English Español
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Talking Tennis With the Roast

Advanced Users

Re: Talking Tennis With the Roast

The Roast is still killing with this Thread. It has shot quietly pass 9,000 views/hits.

You Da MAN, tR! Holla!

I haven't had much court time in the last six weeks. Maybe played twice or three times as my new job consumes my life like a brush fire.
    The second Grand Slam of the year starts this weekend in Paris on the red clay. Seems wide open on both the Men's and Women's side. Nadal has been losing more than ever on his favorite surface and Serena dropped her first match of the year last week while playing on her least favorite surface. I don't like the clay myself to play on. People say it is easier on the joints and knees but I find it slippery and uncomfortable.
    I hope to play more in June. My group will start playing outside and the Roast will be there. Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

As you tennis fan already know, the French Open did not start this past weekend, it starts next Sunday. I pick Maria and Novak to win.
    Last edited by the Roast; 05-19-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Got to play outside tonight for the first time of the season. A bit of ring rust, not my best work but fun to be out hitting with my friends again. Only six made it out. I had the pleasure of playing singles with one of our best players, we'll call him Franklin. We had never played singles before he told me, and we went to work. The Roast got out to a 4-0 lead only to see it turn to 4-4 and then 5-5. Franklin got the best of the Roast winning 7-5. There was a set of doubles before and after and my legs are feeling it now. The Summer is just beginning and there will be a lot of yellow ball struck well in the next twelve weeks. Enjoy that summer folks because it goes fast.

The French Open is rolling forward. Most notable among the upsets was it girl Genie Bouchard. Bounced in the first round, with a losing record since making the Wimbledon final last year. She is free falling and admits to having lost her way. As we have seen in boxing it is easier to get to the top than stay at the top. Meanwhile my girl Sharapova has won he first two matches and is wearing a pleated skirt which might be the hottest thing I've ever seen. I will find a pic ASAP. Wozniacki also has lost in the second round sadly. Alright peeps I gotta get to sleep. More news to come as the French unfolds.

Still kicking myself in the a-s-s-for not beating Franklin last night. He is a great player. Obsessed with tennis, plays all the time, practices all the time. I don't see him over the winter. He plays somewhere else.
    Last night we have six players so two have to play singles while the rest play doubles.
    I am not as sharp as I need to be, haven't played as much as I like to of late.
    I play a set of doubles as Franklin crushes Ameka in singles. Time to rotate.
    I'll play singles next, who with? Franklin says he will stick with singles.
    Pure Chuck and Rob ask me if I'm sure I want to play the great Franklin.
    Of course I say. What's the worst that can happen? I've been beat before.
    I win the first game.
    Good, I think. There will be no shutout.
    I win the second game. No one thinks I have a chance so I will just go for my shots, I have nothing to lose.
    I win the third game. Everything is working. I'm serving well, returning well, he's on the ropes.
    I win the fourth game. Fuckit. I'm gonna beat this guy. I'm rolling.
    My serve starts to fail me. I'm missing too much.
    Franklin wins one game, then another.
    Great players adjust. He's adjusting.
    He wins a third game, then a fourth.
    Tied at 4 all.
    I win the ninth game, he wins the tenth. We are tied at 5-5.
    After two more hard fought games Franklin takes it 7-5.
    We shake hands, exchange pleasantries.
    We team up to win at doubles, the lights go off putting an end to the night.
    Players walk out. Pure Chuck and Rob linger behind.
    "Looks like you played Franklin pretty well, we saw a lot of great shots."
    I had him I say. 4-0. He was on the ropes, I had him.
    Still bothering me a day later.
    I'll play more in the coming weeks.
    The Roast will become sharp once again. Sharp as a razor.
    Next time....

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Still kicking myself in the a-s-s-for not beating Franklin last night. He is a great player. Obsessed with tennis, plays all the time, practices all the time. I don't see him over the winter. He plays somewhere else.
    Last night we have six players so two have to play singles while the rest play doubles.
    I am not as sharp as I need to be, haven't played as much as I like to of late.
    I play a set of doubles as Franklin crushes Ameka in singles. Time to rotate.
    I'll play singles next, who with? Franklin says he will stick with singles.
    Pure Chuck and Rob ask me if I'm sure I want to play the great Franklin.
    Of course I say. What's the worst that can happen? I've been beat before.
    I win the first game.
    Good, I think. There will be no shutout.
    I win the second game. No one thinks I have a chance so I will just go for my shots, I have nothing to lose.
    I win the third game. Everything is working. I'm serving well, returning well, he's on the ropes.
    I win the fourth game. Fuckit. I'm gonna beat this guy. I'm rolling.
    My serve starts to fail me. I'm missing too much.
    Franklin wins one game, then another.
    Great players adjust. He's adjusting.
    He wins a third game, then a fourth.
    Tied at 4 all.
    I win the ninth game, he wins the tenth. We are tied at 5-5.
    After two more hard fought games Franklin takes it 7-5.
    We shake hands, exchange pleasantries.
    We team up to win at doubles, the lights go off putting an end to the night.
    Players walk out. Pure Chuck and Rob linger behind.
    "Looks like you played Franklin pretty well, we saw a lot of great shots."
    I had him I say. 4-0. He was on the ropes, I had him.
    Still bothering me a day later.
    I'll play more in the coming weeks.
    The Roast will become sharp once again. Sharp as a razor.
    Next time....
    The Roast is very truculent and cocksure. Hehehe! Or are you just in da killa zone? Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    The Roast is very truculent and cocksure. Hehehe! Or are you just in da killa zone? Holla!
    Cocksure and truculent to a fault RG. A great night on the court tonight. A little late to get into it tonight but I will tell the tale soon.
    Maria was ousted at the French and gave all credit to the chick that beat her like the class act she is.
    Serena is in the final and will win I expect. My pick of Novak winning the men's side is looking good.

Time to hit the pit.....

Did anyone Catch the French Open Finals? My picks were both wrong with Maria beaten early by eventual runner up Lucie Safarova and Novak Djokovic losing in four sets to #8 seed Stan Wawrinka.
    After losing the first set Wawrinka was unstoppable even for the great Djokovic. Stan was the man hitting shot after shot after shot. His one handed backhand was a thing of beauty. In defeat the always classy Novak was given a long ovation that brought tears to his eyes. He was beaten by the better man that day but fought his heart out.

Serena Williams won her 20th Grand Slam singles title defeating surprise finalist Safarova. Safarova had upset Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic among others. Lucie made her first Grand Slam Final. She may never reach this level again but she should be proud of her effort. The first set and a half Serena was in the zone. One hour into the match she was up 6-3 4-1. She was serving bomb after bomb. I don't know what happened after that, maybe Serena choked a little(she said after that she did) or got caught up in the moment but Lucie came back to win the second set 7-6 and take a 2-0 lead in the third. At this point Serena snapped out of it and won 6 games in a row to take the Championship. All class from both players after the match. I was very proud of all four finalists.

As for the the Roast, I played last Thursday. Six players came out. After teaming with Ameka to win a set of doubles we went over to play a set of singles. Ameka is a great player, one of our best. I wrote about him last summer. Very tall, tremendous speed and range. He does wear down as the night goes on. I try to move him around as much as possible to take his legs. I had him down early, leading 4-1. He came back to tie it at 5 and then took the lead 6-5. I was serving to force a tiebreaker. This set was a war. Back and forth. The other guys playing doubles played two sets while we were still on our first. That 12th game was very long. I was getting cramps in my right calf. It was 85 that day/night. I drank water all day to avoid those cramps, not enough I guess. I won that 12th game only to lose the tiebreaker.
    Still more time to play so Ameka teams with Pure Chuck against the Roast and Rob.
    I was disappointed losing the singles for the second week in a row, both times the other player coming from behind.
    Shake it off and try to win the doubles. Ameka was dragging and I was cramping but it was another long battle. The Roast will serve for the win leading 5-4.
    I've tried to become a better player mentally. I think typing here about my play has helped. I know it has.
    I have also tried to play smarter. No more diving for balls on cement. I have to be able to get to work the next day. Bills to pay.
    Match point. Tired. Cramping. I dive for a forehand that goes over the net, I scramble to my feet, the ball has been returned back to me. I dive again. The ball goes over again, ball comes back to me, just out of reach. I dive again to the backhand. This time it doesn't go over, we lose the point. Three dives on the same point. There were some people playing on other courts and our other two guys that had finished their singles set. They were all cheering. Two points later I put away a volley to win the set gaining a bit of revenge against Ameka. High fives from all the guys and the other people playing near us.
    Woke up the next day with the usual soreness. Two days removed I think I have a situation with my right knee. We were supposed to play Sunday morning but it rained here so we couldn't. I wasn't sad about the rain out. No more diving.

Hey thanks for that Ronaldsi. I am not a blogger though. This is all pre production for a TV show that will air worldwide on the Tennis Channel. You see when I talk about real tennis results from around the globe we will show highlights from these events. When I talk about my own exploits from the courts these moments will be animated with the Roast being portrayed as a floating piece of meat wielding a racquet.
    It's genius I know. Dino is my agent regarding this concept but I must have full creative control

I was able to play last Thursday night with limited success and also this morning with maximum success. I don't feel like getting into the deets but let me say that tennis is always a work in progress.

Like trying to sharpen a blade on one of those stones.

The more often you swing you stick the better you get. This applies to more than just tennis.
    Keep in mind a genius is never appreciated in his or her own time.