Here's why:

1. It's going twelve. Kovalev has never been in the deep end of the pool known as the championship rounds. After being clinched, thumbed, pot shotted, & twisted for eight rounds, he will be experiencing for the first time a final third of a fight. It does not bode well for anyone whose first trip into that arena is against B-Hop.

2. Kovalev needs and likes space. One thing I noticed about Kovalev that he has mastered is firing quickly mostly from distance. It allows him to get out the full extent of his power and allows him to follow up quickly while stepping fully in to the next punch. This was displayed beautifully against Sillkah, especially on the second knockdown. Unfortunately, against Hop, chances are he is going to spend most of the fight in a phone booth. That not only diminishes some of his power but it also takes him out of his comfort zone.

3. Kovalev has fought some brave souls. Kovalev's recent opponents were brave enough to fight Sergey in a square position. Against Hop, he will be fighting a guy whose chin will be tucked slightly in his shoulder and will at least will have his body a quarter turn away from him. Sergey will have very little to hit in between all the clinches that Hop will initiate.

4. Kovalev has not tasted heat. Kovalev has been fortunate enough that really hasn't faced a fighter who can bring thunder. Kovalev, who is hittable especially when throwing a straight right because he keeps his off hand low, has never been countered with a real punch. Along with Hop's slickness, people tend to look past the fact that those late forties hands still have some gas in them. From what I have seen, Hop will have ample chance to throw an overhand right counter. We have yet to see Kovalev's chin even mildly tested and even if he has a beard, it will be interesting to see how he responds when he eats a real punch.

So what say all of you from our great boxing forum. Is the Doc a quack or am I on to something?

Advanced Users

Re: Why Kovalev Will Not Beat Hop

I'm riding shotgun with cha! Holla!

Excellent breakdown. I've said pretty much the same thing, though with less rigor.

RG perhaps said it best: he will jab, stab and grab this dude to death.

The remedy is as simple as it is sequential, mark The Shadow's words:

1) disrupt (rhythm), disturb (offensive flow), discombobulate (mentally).

2) Power jab.

3) 2-3.

it's that simple. K3 ain't gonna turn in to a wizard all of a sudden. He's a one-trick pony with heavy hands.

You see, Shadow sees beyond sexy -- and I see beyond a phat a$$ and a nice rack to get a true gauge on substance.

3K is a video vixen. Sure, he's a KNOCKOUT.

But B-Hop is Michelle Obama.

No contest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Excellent breakdown. I've said pretty much the same thing, though with less rigor.

RG perhaps said it best: he will jab, stab and grab this dude to death.

The remedy is as simple as it is sequential, mark The Shadow's words:

1) disrupt (rhythm), disturb (offensive flow), discombobulate (mentally).

2) Power jab.

3) 2-3.

it's that simple. K3 ain't gonna turn in to a wizard all of a sudden. He's a one-trick pony with heavy hands.

You see, Shadow sees beyond sexy -- and I see beyond a phat a$$ and a nice rack to get a true gauge on substance.

3K is a video vixen. Sure, he's a KNOCKOUT.

But B-Hop is Michelle Obama.

No contest.
    Great analogy. I also think you bring up an important aspect with the mental part. Hop is going to do something to get under his skin. He always has and this time will be no different.

I remember how badly he messed with Pascal. Pascal even later admitted that he fought angry instead of the fight he should have.

I do not agree that Kovalev is a one trick pony.

The man can do very many good things.

1. he changes up his speed on his shots.
    2. he changes up his power on his shots.
    3. his spacing is excellent-----this is where TGD says Hop will give him a hard time i agree
    4. he goes to the body well
    5. he mixes up and down and down and up. he is unpredictable
    6. he does not chase guys in a linear path, cutting off the ring well
    7. he sets up shots by deploying busy shots first to implement spacing.
    8. his timing is very, very good.
    9. he throws every punch and throws them well.
    10. his jab is not only a range finder but sets up other punches and controls spacing for Defense.
    11. he has a solid chin
    12. he has very good composure, when not getting guys out early he stays the course and just keeps grinding workman like, knowing its a matter of time till things open up.
    13. he wanted Bhop, meaning it is important to him to win big fights, not just fight for money, meaning he has that killer instinct say AD is not showing.

there are more but I will stop there for now

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    I do not agree that Kovalev is a one trick pony.

The man can do very many good things.

1. he changes up his speed on his shots.
    2. he changes up his power on his shots.
    3. his spacing is excellent-----this is where TGD says Hop will give him a hard time i agree
    4. he goes to the body well
    5. he mixes up and down and down and up. he is unpredictable
    6. he does not chase guys in a linear path, cutting off the ring well
    7. he sets up shots by deploying busy shots first to implement spacing.
    8. his timing is very, very good.
    9. he throws every punch and throws them well.
    10. his jab is not only a range finder but sets up other punches and controls spacing for Defense.
    11. he has a solid chin
    12. he has very good composure, when not getting guys out early he stays the course and just keeps grinding workman like, knowing its a matter of time till things open up.
    13. he wanted Bhop, meaning it is important to him to win big fights, not just fight for money, meaning he has that killer instinct say AD is not showing.

there are more but I will stop there for now
    Those are all very valid points but what I meant by one-trick pony is that he's one-dimensional. This is all part of one style, the one style Kovalev does have. (Most fighters have that so it's not a knock on Kovalev.)

To go to the other end of the spectrum, take a guy like Floyd, for instance.

He can stalk you, he can fight inside, he can fight outside, he can fight off the ropes, he can fight out of at least five guards better than anyone else (he can fight like Clottey and Winky but doesn't for obvious reasons), and he can fight outside rhythm.

Your observations are on point! However those traits are all part of his offensive paradigm. When I say one-trick pony I understand if it could be taken as him just having a right hand, for instance. That's not what I meant.

He's polished, absolutely, but just within that one dimension. Just like a guy like Mikkel Kessler. Or Carl Froch. Actually like most top guys.

But the ability to adapt on the fly is what separates the truly elite from the titlists. Lennox Lewis had it. Ward can stick and move with the best of them but he prefers to fight in close.

And guys like Ward or Floyd stay composed if someone one roughs them -- and then they beat them at their own game.

Can Kovalev stay composed when he's getting "veteran-tricked" to death while the ref says nothing? Can he avoid getting frustrated? And can he adapt and beat Hopkins at this game?

I'm not so sure.

Can he then adapt and start boxing equally as well off the back foot as he can when he cuts off the ring?

Can he avoid getting frustrated once he realizes this 50-year-old man has better reflexes than him (which he does), is faster than him (which he is), is scarily elusive, slippery like an eel and almost impossible to tag?

Hopkins never ever gets caught on the ropes with his hands up. Ever. And he damn sure doesn't let people tee off on him. In fact, when he stands on the ropes, it's a trap, an offensive strategy where he picks people apart.

This is not easy to deal with. The conversations Kovalev will himself at this point won't be pleasant.

I think it'll look a bit like Ward did to Froch and Kessler where the Euro fighter will find himself outclassed in the pro style-filth department and frustrated when he finds himself unable to stop it.

The frustration will just exacerbate even further once Killer Krusher Kovalev realizes his killing krushing power has been neutralized.

As we all know, Hopkins will take what you do best, a) take it away and/or b) use it against you.

Then what will he do? Will he have a Plan B?

That's what I was referring to when I said one-trick pony. And that one dimension is not enough to beat a master in Bernard Hopkins whether he's 25, 35 or 50.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Those are all very valid points but what I meant by one-trick pony is that he's one-dimensional. This is all part of one style, the one style Kovalev does have. (Most fighters have that so it's not a knock on Kovalev.)

To go to the other end of the spectrum, take a guy like Floyd, for instance.

He can stalk you, he can fight inside, he can fight outside, he can fight off the ropes, he can fight out of at least five guards better than anyone else (he can fight like Clottey and Winky but doesn't for obvious reasons), and he can fight outside rhythm.

Your observations are on point! However those traits are all part of his offensive paradigm. When I say one-trick pony I understand if it could be taken as him just having a right hand, for instance. That's not what I meant.

He's polished, absolutely, but just within that one dimension. Just like a guy like Mikkel Kessler. Or Carl Froch. Actually like most top guys.

But the ability to adapt on the fly is what separates the truly elite from the titlists. Lennox Lewis had it. Ward can stick and move with the best of them but he prefers to fight in close.

And guys like Ward or Floyd stay composed if someone one roughs them -- and then they beat them at their own game.

Can Kovalev stay composed when he's getting "veteran-tricked" to death while the ref says nothing? Can he avoid getting frustrated? And can he adapt and beat Hopkins at this game?

I'm not so sure.

Can he then adapt and start boxing equally as well off the back foot as he can when he cuts off the ring?

Can he avoid getting frustrated once he realizes this 50-year-old man has better reflexes than him (which he does), is faster than him (which he is), is scarily elusive, slippery like an eel and almost impossible to tag?

Hopkins never ever gets caught on the ropes with his hands up. Ever. And he damn sure doesn't let people tee off on him. In fact, when he stands on the ropes, it's a trap, an offensive strategy where he picks people apart.

This is not easy to deal with. The conversations Kovalev will himself at this point won't be pleasant.

I think it'll look a bit like Ward did to Froch and Kessler where the Euro fighter will find himself outclassed in the pro style-filth department and frustrated when he finds himself unable to stop it.

The frustration will just exacerbate even further once Killer Krusher Kovalev realizes his killing krushing power has been neutralized.

As we all know, Hopkins will take what you do best, a) take it away and/or b) use it against you.

Then what will he do? Will he have a Plan B?

That's what I was referring to when I said one-trick pony. And that one dimension is not enough to beat a master in Bernard Hopkins whether he's 25, 35 or 50.
    I understand that and agree for the most part. My point is that KK's boxing ability has been overlooked because he is just blasting guys out of there. Kinda like GGG, these two have yet to resort to sweet science boxing because they have yet to dig deep. They have not been tested yet.

Take the Sillah fight, Sillah was very quick and agile and KK timed him and got him out of there.

I do favor Bhop in this fight as he has the upper hand in overall skills, boxing iq, experience and stamina as KK has not been the distance.

I think this will be a very very good fight overall. I expect Bhop to space and slow things down and control the action and be offensive when he wants to. However I do see KK having some good moments and even if he is not landing flush he will be active enough to keep the fight exciting.

This is a very very good fight for boxing and I am hoping for a solid undercard.

Oh, KK did make a very important statement last night in his post fight interview, he said he will be coming to box and not look for the KO and that Hopkins will maybe teach him a thing or two.

This shows his mind is accepting that bhop will have moments and that he expects to stay composed during a tough fight.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    I understand that and agree for the most part. My point is that KK's boxing ability has been overlooked because he is just blasting guys out of there. Kinda like GGG, these two have yet to resort to sweet science boxing because they have yet to dig deep. They have not been tested yet.

Take the Sillah fight, Sillah was very quick and agile and KK timed him and got him out of there.

I do favor Bhop in this fight as he has the upper hand in overall skills, boxing iq, experience and stamina as KK has not been the distance.

I think this will be a very very good fight overall. I expect Bhop to space and slow things down and control the action and be offensive when he wants to. However I do see KK having some good moments and even if he is not landing flush he will be active enough to keep the fight exciting.

This is a very very good fight for boxing and I am hoping for a solid undercard.

Oh, KK did make a very important statement last night in his post fight interview, he said he will be coming to box and not look for the KO and that Hopkins will maybe teach him a thing or two.

This shows his mind is accepting that bhop will have moments and that he expects to stay composed during a tough fight.
    Yes, I noticed that, too. He doesn't appear to approach the task with youthful arrogance, much like many others have. That's a good sign for him.

But it's hard not to be seduced by your own power when you have been blasting guys out like he has.

I look forward to seeing what happens in and around the 9th round when Kovalev starts fatiguing while this old man is not only still standing but still going strong.

That's a monumental mind f*** if there ever was one.

Will he start swinging for the fences and thus play right into Hopkins' hands? Or will he stay composed and let it be a chess match?

Good Doc.... Very bold assessment

Two things ... When the time comes KK will be ready for 20 rounds and will be in better shape than Bhop.

Also KK ain't James Kirkland... He takes a good look before he comes in for the kill...
    Like a stalking lion...
    Honed by many years of experience

After blasting out that guy last night, Kovalev was quick to point out he is not looking to knockout Hopkins; he is looking to box him. That is a good sign for Kovalev. Will he use the bolo punch he used last night against Hopkins probably not. Will he use the jab? I think so. His trainer knows about Hopkins because he went 8 or 9 rounds against a younger Hopkins .
    Really bad chad beat Hopkins with the jab and punch volume. Pascal Drew with Hopkins because of his jab and punch volume. Taylor beat Hopkins behind his jab. I am sure Kovalev's trainer will have the plan, jab jab and hit him with anything else you can. Hopkins has some tricky footwork, some sneaky right hands and some head butt leading hooks. Can that beat Kovalev? Can Kovalev beat Hopkins ring generalship with more punches thrown and landed? I don't know. No one knows . This is a super fight . Any lines out with the bookies yet?