English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the All-Time Greats is in Action Tonight and Nobody Gives a Hoot

One of the All-Time Greats is in Action Tonight and Nobody Gives a Hoot

In case you missed it (and you probably did), Roy Jones Jr. is in action tonight, July 26, in a 12-round affair in Riga, Latvia. This is Jones' third straight fight in eastern Europe after fighting in Poland in 2012 and in Russia in 2013. He enters tonight's bout on a three-fight winning streak.

Jones was widely considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world after defeating fellow unbeaten James Toney in a super-middleweight showdown in Las Vegas in 1994. Jones was then 25 years old. Do the math.

Jones' opponent, Courtney Fry, is a 39-year old Englishman. His record fell to 18-5 in his last outing when he lost a 4-round decision to an opponent with a 13-22 record.

The bout is sanctioned for the German version of the World Boxing Union cruiserweight title. My goodness. How many versions are there?

Re: One of the All-Time Greats is in Action Tonight and Nobody Gives a Hoot

Sad RJJ is marching on, but we've read this script before. It'd be nice if the greats could do like Hagler, who in my opinion is exhibit A of how to retire. That said, had RJJ retired after Ruiz, he'd be in the conversation with Ali, SRR, and the limited, exclusive fraternity of that ilk. The KO losses to Tarver and the Road Warrior tarnished his all time P4P legacy. I'd love if RJJ stuck to the booth, where he's great, but to each his own, and you can't unscramble the eggs.

The heavyweight battle tonight I'm psyched for. GGG too. Nice card tonight.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    Sad RJJ is marching on, but we've read this script before. It'd be nice if the greats could do like Hagler, who in my opinion is exhibit A of how to retire. That said, had RJJ retired after Ruiz, he'd be in the conversation with Ali, SRR, and the limited, exclusive fraternity of that ilk. The KO losses to Tarver and the Road Warrior tarnished his all time P4P legacy. I'd love if RJJ stuck to the booth, where he's great, but to each his own, and you can't unscramble the eggs.

The heavyweight battle tonight I'm psyched for. GGG too. Nice card tonight.
    I beg to differ. The all time P4P legacy of RJJ is not tarnished anymore than the P4P legacies of the 40-something Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard were. How soon do we forget. Holla!

"Tarnished" only in where he would've been had he retired after Ruiz. His stock then was at its absolute zenith. But yes, scores of guys have held on too long, so RJJ is definitely not alone. But I'm down with RJJ, and he's a first ballot HOF'er all day long.

I remember when Roy Jones was at the absolute top of his game in the 90's and the pound for pound king. He talked on numerous occasions during that time about how he was not going to be one of those boxers that hung around too long. Many times as a matter of fact on the late 90's he talked seriously about retirement and often stated during those days he only saw himself fighting a few more years.

Like most, I wish he'd get out. Is he tarnishing his legacy? Not in my opinion as I will always remember that supremely fast skilled fighter from his prime days. But he is a shell of what he used to be and has taken his share of punches during this late stage of his career. Like most, I wish he'd retire sooner rather than later.

If he's getting paid, if he's enjoying his work and he looks forward to continue fighting. Let the man fight.

Hear hear or is it here here ?

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    If he's getting paid, if he's enjoying his work and he looks forward to continue fighting. Let the man fight.
    Ditto! Do it until you satisfied! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2WP5SDNIo. Holla!

Advanced Users

BTW, OMFG! Superman Roy got the win by stoppage. Courtney Fry's corner saved him from too much of an arse toasting by not letting him come out for the sixth round.

Superman Roy then started rappin' "Yall musta' fo'got! Holla at the original track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqDA4-JUJU. Holla!

RJJ is making a joke of himself. He has been for years. He doesn't belong in a ring other than to interview someone when he's working on HBO.

Enough is enough!

Even if he wins tonight!

-Randy G.