English Español
Advertisement

Thread: What Fuels The GGG Holdouts?

What Fuels The GGG Holdouts?

Although there is a lot of love for GGG, there are still quite a few holdouts. In my opinion I think he is good but I am not quite on the he is on his way to being an all-time great train yet. As for this site, I see a lot of love for him and I can understand why. However, I think I can see why some people, fairly or unfairly, have reservations and here is why:

1. He is hittable. Although the Gaele fight was short, he was able to land some shots. He hit GGG with a pretty good shot before taking a one hitter quitter from Gennady as well. In addition, Curtis Stevens landed a few good shots. You also have to consider that anyone that throws cinder blocks like he does has to leave himself slightly open to garner the power to throw like that.

2. Competition. Gaele is no slouch but he is hardly an A fighter. At best he is probably a B minus fighter who could be regarded as a gatekeeper. To GGG's credit, he is mowing through what is at best lukewarm competition

3. History. We have seen several fighters recently who mowed through mediocre competition but when the got in with a great fighter they met their match.

4. Exposure. Although all of us on this site is well aware of GGG, however there are still alot of people who have seen him fight maybe once or twice at the most. Most people will not tout anyone that they have only seen a couple of times.

I think GGG is on an upward path but I can see why people are a little apprehensive to give him the "next" label.

Re: What Fuels The GGG Holdouts?

Excellent points, Good Doc. I think numbers 2 and 3 on your list are the two biggest factors for the GGG holdouts at the moment.

Lets start with 3, history. There have been a lot of hyped power punchers in recent years that have flamed out quickly. Edison Miranda was ferocious power but could never put it all together. Kelly Pavlik was a big time puncher with skills but ran into his own demons. Andre Berto was going to be a superstar with his combination of speed and power. These are just some recent examples of fighters who became quickly heavily hyped but not live up anywhere close to the expectations.

I think Golovkin is different than the fighters above and others who flamed out. Time will tell, I guess.

As for competition, well Geale was by far the best fighter GGG has faced so far. But now critics are even calling Geale into question pointing out the losses to Barker and Mundine. After that is Macklin and Stevens and both of them have come up short in previous big fights.

Personally, I think Golovkin has faced solid competition when looking at it as a whole. But he does lack that signature win. In his defense, its not his fault as he has wanted to step up the competition for some time. But he is finding potential opponents are finding the risk of facing him is not worth the reward.

In my opinion, Golovkin is a bona fide star in the sport. I will be elevating him to #2 on my pound for pound rankings. That power is real and he is one of the of the most devastating pure punchers to come along in some time (along with Kovalev in my opinion). He is not a one trick pony though. He has real skills and athleticism. The jab is one of the best in the sport. He knows how to break opponents down to the body. I could go on and on. I think in 18-24 months he will be the pound for pound king of the sport and on his way to becoming a PPV star.

Those who have an eye for the game- who know what they're looking for- who see, and do not simply view, are the ones who understand GGG is something special.

Those who do not know what they are looking for, those who do not understand boxing, await big names to fall before his fists before they acclaim him. This is because they do not know what skill looks like, only what a star looks like, so they need to see stars defeated, rather than skills exhibited- because they don't know what skill looks like.

As I've always said, its not how many you beat, or who you beat, so much as how you beat them- though obviously the former are not marginalised to any degree.

Great men, in any field of competition, are not decided by their records, but by their performances and skills, whether that's boxers, chess players or generals- it's mastery of the field of play that matters.

Also, we've yet to see all of GGG. Until the competition tests him, we wont see the true measure of the man.

He's simply never been tested yet- when was the last time you saw him lose a round, let alone be troubled. Why take the trouble to avoid someone's punches if they don't bother you, if you can just walk straight through them, let a few bounce off you, and deliver a quick KO?

As for competition, blame that on the sport rather than the man- too many sanctioning bodies allow too many to become champion, without beating the best (i.e GGG)

Yup. I admit I don't have the "eye" for GGG. He is a p4p beast but I have not seen enough to call him an ATG. I am not saying he doesn't have what it takes. My novice eye needs to see two elite fighters in their prime to catch their true color. Once that happens you can get a better gauge at what their limit is. What GGG did to a very game and skilled fighter in Geale is scary. If he keeps having those type of dominating bouts against the guys we all want him to fight, then his story changes.

GGG has the potential to be an all time great but we won't know until he fights some other top guys. He is on the way though. He should get Quillen or Cotto at 160. Get Floyd or Canelo at 154. Froch ,Groves,Dirrell ,Chavez Jr ,Ward at 168.
    If he can knock out half of those guys he is on the way to ATG status and he won't have to wear a cheesy TBE hat to convince people.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    GGG has the potential to be an all time great but we won't know until he fights some other top guys. He is on the way though. He should get Quillen or Cotto at 160. Get Floyd or Canelo at 154. Froch ,Groves,Dirrell ,Chavez Jr ,Ward at 168.
    If he can knock out half of those guys he is on the way to ATG status and he won't have to wear a cheesy TBE hat to convince people.
    You bring up a lot of names in your post along with your good point. GGG is in a good position in terms of options to fight in probably three weight classes. His problem may end up being willing participants to fight him. Even though he has not fought anyone of tremendous merit, he has created some hesitancy from possible opponents due to the way he has absolutely destroyed everyone to this point.

GGG has all the tools but obviously lacks the resume. And I agree with the above as I have stated sometimes you just have to stop overanalyzing and trust what you see.
    And what I see in GGG is something special. The guy can fight, when is the last time he lost a round? When is the last time he was even burdened in a round? The lb4lb FMJ lost many rounds to Chino recently.

As far as an all time great that is yet to be seen, though like D2 said he is well on his way, whether he gets the opponents and completes the journey is another story.

This time next year GGG will be ranked #1 lb4lb