English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Does Wally Matthews Still Go to the Fights?

Does Wally Matthews Still Go to the Fights?

I was a fan of Matthews when he was the boxing writer for the New York Post. He did some TV work as a color commentator, similar to what Steve Farhood does, and I thought he was very good.

It's my understanding that he now works for ESPN as a New York Yankees beat writer. But I know that boxing was always his favorite sport and I wonder if he ever plays hookey when there's a big fight in town.

Matthews, Thomas Hauser, and Jack Newfield were at the forefront of ripping the New York Boxing Commission during the gubernatorial reign of George Pataki. I'm guessing The Commish said "amen" when he read those pieces.

By the way, Matthews was fired from the NY Post for publicly criticizing the paper over a blurb that ran in a gossip column. It implied that a prominent baseball player was gay. It goes without saying that the Post should have kept Matthews and fired the gossip columnist.

Re: Does Wally Matthews Still Go to the Fights?

I trained with Wally and boxed at the Long Island Fight for Charity at the Huntington Hilton in Long
    Island a few years back. That guy trained very hard and stepped in the ring. Much respect for Wally Matthews. Imagine all boxing personalities stepped in the ring. It would be cool.

Matthews and I bumped into each other a few months ago while shopping in Syosset. We talked for a few minutes about our careers and families then had to run to get to appointments. We both found it funny when, the next evening, my wife and I ran into Matthews and his wife, Leslie, and their kids, at a restaurant.

Wally and I were once very close friends, before my days as commissioner began. From the start, Wally told me, "Being Commissioner is a thankless job. Some people will love things you do, some will hate it. Over the seven years I held office, Wally helped make it thankless.

We battled bigtime through the last half of my term. After my term ended, Wally and I patched things up. If anything, his penchant for sensationalism--more than the truth--his gotten him in trouble.

Deep, let's do that coffee...lunch...dinner. I'd like to hear about your participation in the Long Island Fight for Charity. Did you work with Tony F.?

-Randy G.

I sure did. Eye of the tiger Tony. His daughter had a bigger chip on her shoulder then he did!

Commish my wife is new to Long Island NY and she says your wife is top 3 nicest people she has met since being here. Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Commish my wife is new to Long Island NY and she says your wife is top 3 nicest people she has met since being here. Thanks .
    My wife was so honored to hear that. In my book, she is the nicest person I have ever met. Plus, she loves boxing! When I was aboard the NYSAC, she was, in many ways, the "First Lady of Boxing" in NY. Everyone in the sport in NY knew Roni G. Even today, when we are at boxing matches, many of the judges, refs and inspectors walk over to speak with her. Even Melvina Lathan, the Chairperson of the Commission, always huddles with my wife at some point during the card.

So, when are we going out?

I love this TSS DAS (The Sweet Science Date Arranging Service)!

-Randy G.