English Español
Advertisement

Thread: This Boxer is Awesome and I Mean That Literally

This Boxer is Awesome and I Mean That Literally

You might want to remember the name Cam F. Awesome.

Awesome copped the gold medal on July 21 in the 201-plus lb. division at the Pan-American festival in Mexico City, the prelude to the Pan-American Games. His victory wasn't unexpected. Last year, sportswriter Kevin Iole identified Awesome as the frontrunner to represent the U.S. in the super-heavyweight division at the 2016 Olympics. Awesome may not care to wait that long. By 2016, he will be 28 years old.

If you're thinking that Awesome isn't his birth name, you are correct. When he won the 2009 National Golden Gloves tournament, defeating the less-experienced Bryant Jennings, he was known as Lenroy Thompson. Back then he fought out of Uniondale, Long Island. Nowadays, he lives and trains in a suburb of Kansas City.

Before he changed his name, he was known for blowing off pre-fight drug tests. His failure to appear caused him to be suspended from several tournaments, bumping up the alternate.

A vegan, Awesome reportedly has a great personality. The heavyweight division needs more than a good American boxer; it needs a good American boxer who gives good sound bites.

About that middle initial: Awesome says use your imagination.

Advanced Users

Re: This Boxer is Awesome and I Mean That Literally

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    You might want to remember the name Cam F. Awesome.

Awesome copped the gold medal on July 21 in the 201-plus lb. division at the Pan-American festival in Mexico City, the prelude to the Pan-American Games. His victory wasn't unexpected. Last year, sportswriter Kevin Iole identified Awesome as the frontrunner to represent the U.S. in the super-heavyweight division at the 2016 Olympics. Awesome may not care to wait that long. By 2016, he will be 28 years old.

If you're thinking that Awesome isn't his birth name, you are correct. When he won the 2009 National Golden Gloves tournament, defeating the less-experienced Bryant Jennings, he was known as Lenroy Thompson. Back then he fought out of Uniondale, Long Island. Nowadays, he lives and trains in a suburb of Kansas City.

Before he changed his name, he was known for blowing off pre-fight drug tests. His failure to appear caused him to be suspended from several tournaments, bumping up the alternate.

A vegan, Awesome reportedly has a great personality. The heavyweight division needs more than a good American boxer; it needs a good American boxer who gives good sound bites.

About that middle initial: Awesome says use your imagination.
    I see you have a good sense of humor Arnek.
    It will take a great deal of imagination to ever visualize this guy making an impact in professional boxing.
    I'd box him for free if I could locate a couple of knee braces.(and I won't look anything like Sergio)

From what I can see from RG's vid, I've seen better fights on the bootleg version of "Bum Fights" and "Streetfights 614, part 2".
    Thanks for the comic relief.

He may not be a great fighter, but he is without question...Awesome!

-Randy G.

I remember Cam F Awesome! He defeated I P Freely by UD and beat Hoo Flung Poo by SD in Japan back in the day.

Is Awesome a cousin of the noted opponent, Kenny Breathe?

-Randy G.