English Español
Advertisement
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

  1. #1

    Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    The big boys have been starving for a while in terms of relevance. The last true dominant fighters (The K Bros) are pretty much done and there does not appear to be anyone on the horizon who doesn't look like a truly great fighter. I think Wilder is ok, Jennings is average, Pulev, Povetkin, Fury, & Stiverne are all decent fighters but they hardly bring about comparisons to yesteryear.

    With the dissolving community boxing programs and gyms, the allure of football, basketball, and even hockey if you are that size, and the publicity of heavyweights gone, it got me wondering what would it take to bring back the glory of the Heavyweight division. Here is what I think:

    1. In terms of publicity, three bonafide skilled fighters. I think they would all need to be mid twenties to 30 and although this is a little uncomfortable to say, it would not hurt if one of them was Hispanic and one a White American.

    2. Some real trainers. Boxing is void of really good trainers right now and that is the case throughout all divisions. It takes an exceptional trainer to train a heavy because the mere size of the man can alter several techniques and strategies.

    3. A contender type reality show. Reality shows are here to stay people and people watch them. In addition, networks love them because they are cheap to finance and are cash cows in terms of revenue. The original Contender show only cost NBC 2 mil an episode which is nothing to them. In addition, this would push some guys into the spotlight as well as bring a renewed focus on the division.

    4. Stage a tournament with the present crop and do a nationality type of setup (i. e. USA vs. World). Nothing brings out people like routing for their country. The World Cup, Ryder Cup, and MLB capitalize on this often.

    I am not saying that what I stated above will instantly make the Heavyweight division that of the 60's, 70's and 80's but I do think it could bring some much needed life back.

    What you guys think? Is the division beyond repair?

  2. #2
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9,459

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Yes! It is beyond repair. Matter of fact, there was a U.S. mainland national television show for heavies three or four years ago. It was called something like: "America's Next Heavyweight Contender."

    Pops Joy May was even training one of the contenders. The show got poor rating on the first showing out, and faded to black. Holla!

  3. #3

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Yes! It is beyond repair. Matter of fact, there was a U.S. mainland national television show for heavies three or four years ago. It was called something like: "America's Next Heavyweight Contender."

    Pops Joy May was even training one of the contenders. The show got poor rating on the first showing out, and faded to black. Holla!
    You know, I vaguely remember that. I believe that was 08. That show was horribly put together and at the end of the channel box where nobody could find it.

    If there was a pursuit of a show, it would need to be on at least a decent sports channel, ESPN2 (Marry it with FNF), Versus, or Fox Sports. All of these stations are in need of good programming too, especially during the summer months where baseball is pretty much it. Maybe I am being a little utopian, but with sports TV's awful landscape right now, I think there is room for it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    There are many good fights that can be made in the heavyweight division. The problem is many promoters and managers don't want to put their heavyweights in with a test until they either have to or are fighting for a belt.. But lets look at some good potential fights...

    Wilder-Stiverne
    Jennings-Glazkov
    Glazkov-Cunningham
    Glazkov-Takam
    Andy Ruiz-Cunningham
    Fury-Price (a knock out is guaranteed)
    Fury-Povetkin
    Fury-Wilder

    I could go on and on...There are solid entertaining matchups to be made that could bring attention to the heavyweight division without the Klitschko's even involved.

    The heavyweight division has good fighters. A contender like reality show to with many of these fighters involved would certainly draw attention and good fights. It would also breathe life again into the heavyweight division. I say why not but doubt the promoters and managers of these fighters would go for it.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Most of us love reality shows, doc, but the fact is, the networks don't--not when it comes to boxing. In MMA, "The Ultimate Fighter" was a success because of the different sport MMA is from boxing. In boxing, it truly takes years of seasoning to bring a fighter to the point where he is ready to fight for a world title. In MMA, these guys are thrown into the deep end quickly. The best fight the best and so on. Rarely does anyone catch an easy fight.

    In boxing, a tournament/reality show may go on for years. Remember the "Super Six atournament?" In the long run it gave us Andre Ward, but look how long it took to get from start to finish.

    I don't believe the division is beyond repair, and I don't believe what the division needs, as you say, GoodDoctor, is for one to be Hispanic and the other to be a White American.

    The heavyweight division needs a change. It needs excitement. It needs a champion with talent, ability, and explosive heavyweight power. It needs a hard-hitting guy both in and out of the ring. Fans need a champion they can talk to, relate to.

    The Klitschko Brothers, while highly-educated and athletically-gifted, have never given themselves to the American boxing public. They've given themselves, quite understandably, to the European fans. Because of their size, strength and talent, they have dominated the division to the point of boredom.

    When a U.S. heavyweight fights for--and wins--at least a piece of the heavyweight title, interest in the division will come racing back.

    -Randy G.

  6. #6
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9,459

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Most of us love reality shows, doc, but the fact is, the networks don't--not when it comes to boxing. In MMA, "The Ultimate Fighter" was a success because of the different sport MMA is from boxing. In boxing, it truly takes years of seasoning to bring a fighter to the point where he is ready to fight for a world title. In MMA, these guys are thrown into the deep end quickly. The best fight the best and so on. Rarely does anyone catch an easy fight.

    In boxing, a tournament/reality show may go on for years. Remember the "Super Six atournament?" In the long run it gave us Andre Ward, but look how long it took to get from start to finish.

    I don't believe the division is beyond repair, and I don't believe what the division needs, as you say, GoodDoctor, is for one to be Hispanic and the other to be a White American.

    The heavyweight division needs a change. It needs excitement. It needs a champion with talent, ability, and explosive heavyweight power. It needs a hard-hitting guy both in and out of the ring. Fans need a champion they can talk to, relate to.

    The Klitschko Brothers, while highly-educated and athletically-gifted, have never given themselves to the American boxing public. They've given themselves, quite understandably, to the European fans. Because of their size, strength and talent, they have dominated the division to the point of boredom.

    When a U.S. heavyweight fights for--and wins--at least a piece of the heavyweight title, interest in the division will come racing back.

    -Randy G.
    On the U.S. mainland, probably 99 percent of people relate to their ethnicity. And likely half of them are hypocrites and on the down low for being phony about it. Come true with it. Boxing reveals truths. And boxing has always drawn ethnic (and/or regional origin) crowds to see and cheer for fighters with a common thread.

    If I can get one of Dennis Rodman's Pinoy brothers to holla at the sport, and dat heavyweight sucka become PacMan-like, he draws Asian butts and eyes -- especially Filipinos -- to those seats and screens. And because he is mix-mix, he will also draw Afrikan-AmerKanos.

    What The Good Doctor said is RIGHT! People ought to call a spade a spade and not hide in the shade. The biggest cards in boxing are hollering because of ethnicity (or something in common) FIRST and then skills to pay the bills.

    There is nothing that draws fans to sports like something that that they can relate to. And it is a hard fact people relate to commonalities of themselves. And that doesn't make them weird. It makes them bubbling with love and confidence of self. Holla!

  7. #7

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    On the U.S. mainland, probably 99 percent of people relate to their ethnicity. And likely half of them are hypocrites and on the down low for being phony about it. Come true with it. Boxing reveals truths. And boxing has always drawn ethnic (and/or regional origin) crowds to see and cheer for fighters with a common thread.

    If I can get one of Dennis Rodman's Pinoy brothers to holla at the sport, and dat heavyweight sucka become PacMan-like, he draws Asian butts and eyes -- especially Filipinos -- to those seats and screens. And because he is mix-mix, he will also draw Afrikan-AmerKanos.

    What The Good Doctor said is RIGHT! People ought to call a spade a spade and not hide in the shade. The biggest cards in boxing are hollering because of ethnicity (or something in common) FIRST and then skills to pay the bills.

    There is nothing that draws fans to sports like something that that they can relate to. And it is a hard fact people relate to commonalities of themselves. And that doesn't make them weird. It makes them bubbling with love and confidence of self. Holla!
    I had a guy tell me not to long ago that the only places that you can be overly outward about ethnicity anymore is boxing and porn.

  8. #8
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9,459

    Re: Bringing Back The Heavyweight Division

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    I had a guy tell me not to long ago that the only places that you can be overly outward about ethnicity anymore is boxing and porn.
    Wow! I'm glad I'm in boksing. I couldn't imagine being the Asian that straight-up kills the myth, lie and outdated-no-science-to-it stereotype of Asians having tiny Johnsons. Hehehe! I'm packing a '12. Haha!

    I know it! I'm going to straight to hell. Holla!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •