English Español
Advertisement

Thread: One of The Greatest Punch Eaters of All Times

Advanced Users

One of The Greatest Punch Eaters of All Times

George Chuvalo considers himself as one of the greatest punch eaters of all times. In his own words, he believes that this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxWFmUPZnA. Holla!

Re: One of The Greatest Punch Eaters of All Times

Interesting watch. Tex Cobb comes to mind for best punch eater. That fight with Holmes is legendary for the amount of flush punches Tex got hit with. Howard Cosell turned his back on boxing after that one. George was a little before my time.

Both are before my time but I have seen plenty of tape and read up quite a bit on both. By all accounts and from what I have viewed, Chuvalo had one of the best chins in the history of the sport (up there with Jake LaMotta). Cobb took a thrashing from Holmes and displayed one heck of a beard in that contest.

I was thinking about this during the time I have been watching boxing (starting later in the 80's) and who had the best chins I can remember. And two names put to the top of my head. One was Julio Cesar Chavez and the other believe it or not was Hector Camacho.

Chavez had a tremendous beard in his prime. I remember being in absolute total shock when Frankie Randall put him down in 1994. I never thought we'd see that happen. In his prime thought, Chavez seemingly walked through everything that landed on him and kept coming forward.

Camacho fought some of the biggest punchers in the sport during his time and was never knocked out 88 professional fights. And did not have a lot of knockdowns in 673 total rounds boxed. Yes in many of the bigger fights he was on his bicycle or held a lot. But still you are going to get hit and he absorbed his share of big punches from hard punchers without ever being knocked out. Names on his resume include Chavez, De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mancini, Edwin Rosario, Jose Luis Ramirez, an older Roberto Duran and many others. Like him or not, Camacho had one heck of a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Interesting watch. Tex Cobb comes to mind for best punch eater. That fight with Holmes is legendary for the amount of flush punches Tex got hit with. Howard Cosell turned his back on boxing after that one. George was a little before my time.
    I was ringside with Howard Cosell for that fight. In actuality, the Holmes-Cobb fight isn't what made Cosell walk away. His boss at ABC, Roone Arledge, is the man responsible for that. Arledge told Cosell he wanted to move him onto other projects and give the boxing to the team of Al Michaels and Alex Wallau. So, naturally, he ripped into a fight that was very easy to rip into.

Afterwards, Cosell said he was walking away from boxing. In reality, he was being taken off the boxing telecasts. Had he been asked by Arledge to go back to the announcing of boxing, he probably would have.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I was ringside with Howard Cosell for that fight. In actuality, the Holmes-Cobb fight isn't what made Cosell walk away. His boss at ABC, Roone Arledge, is the man responsible for that. Arledge told Cosell he wanted to move him onto other projects and give the boxing to the team of Al Michaels and Alex Wallau. So, naturally, he ripped into a fight that was very easy to rip into.

Afterwards, Cosell said he was walking away from boxing. In reality, he was being taken off the boxing telecasts. Had he been asked by Arledge to go back to the announcing of boxing, he probably would have.

-Randy G.
    At least Roone Arledge let Unc Howie save face. People thinking he walked away in disgust because of the Holmes's beating of Tex Cobb is a marvelous optical illusion. Like I've said umpteen times, OIs are everywhere. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-28-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

-Randy G.
    I did not know that . I was watching ESPN Classic last week and they were showing the Battle of the Network Stars hosted by Howard Cosell. I used to watch this show as a kid in the 70's so if you aren't at least 45 I doubt anyone has heard of it. That Cosell was quite the character. Very touchy feely with the young female celebs. He was all over a very young Heather Locklear. He had that horrible rug on his head too. What kind of a name is Roone anyway?

Very interesting stuff... The back story of how Cosell covered his exit. ....Cool..

I wondered why the mawkish Cosell was dumping so much grief on the public. I thought the amount of venting Cosell was doing was very disproportionate to the actual situation and took away from Holmes flawless performance.

You have to remember that Holmes fought often (even more than Klitschko) and it wasnt always easy bringing in a qualified sacrifice....I mean opponent every two or three months.... But the likable TeX Cobb was rewarded with a modest career in Hollywood. His best role being the antagonist in Raising Arizona opposite Nick Cage.

I think after Ali left.. Cosell had a difficult time adjusting to being a "regular guy".
    The Ali & Cosell Show brought him a lot of attention and opportunity to perform all kinds of schtick on live TV and plenty of air time on various talk shows at the time ....Ali and Cosell used to pop up everywhere it seemed.....cracking jokes on each other..and causing all kinds of comic mayhem.

For a while the public couldn't get enough of the pair.....yet they kept feeding it to us until we nearly choked on their routine.

When Ali left, Cosell seemed like a fifth wheel who was trying too hard to be the center of attention at times so Roones' decision didn't surprise me much....At least that was my impression at the time.
    †********* Speaking of face fighting ...... The greatest self proclaimed face fighter in the business was perennial contender, and chief Fry Cook at Wendy's.....the incomparable Librado Andrade.
    Andrade had a back story where the announcers would explain that librado had a damaged nerve in his elbow .... So catching punches on his gloves was a painful a endeavor........Librado said he was much more comfortable stopping punches with his face.

He went through many fights blocking punches with his mug and shock absorbing neck muscles.

If you haven't seen this tactic used before Google Andrade vs Stieglitz on YouTube....get a big bowl of popcorn while Andrade absorbs every punch in the book flush on his impervious mug while breaking Stieglitz down enroute to a TKO win in the process.

When Andrade "faced off" against Lucien Bute he nearly mugged the champ in his own hometown.
    But his super absorbant chin seemed to magically expire after that fight as he was destroyed by Bute in the rematch.

Aside from the Englishman who fought Ali and became the inspiration for the Rocky movies (Chuck Wepner)... Nobody did it better.

Good question, Roast.

As for boxers that were described as human punching bags, an early 20th century fighter named Joe Grim who fought out of Philadelphia stands at the head of the class. Grim's claim to fame was that no one could knock him out. A glutton for punishment, he absorbed terrific beatings from some of the top fighters of his day. (BoxRec researchers found that he did get stopped six times in 177 bouts.)

A middleweight who fought men from all weight classes, Grim was on the deck at least a thousand times. Bob Fitzsimmons, who had a punch like a mule, reportedly knocked him down 19 times in a six-round contest. Grim was still on his feet when the final bell sounded. It isn't surprising to learn that Grim spent time in a sanitarium when he quit boxing.

The late, great New York sportswriter Dick Young referenced Joe Grim in a piece about Randall "Tex" Cobb. Despite all the leather he ate, Cobb kept his faculties. In 2008, at the age of 57, he earned his degree in sports and recreation management from Temple University, graduating with honors. Go figure.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    Good question, Roast.

As for boxers that were described as human punching bags, an early 20th century fighter named Joe Grim who fought out of Philadelphia stands at the head of the class. Grim's claim to fame was that no one could knock him out. A glutton for punishment, he absorbed terrific beatings from some of the top fighters of his day. (BoxRec researchers found that he did get stopped six times in 177 bouts.)

A middleweight who fought men from all weight classes, Grim was on the deck at least a thousand times. Bob Fitzsimmons, who had a punch like a mule, reportedly knocked him down 19 times in a six-round contest. Grim was still on his feet when the final bell sounded. It isn't surprising to learn that Grim spent time in a sanitarium when he quit boxing.

The late, great New York sportswriter Dick Young referenced Joe Grim in a piece about Randall "Tex" Cobb. Despite all the leather he ate, Cobb kept his faculties. In 2008, at the age of 57, he earned his degree in sports and recreation management from Temple University, graduating with honors. Go figure.
    Way to go, Tex! I love it when pugs destroy stereo types about us being and/or ending up as punch-drunk dummies. Name another sport -- other than maybe golf -- that had a rocket scientist in it. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-30-2014 at 01:11 AM.