English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking Tennis With the Roast

Re: Talking Tennis With the Roast

I did see Venus knocking off Serena on Saturday. It was good to see Venus have a good run to the final. She could not wipe the smile off her face after beating Serena. Agnieszka Radwanska was able to remove Venus smile in the final beating her rather easily. If Radwanska was a boxer she would be called a cutie. She is just hard to handle. She takes the pace off the ball, uses angles on an expert level and moves her opponent around the court like they are on a string. Agie is a frustrator and Venus was unable to deal with the frustration. Venus lost her first match in this weeks tourney. As I said earlier in this segment at her age it is hard to grind it out day after day and week after week. I'm sure she was a little down mentally and physically.

Good comparison to the sisters as teens to a young Floyd and RJJ. Venus and Serena hate to play each other. They seldom play their best tennis against each other. Family comes first you know.

I played tonight myself. Not my best night, not the worst either. I might get back over here later to talk about it.

Tonight I will address the grunting issue. Ameyseng mentioned it last week and I forgot to respond to it.
    The grunting turns off a lot of viewers who watch tennis on TV. I see comments on facebook all the time bashing my beloved Maria and Victoria Azarenka mostly. As a viewer it does not bother me. The ill fated ATG Monica Seles was the first grunted to cause a stir way back in the '90s. Why some players make noise when they hit the ball I don't know. As a player it doesn't bother me.
    I play with a lot of people, probably over 50, maybe close to 100. Some people play every week, some just once in a blue moon. Ages run from late 20's to mid 60's. Of all these people I only can think of one guy who grunts when he hits the ball. He is in his early 30's and is one of the hardest hitters I know. His grunting does not bother me, I find it rather amusing. We play outdoors next to railroad tracks with trains going by, major roads with trucks rolling and airports with planes overhead. We played on July 3rd and there were firework displays going off. None of this bothers me. I am focused like a laser.
    In the pro game they realize they are losing some fans because of the noise. The next generation will not grunt. There will be penalties for loudness and they have already started this at the junior levels.
    It is a wonderful game to keep people fit. You can play at a high level in your 50s, 60s and even 70s. I know a woman named Lyn Tietz who is a National Champion at the 70 year old level. She plays at my club and still competes around the world I **** you not.

Did anyone tune in to FNF on time tonight? What did you see? That's right it was tennis time from Cincinnati! ESPN pushed the FNF show start over to ESPN news channel(I don't even know where that is) for bonus coverage of my dream babe Maria Sharapova vs the #2 ranked player in the world Simona Halep. Simona is well known in the tennis world for having breast reduction surgery a few years ago. She said that her giant boobs were hurting her career a by causing her backaches . I liked her better with the giant boobs but I don't have to walk around with those big globes on my chest so what do I know. She has rocketed up the world rankings since the tragic surgery.
    If you watched the end portion of this match you saw what I already know. The game is 99% mental. Why you ask? Because a lot of players have great strokes and can crack the ball like nobody's business but can you do it when its all on the line? When the score is tied late in a big match? Some can and some can't. The best of the best are fearless no matter what the situation. Maria is not only the hottest she is also the strongest player mentally. She always goes balls out no matter what. Not as easy as it seems. As you may have surmised the Roast is also fearless. I always know when to play it safe and when to turn it loose.
    Goodbye for now folks, may your balls always be a on the line.

Advanced Users

No thank you. No way that my "balls always be on the line." Holla!

Tomorrow kicks off the final Grand Slam of the year. The US Open, often called the toughest tournament in tennis. It is my favorite having grown up playing on the hard courts that they use in Flushing NYC. The hard courts are the equalizer. The Fast grass courts of Wimbledon favor a certain style. The slow courts of Roland Garros of Paris favor the grind it out bunch.
    The hard courts are for every style of play. Just bring it. Seven wins in fourteen days. I hate the end of summer but I love the US Open. I'll be rooting for the best of all time Roger Federer and the hottest of all time Maria Sharapova.
    Roast out.

Advanced Users

You must really be enjoying that tennis action that is going on, the Roast. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    You must really be enjoying that tennis action that is going on, the Roast. Holla!
    True I have RG. The US Open is three days old and there have been some shockers. Yesterday 15 year old Californian Ci Ci Bellis upset the 12th ranked player in the world to become the youngest American to win a match in NYC in 30 years. I missed it of course because I was at work.
    Agnieska Radwanska of Poland was ousted today, Agie is #3 or #4 but not comfortable on the hard courts of the USA. I was sad to see Agie go she is one of my favorites.
    I was driving home from work late in the day when I checked my phone to see that Maria had dropped the first set 6-4 to the 95th ranked player in the world. "Uh oh." Not to worry. I got home to see my girl take the last two sets to survive and advance.
    After that we see Venus Williams continue to impress knocking out some chick from Switzerland who has an interesting back story in two sets.
    Before I forget last night the GOAT Roger Federer beat up on a no hoper while Micheal Jordan watched from the players box. The Fed is playing in his 60th consecutive Grand Slam. There are four major tournaments per year, Grand Slams. That's fifteen years in a row. By contrast Rafael Nadal is out with a wrist injury. He was the Champion last year. The year before that he sat out with a knee injury.
    Federer and Jordan are coming out with a combo basketball/tennis shoe.
    All this and it's only day three.

Advanced Users

@tR, Welcome to being the fifth TSS poster to start a "Thread" that gets over 1,000 views/hits in "Random Topics." Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-31-2014 at 02:51 AM.

1,000 views, how bout that? Not bad for a tennis thread on a boxing site in the random section. Thanks for reading whoever you are.
    The US Open rolls on with too many stories for me to write about but I will touch on some and some moments from my own play.
    300,000 fans have been to the Open in NYC up to today's action. The women's section is in disarray. Six out of the top eight ladies have been shown the door. The two favorites Serena and Maria are still alive. The 15 year old kid from Cali got KOed in the second round. Very big stage for a 15 year old. She handled the new found fame and pressure well in defeat.

I wrote earlier about handling emotion on the court and I have had some trouble with this two days back on my regular night out with my group of guys. Most of these guys I have known and played with for 5-7 years. There is a guy named Derek who has been with us for the whole time. Derek in a bout 63 years old and this summer he seems to have lost a step. Every time I get paired with Derek we lose. No matter how hard I try or how good I play we lose. It's kind of random how the pairings go. This Thursday I was the second guy to arrive to the courts. I begin warming up with the first guy who is a very good player. Derek arrives 3rd and AP writer Hugh shows up 4th. Derek strolls over to my side while Hugh goes over to play with Homer, the 1st guy to show. When playing doubles the better player takes the backhand side. I always play the backhand side. That is the pressure side. The game points are all decided on the backhand side. Derek prefers to play the back hand and I always let him. Mistake. We get pounded 6-1.It went so fast we need to rematch because the other players(5,6,7,8) are not finished. I suggest we switch sides to mix it up. He doesn't want to. The next set we lose 6-4 after being up 4-1. I am super pissed throughout, yelling, slamming my racquet and other surliness. Usually with two doubles courts after the first round the winners play the winners and the losers play the losers with the teams splitting up. But this evening everyone wanted to keep the same teams so Derek and I got to keep going. Again I suggested we switch sides. He only plays backhand. We lose again. Fortunately it started raining and we had to stop early.
    Going out to play tomorrow at 8am. Just four of us. Singles then doubles. No Derek. I will work on keeping my emotion in check. Never stop improving no matter what.
    Last edited by the Roast; 08-31-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Administrator

Maybe your emotional outbursts are rattling him.

On the rare occasion when I play basketball where I'm the best on the team, I play a completely different game as opposed to where I'm just a cog. You learn the most about yourself when you're either the best on the floor, field, court or at the complete other end of the spectrum. Of course, playing doubles in tennis gives you the opportunity to experience that just about every time out.