English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayhem: The Undercard

Mayhem: The Undercard

With less than two months left, we have yet to hear about any co-features for the September 13 rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana.

The promoters haven't offered much in terms of hints.

"I'm working on the undercard as we speak," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe said.

However, Michael Miller, the manager of James Kirkland and Alfredo Angulo just told ESPN that Miller has requested an undercard slot for Angulo.

With Austin Trout booked for a Friday Night Fights return, one possible fight for "El Perro" is Mayweather's fighter and former IBF junior middleweight Ishe Smith.

Following the cancellation of Smith's scheduled May 2 WBA title bout with Erislandy Lara, Smith has been looking for an opponent to get back in the championship mix at 154.

Of all the options out there, the selection of Angulo certainly checks the boxes: a noteworthy scalp, good name, while also presenting a complementary match-up stylistically for the risk-averse Smith.

More importantly, that would also fill the one Mayweather-undercard slot usually reserved for guys in his TMT stable while adding a popular Mexican fighter to the lineup.

Meanwhile, there have been rumblings of pound-for-pound talent, super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux making his return in September.

"We're looking to bring him back in September," his manager Gary said, adding that they're looking for a co-promoter as well.

Earlier today, popular Mexican volume puncher Leo Santa Cruz announced he would defy conventional wisdom by taking on the notoriously avoided Rigondeaux.

"We are ready to take on [Rigondeaux] any time, any place," he tweeted.

If Hyde & Co. can secure a deal with the power brokers, all the ingredients are there for an explosive undercard.

With all the realistic options out there at the time, and all business issues considered, here's my tentative guess/hope for the Mayhem card:

Main event: F. Mayweather vs. MMAidana

Co-feature: Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Leo Santa Cruz

Ishe Smith vs. Alfredo Angulo

J'Leon Love vs. TBA

OR

a main event-worthy co-feature TBA.

What do you guys think?

Re: Mayhem: The Undercard

Guillermo Rigondeaux-Leo Santa Cruz is one of the most compelling fights in the sport today. The counter punching and defensive skill of Rigondeaux against the non stop punching machine in Santa Cruz. That is big time main event in itself. If it somehow is the co-feature to the Mayweather-Maidana card, I am really stoked.

I am going to try to not get my hopes up too much right now. But the PPV last September had a big time as a co feature between Garcia and Matthysse. A Rigo-Santa Cruz bout would in my opinion be even better and more anticipated than that fight.

I like Ishe Smith-Alfredo Angulo. Its a good competitive must win fight for both. Styles make fights and this will be entertaining as well. Both are older and neither were really known for the movement in the ring so this fight will probably be fought in the so called phone booth.

J'Leon Love has made a some good fights to open Mayweather PPV telecasts. The Periban fight was an all out war at times and should get at least an honorable mention if fight of the year lists at the end of the year. So I won't mind seeing him fight especially if against another decent fighter. I also heard rumblings that Mickey Bey-Miguel Vazquez was in the works. I would not be surprised to see that land on the card as the opening PPV fight. For PPV openers, either fight would suffice in my eyes.

I respect the realistic views but I want better fights! It sucks having to see the same guys on Mayweather cards (on PPV!)that wouldn't be there if they weren't TMT. When I go to a dealership and I want a 30K beamer for 22K, I don't put my 22k up and say lets make a deal. I will always ask for better fights because bullshieyt gets fed regardless and if people are fine with it then they will get even more 'bullshittty'. Same goes for the rest of the promoters who usually seem NTGAF about anything but the main event. Next May I hope its Canelo vs Cotto, Thurman vs Porter/Brook, Mares vs Santa Cruz/GRigo, Broner/Herrera/Garcia vs Mattyse/Peterson. Or something a similar and ill give in with the cash and happily be part of the masses.

or sub in Mayweather vs Pacquaio/Thurman/Porter/GGG @152ish! as the main event. I doubt Canelo will do a Floyd undercard again. Big fights are a major piece of the puzzle that make boxing so iconic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    I respect the realistic views but I want better fights! It sucks having to see the same guys on Mayweather cards (on PPV!)that wouldn't be there if they weren't TMT. When I go to a dealership and I want a 30K beamer for 22K, I don't put my 22k up and say lets make a deal. I will always ask for better fights because bullshieyt gets fed regardless and if people are fine with it then they will get even more 'bullshittty'. Same goes for the rest of the promoters who usually seem NTGAF about anything but the main event. Next May I hope its Canelo vs Cotto, Thurman vs Porter/Brook, Mares vs Santa Cruz/GRigo, Broner/Herrera/Garcia vs Mattyse/Peterson. Or something a similar and ill give in with the cash and happily be part of the masses.
    I agree that PPV undercards need to be a lot better. Fans are being asked to plunk over their hard earned money and should at least get some solid matchups between good fighters. This has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile. I also think that since fans are paying for the card that the entire card from start to finish should be shown. A lot of die hards like myself buy these PPV cards and would love it if every fight were to be shown.

Yup. Can't give these dudes any room to make uber-soft fights consistently on TV.

Totally agree with Flacks and Ocat. Mayweather cards have been notoriously boring in the past year, and he makes people fork out to watch them.

With a rematch being the main event, and one where I'm not too sold on as of yet, the undercard has to be better than J'leon Love and Ishe Smith. I like watching 3-4 hours of boxing, but those guys put you to sleep. In the UK last Saturday, the undercard of the Fury Chisora bill featured 4 stoppages, all in exciting fashion, with all the bouts being competitive affairs with the exception of one.

When you're making your fans dig deep twice a year, you've got to give them something worthwhile in return.. Otherwise you're ripping them off and it's bad business. Already the PPV numbers are going downhill and people are being more reserved in their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Totally agree with Flacks and Ocat. Mayweather cards have been notoriously boring in the past year, and he makes people fork out to watch them.

With a rematch being the main event, and one where I'm not too sold on as of yet, the undercard has to be better than J'leon Love and Ishe Smith. I like watching 3-4 hours of boxing, but those guys put you to sleep. In the UK last Saturday, the undercard of the Fury Chisora bill featured 4 stoppages, all in exciting fashion, with all the bouts being competitive affairs with the exception of one.

When you're making your fans dig deep twice a year, you've got to give them something worthwhile in return.. Otherwise you're ripping them off and it's bad business. Already the PPV numbers are going downhill and people are being more reserved in their choices.
    Come on, dude. They've been putting on the most expensive undercards in history. Now, if the fights don't pan out, OK, that's one thing but that is definitely not something you can criticize them for.

That September undercard was ridiculous, bananas. Garcia-Matthyse?? That was a super anticipated fight.

Ishe Smith-Carlos Molina, yeah, it's boring stylistically (I couldn't stand watching it, I made a sandwich when it came on and looked for odds online), but from a competitive standpoint, as a championship fight, it was a damn good fight for the second bout of the evening.

All in all, it was a stacked card.

I understand if you're unhappy with the Cotto and Pacquiao undercards. They've been awful. Buy Mayweather has been putting up money to have some big names on his bills.

It's Top Rank that has the belief that undercards don't push sales. And they may be right.

All that said, I totally get why you don't want to see Love and Sugar. I don't really want to see them either. Personally, I'm happy that he's started to just showcase one of them instead while leaving two other slots open for other guys.

I used to really hate how we would be forced to watch Jessie Vargas. Yuck. LOL.

But at the same time, I do understand. Millions of people watch his events so it's a showcase for his guys as well. So that's just something we have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Come on, dude. They've been putting on the most expensive undercards in history. Now, if the fights don't pan out, OK, that's one thing but that is definitely not something you can criticize them for.

That September undercard was ridiculous, bananas. Garcia-Matthyse?? That was a super anticipated fight.

Ishe Smith-Carlos Molina, yeah, it's boring stylistically (I couldn't stand watching it, I made a sandwich when it came on and looked for odds online), but from a competitive standpoint, as a championship fight, it was a damn good fight for the second bout of the evening.

All in all, it was a stacked card.

I understand if you're unhappy with the Cotto and Pacquiao undercards. They've been awful. Buy Mayweather has been putting up money to have some big names on his bills.

It's Top Rank that has the belief that undercards don't push sales. And they may be right.

All that said, I totally get why you don't want to see Love and Sugar. I don't really want to see them either. Personally, I'm happy that he's started to just showcase one of them instead while leaving two other slots open for other guys.

I used to really hate how we would be forced to watch Jessie Vargas. Yuck. LOL.

But at the same time, I do understand. Millions of people watch his events so it's a showcase for his guys as well. So that's just something we have to deal with.
    The Mayweather-Canelo card was an example of what fans should be getting more of out of PPV cards. I had zero complaints myself over that card but have had complaints about other Mayweather cards in the past. They did step it up last year and did a decent job this past May as well.

I have been a very vocal critic of the Top Rank undercards. I may be in the minority but I strongly feel their undercards, particularly for Bradley-Marquez and Pacquiao-Rios, hurt their PPV sales. I know they disagree with me on this philosophy but I believe it to be true.

Fans are being asked to spend good money on PPV shows. And their entertainment dollars are being stretched now more than ever before. There is a lot of competition for those dollars and fans are looking more than ever for more value for their money.

When a PPV show is not producing value, it will hurt the numbers. Lets take another example...Cotto-Martinez. First, though Top Rank's name was on the show the PPV undercard was not put together by them. So I am not blaming Top Rank for this one, let me be clear.

That day, the Belmont was going on as well a Stanley Cup Playoff Hockey game. And baseball season was in full swing here in the US. There was plenty going on sports wise that night along with the fight. Put that together with lots of PPV's already in the sport and a lousy undercard, and well the numbers come in on the "light" side. There was no added value to buying this card and a lot of fans skipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    The Mayweather-Canelo card was an example of what fans should be getting more of out of PPV cards. I had zero complaints myself over that card but have had complaints about other Mayweather cards in the past. They did step it up last year and did a decent job this past May as well.

I have been a very vocal critic of the Top Rank undercards. I may be in the minority but I strongly feel their undercards, particularly for Bradley-Marquez and Pacquiao-Rios, hurt their PPV sales. I know they disagree with me on this philosophy but I believe it to be true.

Fans are being asked to spend good money on PPV shows. And their entertainment dollars are being stretched now more than ever before. There is a lot of competition for those dollars and fans are looking more than ever for more value for their money.

When a PPV show is not producing value, it will hurt the numbers. Lets take another example...Cotto-Martinez. First, though Top Rank's name was on the show the PPV undercard was not put together by them. So I am not blaming Top Rank for this one, let me be clear.

That day, the Belmont was going on as well a Stanley Cup Playoff Hockey game. And baseball season was in full swing here in the US. There was plenty going on sports wise that night along with the fight. Put that together with lots of PPV's already in the sport and a lousy undercard, and well the numbers come in on the "light" side. There was no added value to buying this card and a lot of fans skipped out.

I am smart enough to realize that the world does not wear my glasses but from my experience I must admit I do think that Top Rank may be right on their thinking that the undercards are not that important. From my personal experience, I have noticed that you rarely see crowd shots until the middle of the co-feature at the earliest. That is simply because no one is there. I have also noticed that I have been to at least a hundred fight parties and everyone is eating, drinking, and talking until the main event. When the main event starts, there is almost a hush over the room because everyone is paying attention.

Now I do also believe that a loaded undercard can help bolster sales as well. When Garcia fought "The Machine" on the Floyd-Canelo undercard, it helped push some people who knew about boxing to buy the PPV. I was one of them and I knew quite a few others who may not have bought the PPV without a good co-feature. Now is that a small amount of people that feel that way...............Quite possibly but every single buy makes a difference in somebody's wallet.
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 07-30-2014 at 11:26 AM.