English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking Tennis With the Roast

Talking Tennis With the Roast

Recently Ameyseng mentioned the "Serena is on the Juice" topic that is whispered about in certain circles. I don't know if this is true or not. I prefer to live in a world where this is not true and Serena is one of if not the greatest female players of all time. The naysayers will point to Serena's muscular frame and sometimes overly intense and violent style of play. That incident with the lineswoman at the US Open a few years back raised a lot of eyebrows to say the least.
    I think Serena is just very passionate about what she does. I feel the same passion. Tennis like boxing is a very mental sport. You have to control your emotions through the highs and lows. Keep a level head. Sometimes easier said than done.
    More to come. For now I'm out. Watching Serena vs Ana Ivanovic on ESPN 2 right now. Guys if you like beautiful, athletic women this is the game for you. All races, all nationalities from every corner of the globe play tennis. More later. I didn't even mention Maria....

Re: Talking Tennis With the Roast

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Recently Ameyseng mentioned the "Serena is on the Juice" topic that is whispered about in certain circles. I don't know if this is true or not. I prefer to live in a world where this is not true and Serena is one of if not the greatest female players of all time. The naysayers will point to Serena's muscular frame and sometimes overly intense and violent style of play. That incident with the lineswoman at the US Open a few years back raised a lot of eyebrows to say the least.
    I think Serena is just very passionate about what she does. I feel the same passion. Tennis like boxing is a very mental sport. You have to control your emotions through the highs and lows. Keep a level head. Sometimes easier said than done.
    More to come. For now I'm out. Watching Serena vs Ana Ivanovic on ESPN 2 right now. Guys if you like beautiful, athletic women this is the game for you. All races, all nationalities from every corner of the globe play tennis. More later. I didn't even mention Maria....
    Roast here's a thing that would make think juice wouldn't work so well. (I think EPO could for a player like a Caroline Wozniacki, an endurance player that just wears you down.)

Steroids tend to make you relentless, anxious. What I saw from Serena was passion. Serena, like I've pointed out before with other athletes, is just blessed with those West African genes that turn you buff just from damn near one weight-session.

Here's why I don't think steroids won't work too well in tennis (though I don't know myself and I'm sure those sophisticated cheaters could make it work somehow; but this is just my layman opinion):

I played tennis for 10 years, from 6-16. As a result, my technique is pretty exquisite.

A serve modeled after Boris Becker, a backhand slice like Steffi Graf. My forehand resembles that of Andre Agassi while my regular backhand is a single backhand patterned after Pete Sampras. My volley game is a hybrid of Boom Boom Becker and Sampras.

YET!

Without consistent practice, I get my behind kicked by the most technically inferior of players.

Which brings me to the juice.

I'm extremely passionate. I hate to lose. I'm a winner and I will pass out, go into unconsciousness, whatever, before ever giving up.

You know how that is, Roastie.

So whenever I play some technically inferior scrub, I tend to overshoot on my plays. I hit it just a tad too long. Sure, it is because I'm rusty, yeah.

But more specifically, it's because -- due to the lack of acclimation -- I don't have a gauge on how far the ball will go depending on how hard I hit.

Then when I get annoyed, aggressive and/or too passionate in the heat of battle, it just gets waaaaaay worse. I'm hitting the balls, too long, too hard, all kinds of unforced errors.

I just think that if you start juicing in tennis, you become susceptible to that type of stuff.

That said, I have no idea. Petr Korda juiced. Others have too, I'm sure.

And they may juice to recover from the grueling pace of tournaments they play.

Who the heck knows? All that said, I don't think that was "roid rage" we saw from Serena. That was pure, unadulterated passion and will to win.

And Roast, please let me know how the game goes. Give a recap.

Here is the trailer for that documentary about the Williams sisters. A must watch for any sports fan. I wanted to get it on here before I get rolling out the door for the day.
    http://youtu.be/6lzg9tJwItI

I tend to agree with you Shadow. I don't think the PED's would help in tennis. Hitting the ball hard is one thing, controlling it is the hard part.
    I think Serena is in a constant battle with her emotions. It's like a storm inside of her head at times. I seems so simple to hit the ball wherever you want but there are times when even the best players in the world can't do it. This is what I tell myself after a rough night on the court. Federer misses an overhead or an easy volley sometimes so it's ok for me to miss too. It can be difficult in the moments on the court to manage the emotions from the success and the failures because they both happen a lot out there on the court. You have a few seconds to collect yourself before walking over to serve or return to start the next point.

Sounds like you have a pretty good game yourself Shad. You are rocking the slice, slice is overlooked by today's players. It sounds to me like you struggle with consistency. How often do you play? The more you play the easier it is to stay consistent with your strokes. I play twice a week for the most part. Three times if I'm lucky.
    I play with the same group of guys all the time. It is a big group and we are pretty much on the same level. Very competitive bunch. Ten guys come out each time so we play two doubles courts and one singles and rotate around after each set. This helps me to stay consistent. You just have to find other people to play with so you can stay out and hit.

Serena beat Ana last night 7-5 in the third. Excellent match. Semi finals are today. I'm gonna have to see if I can DVR them and mix it in with the Kovelev card tonight. Time is the tyrant!
    Last edited by the Roast; 08-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

I tend to agree with you Shadow. I don't think the PED's would help in tennis. Hitting the ball hard is one thing, controlling it is the hard part.
    I think Serena is in a constant battle with her emotions. It's like a storm inside of her head at times. I seems so simple to hit the ball wherever you want but there are times when even the best players in the world can't do it. This is what I tell myself after a rough night on the court. Federer misses an overhead or an easy volley sometimes so it's ok for me to miss too. It can be difficult in the moments on the court to manage the emotions from the success and the failures because they both happen a lot out there on the court. You have a few seconds to collect yourself before walking over to serve or return to start the next point.

Sounds like you have a pretty good game yourself Shad. You are rocking the slice, slice is overlooked by today's players. It sounds to me like you struggle with consistency. How often do you play? The more you play the easier it is to stay consistent with your strokes. I play twice a week for the most part. Three times if I'm lucky.
    I play with the same group of guys all the time. It is a big group and we are pretty much on the same level. Very competitive bunch. Ten guys come out each time so we play two doubles courts and one singles and rotate around after each set. This helps me to stay consistent. You just have to find other people to play with so you can stay out and hit.

Serena beat Ana last night 7-5 in the third. Excellent match. Semi finals are today. I'm gonna have to see if I can DVR them and mix it in with the Kovelev card tonight. Time is the tyrant!
    Excellent post. Man, I like when you shoot straight, tell more tales.

Your mental positive reinforcement is key. Because it's true! Top guys can miss one so it's fine for you or me to do. And a lot of times one play can stick with you and mess up an entire match.

This, too, even happens for top players!

I always admired those guys who can stand there in a Grand slam semifinal, final, whatever, it's 30-40, fourth set, you're down 4-5, it's match point for the other guy and you missed your first serve...

Then hit a second serve, come back and win the game, win the set and later the match. Or even just hitting that second serve!

It's nerve wracking. For someone who's never played, it may look easy, but it's incredibly difficult. I think you put it perfectly -- the emotions that you have to control and you only have a few seconds to do it.

I have messed up in that predicament -- not the grand slam part, just being down and then double-faulting -- so many times it's not even funny.

It's really a tough mental game.

And you're absolutely right, I do struggle with consistency. I may have oversold my game a bit. I was just from a technical standpoint. That will never go away. It's just the timing, kinda like a fighter who's been off for a while.

Like you say, the slice is nice. You can use it defensively but offensively as well. I try to do it like Steffi, slicing with my backhand 90% of the time.

But I can go years without even playing. I think the last time I went and hit some balls was a year ago. I haven't really played a match in years. I think the last time was a few years ago on vacation in Italy - ironically - where this older guy wanted to play.

He beat me. I got annoyed. Lol. But it happened just like I said. I could tell he wasn't much good so I went ballistic on every weak serve of his to hit a return winner, mainly because that's what I used to do when I was playing consistently.

Then I was super rusty with my serve. It was way off. And I always go for the ace on the first one hahaha. Then I would double fault, it was just messy all around. But he told me, "you're obviously better than me. You just need to settle down and get comfortable again."

I definitely would NOT be able to hang with you guys right now. You guys play regularly and I would get swept. However if I did play a couple of times as well, I might get back in the swing of things quickly.

I love the fact that you have the doubles, singles rotation going with a bunch of people. Super awesome.

Do you know where to find a group like that? Just go to a local tennis club and ask around?

How's Serena looking otherwise, do you think she's a threat for the US Open? And why do you think Venus declined as much as she did.

In the early 2000's she was superior to EVERYONE, including her sister who was superior to everyone else. I remember there was even talk of moving them into the men's tour. (Hahaha, that was ridiculous.)

Advanced Users

Wow! You killed two birdies with one stone without realizing it. Just as in tennis, "hitting the ball hard is one thing, controlling it is the hard part," DITTO!

In boksing, hitting a bytch is one thing, controlling him is the hard part. That is a darn MATCH from the same BATCH. Just as a cobra can strike deadly once, and needs time to regroup to do it twice or more, that is the same thing with bytches on roids and PEDs, especially those on dat EPO. Flexibility and multi shooting are against them in pugilism. Ninety-nine percent of them get KAYO themselves because of the stiffness that that syet gives them. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-03-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Excellent post. Man, I like when you shoot straight, tell more tales.

Your mental positive reinforcement is key. Because it's true! Top guys can miss one so it's fine for you or me to do. And a lot of times one play can stick with you and mess up an entire match.

This, too, even happens for top players!

I always admired those guys who can stand there in a Grand slam semifinal, final, whatever, it's 30-40, fourth set, you're down 4-5, it's match point for the other guy and you missed your first serve...

Then hit a second serve, come back and win the game, win the set and later the match. Or even just hitting that second serve!

It's nerve wracking. For someone who's never played, it may look easy, but it's incredibly difficult. I think you put it perfectly -- the emotions that you have to control and you only have a few seconds to do it.

I have messed up in that predicament -- not the grand slam part, just being down and then double-faulting -- so many times it's not even funny.

It's really a tough mental game.

And you're absolutely right, I do struggle with consistency. I may have oversold my game a bit. I was just from a technical standpoint. That will never go away. It's just the timing, kinda like a fighter who's been off for a while.

Like you say, the slice is nice. You can use it defensively but offensively as well. I try to do it like Steffi, slicing with my backhand 90% of the time.

But I can go years without even playing. I think the last time I went and hit some balls was a year ago. I haven't really played a match in years. I think the last time was a few years ago on vacation in Italy - ironically - where this older guy wanted to play.

He beat me. I got annoyed. Lol. But it happened just like I said. I could tell he wasn't much good so I went ballistic on every weak serve of his to hit a return winner, mainly because that's what I used to do when I was playing consistently.

Then I was super rusty with my serve. It was way off. And I always go for the ace on the first one hahaha. Then I would double fault, it was just messy all around. But he told me, "you're obviously better than me. You just need to settle down and get comfortable again."

I definitely would NOT be able to hang with you guys right now. You guys play regularly and I would get swept. However if I did play a couple of times as well, I might get back in the swing of things quickly.

I love the fact that you have the doubles, singles rotation going with a bunch of people. Super awesome.

Do you know where to find a group like that? Just go to a local tennis club and ask around?
    I would go to a local tennis club if you want to get started playing again. There you could join a doubles league and that would get you going. You could also join the USTA if you wanted to play singles. You could join a flex league there. They would hook you up with 5 guys to play with close to where you live. You would get 10 matches, 5 at your local court where you want to play and 5 where the other guys want to play. The players work out the time and place via email. I did that a few years ago before my group got rolling full steam. Now I know so many people we just do our own thing.
    I joined a club in 2006 and started playing again on the reg. I was rusty at first but after a while I got pretty sharp. We play indoors from September to April then it stops. Thats when I started asking some guys if they wanted to play outside and the group took off from there. It didn't happen overnight, we had one doubles court at first but as years rolled by we picked up more and more guys. Everyone is like minded and loves to play.

Have you seen that documentary about the Williams sisters? I think that is the one Brownsugar was talking about. I don't know of another one. You gotta watch it!

Serena is playing well right now. She won that semi final yesterday. Tied at 5 in the first set she got on a roll and won 8 games in a row winning 7-5 6-0 over German chick Petkovic. The final is today. Serena will pound another German Angie Kerber. This is my favorite time of year because it is hard court season. All the tournaments are on hard courts leading up to the US Open in mid September. If Serena have her mind right she should win it. Seven matches in two weeks against the best players in the world is not easy. Serena usually is vulnerable in the early rounds. When the lights get brighter vs the other big names she brings her best tennis.

Venus got that Sjogren's Syndrome. That has slowed her down for a few years but she has played better of late as she learns to cope and adapt to the situation. That and she's 34 now. Tough to grind it out day after day and week after week at that age.

At this time on my Talking Tennis segment I would like to make an announcement. I hereby officially end my time in Milan, Italy. The bit is over, it has run it's course. I return now to roots in the Chicago suburbs. The Roast returns full time to the midwest, turning my back on the Italian film making industry. Arrivederci Milan.