English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest Winners for July 16-31

Contest Winners for July 16-31

I wish there were a way to make this determination less subjective. Anyway, here goes.

The Sweet Science forum winners are:

First place: Brown Sugar. Comparisons between GGG and Kostya Tsyzu sparked a lively conversation. Brown Sugar's contribution to this long-running thread delved the deepest. Probing into their amateur backgrounds, Brown Sugar used Cuban boxers as the measuring rod to show why GGG will likely leave the larger legacy.

Second place: The Shadow. The early frontrunner continues to deliver the goods. The links he provided elevated the discussion of PEDs. His thoughts on Big Knockout Boxing made me think that I may have been too quick to condemn this contraption as grotesque.

Third place: The Commish. Considering his work history, he's sort of the pro in a pro-am tournament, but we can't hold that against him. As he demonstrated in several posts, he brings a wealth of knowledge to the question of how best to protect boxers from the inherent dangers of the sport.

The Boxing Channel:

It struck me that frequent posters that provide links to visuals ought to get an extra check on the checklist. With this in mind, the selections are:

(1) Radam -- He has his own argot (Pinoy ebonics?) and his views on nutrition are rather eccentric, but he spices up any debate with his deep knowledge of boxing and I marvel at his stamina.

(2) The Commish -- He gets around and is on top of the current scene.

(3) skibbz -- The cyclical sport of boxing is experiencing an up-cycle in the U.K. and Skibbz is on the scene to keep us appraised of the latest developments.

My goodness, I can't believe that I didn't shoehorn Oubobcat in here somewhere. If there were an award for starting the busiest thread, he would win hands down. Deepwater2 and The Good Doctor also deserve special recognition. And I'd like to hear more from Grimm.

Re: Contest Winners for July 16-31

Congrats to all the winners, very well deserved. Shadow posted something earlier on this and I think it was the absolute truth. These last two weeks brought the best commentary and some of the best posts I have seen since joining and contributing on this site. It couldn't have been easy at all to pick the winners.

There were many posts and write ups that were extremely insightful and some very interesting topics. There were also many posts on the great history on this sport that enlightened me in the past two weeks, mostly started by ArneK. I thoroughly enjoyed reading on the many historic topics covered in these past couple weeks.

Congrats to all! Well deserved and its a pleasure reading everyone's contributions, especially when it was such a competitive 2 weeks. Competition only makes everyone better and that's the way it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Congrats to all the winners, very well deserved. Shadow posted something earlier on this and I think it was the absolute truth. These last two weeks brought the best commentary and some of the best posts I have seen since joining and contributing on this site. It couldn't have been easy at all to pick the winners.

There were many posts and write ups that were extremely insightful and some very interesting topics. There were also many posts on the great history on this sport that enlightened me in the past two weeks, mostly started by ArneK. I thoroughly enjoyed reading on the many historic topics covered in these past couple weeks.
    I agree, my friend.

And it couldn't have been easy. I thought Stormcentre's mini-memoir was marvelous, the Good Doctor (one of my personal favorites) did his thing, Radam brings the heat on a level that makes us kinda take him for granted at times.

Yourself with your Marvin Hagler like consistency. This is one period where I would've been like, "you earned your three points." (And you did, Suge.)

Then we had Commish, of course. And though he's now a TSS contributor with his own column, props to Arne for keeping it fair regardless.

New guys joining as well...

And again I agree with Arne, I'd like to see more Grimm. He's intelligent, knowledgeable, sincere, insightful, he has this wide emotional spectrum qua his experiences, adds that international flavor and as a fighter/trainer (I believe?) he knows the game inside the ring and out.

Carmine Cas even returned for a bit, Roast picked it up. Flackoguapo even brought some heat; ever since he coined the term "Escuelita" he quickly became a favorite of mine.

Now we got Amayseng leading the helm.

(Wait, is this what El Dude called the a$$ kissing?! IDGAF, respect and props where it's due!)

And then the incomparable Brownsugar! Congratulations! His poetic expressions that range from sarcastic to outright harmonic always get a rise out of me one way or the other.

His breakdown of MMAidana's style is an all-time classic to me...

Like I said, it must not have been easy. But I gotta salute you, Arne, you've handled this task with amazing professionalism from the beginning up until the verdict.

Your take on Radam cracked me up LOL. "Pinoy Ebonics" to "eccentric" takes on "nutrition." (If I forgot to mention some, sorry, no harm intended.)

Anyway, hopefully the quality continues to sustain this type of level. I know there was stuff in here for promoters, managers, fighters and writers alike to use.

I don't think many other forums can boast the same thing.

Either way, props to Arne! Couldn't have been easy. And thank you for your words on my Big Time Boxing comment.

If we could just get Bernard Campbell and Al Bernstein as guest moderator, my life would be complete.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 08-02-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Bernie as moderator? THE Bernie Campbell? OMG! What in the world would those two weeks be like???!!!

Congrats to the winners and to everybody who put up some of the most informative, fun-to-read posts on the internet.

ArneK, I know how ya' feel. Picking a winner when, in fact, everybody on here is a winner, is the toughest, most thankless job of all.

Go fix yourself a drink, sit back and relax. You deserve it!

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

OMF! First! Congrats for a great run as mod, ArneK. And thanks for the shout out about Pinoy argot. Hehehe! We Pinoys pride ourselves on originality and uniqueness.

And to all the winners, and the coming ones, good job. You know that y'all got the "it factor," the mad knowledge, and the star power to ROCK and SHOCK da worrllldddd! SHAKE da MUTHAsucka UP! Holla!

Administrator

When Bernie gets the mod slot, all my posts will be on women's boxing.

I have what I believe will be a better solution for next year. Allow me to work through the kinks before I present it for polishing.

ArneK., you already know what I think of your work. It's both an honor and a pleasure featuring you in this space. I'll be putting a call into you in the next hour or so. Please be on the lookout.

The rest of you guys...I paraphrase D2 when I say, "I love you mugs."

Or something to that effect.

Congrats to everyone....not trying to display false humility but the readers I scored to win during Arneks reign were not named brownsugar.
    I feel like Canelo....lol.

Great brain twisting topics Arnek.... Your trivia topics were as punishing as RG's. I'm still here reading every day but will sit out a few weeks to recharge. ...I will post a couple of words here and there but mainly,... I'm gonna be like a fly on the wall watching Amayseng and the TSS duke it out for the prize..

Good luck everyone. Your the Best.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 08-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    When Bernie gets the mod slot, all my posts will be on women's boxing.

I have what I believe will be a better solution for next year. Allow me to work through the kinks before I present it for polishing.

ArneK., you already know what I think of your work. It's both an honor and a pleasure featuring you in this space. I'll be putting a call into you in the next hour or so. Please be on the lookout.

The rest of you guys...I paraphrase D2 when I say, "I love you mugs."

Or something to that effect.
    I do love you mugs whether I'm drinking single malt scotch from the highlands of Scotland or a ballast point sculpin IPA or water with lemon.

Congrats to everyone, Brownsugar is quickly becoming the HW Champ of the forums.

@D2, have you ever tried any whiskey from Islay? It's a lot smokier and peatier than highland whiskey, it's not bad!