English Español
Advertisement
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 102

Thread: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

  1. #81

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Hmmm interesting reads.

    My take.

    Dirrell; I think he fought a reasonably good fight against Froch and deserved to get a decision. He is a very competent boxer, particularly when he is bedazzling and controlling his opponent.

    However, all the moving. complex and intricate parts of his arsenary though sometimes makes for an unnecessarily complicated bout; as he tries to do too much and with it all efficiency and effectiveness can go out the window.

    3G; I think should catch and hurt him sometime - particularly if Abraham can and did. I think Dirrell would start to freeze and look for ways out if he was in against Gennady, felt the power and noticed Golovkin couldn't care if Dirrell landed.

    Personally, I don't think Gennady Golovkin has improved that much. In fact I think, if the comparison was to his amateur days I would say that he was more skilled there, but in the pros he's had a real chance to (further) develop and (practically) use his power.

    He's clearly not a light middleweight (regardless of what he weighs in as) - you could see that against Geale.

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,314

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    Personally, I don't think Gennady Golovkin has improved that much. In fact I think, if the comparison was to his amateur days I would say that he was more skilled there, but in the pros he's had a real chance to (further) develop and (practically) use his power.

    He's clearly not a light middleweight (regardless of what he weighs in as) - you could see that against Geale.
    Thanks for your input, Storm! Can you elaborate on this, please?

    Interesting if you're into satire, maybe. Ha!

  3. #83

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Thanks for your input, Storm! Can you elaborate on this, please?

    Interesting if you're into satire, maybe. Ha!
    Which bit?

    The part about 3G not improving since his amateur days, or how he's clearly not a light middleweight?

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,314

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcentre View Post
    Which bit?

    The part about 3G not improving since his amateur days, or how he's clearly not a light middleweight?
    First part, please. Yeah he's clearly not a junior middle, but I'd like to hear your tale on both actually.

    You know I love your gems and teachings.

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    The burden of proof isn't on me, buddy. You still haven't shown sh*t.

    You said he's twice as good. I'd like to see that because I don't believe that to be the case. Then I'd like to see how Dirrell has stagnated.

    And of course he fights the same way, that's his style.

    As I mentioned, to me, the obvious improvement, at to the very least, is that he's able to go 12 rounds. As we saw with Lomachenko, fighting in the amateurs and in the pros are two different things.

    He improved from the Salido fight by adapting to the longer fights. I consider that an improvement, which effectively ices your argument that he's stagnated.

    And you don't think he has world level skills? That's just bogus.

    He beat Carl Froch on one card in Nottingham. And while this obviously holds less weight, he used to beat up Chad Dawson in sparring when Dawson was undefeated.

    But again, the burden of proof isn't on me. I never made the claim he's made the same improvements that you believe GGG has made.

    All I said prior to Saturday is that I think he can beat GGG (not that he will for certain) and I told you why.

    And of course he still can -- anything can happen in that ring -- and even after this performance, I still think Dirrell presents stylistic problems for him, based on the man' own testimonies and the fact that he's beaten him before.

    Would he be the favorite? Probably not. Do I think he troubles him? Yes. Do I think GGG may stop him? Yes. We don't know till they're in the ring.

    And when you say holla at you with some facts, I'd like for you to heed your own advice and stop deflecting and outright lying.

    And thanks for clearing up the "master" part.

    And likewise. Always a pleasure.

    Attachment 116
    I will say I thought Dirrell beat Froch in the UK. I had the fight very close but thought Dirrell edged it out.

    That fight against Froch looks all the more impressive given what Froch has accomplished since. Dirrell's speed caused Froch problems all night. If Dirrell is anywhere close to where he was for that Froch fight, I could see him giving a lot of fighters trouble.

    The thing with Dirrell to me is the inactivity. He has fought just twice since his March 2010 win against Abraham and those fights were against very low level opponents. Where is Dirrell at today as far as his skills go? What does he have left? He may have a lot left or he may have lost something. I don't know and neither does anyone until we start seeing him fight again.

    Dirrell is going to be back in action on Friday night against Vladine Biosse. Biosse is a trialhorse but better than any of the two fighters that Dirrell has faced since the Abraham fight. In his last two fights, Biosse was dominated and lost pretty much every minute of every round to J'Leon Love and Callum Smith. Love got the stoppage in the 10th and Biosse took Smith the distance just a few weeks ago.

    If Dirrell blows Biosse away early, well that may signify that Dirrell could cause some serious threat. But more telling, if Dirrell has any struggles against Biosse, that would signify that he has lost something during this layoff.

    Dirrell is s total mystery to me at 168. Its hard to pass judgment right now on how he'd fare against the better fighters until we start seeing him in action again on a consistent basis.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    It's hard to argue that GGG hasn't improved because he invariably has. It's hard to argue that he's improved by leaps and bounds because we've yet to see it. The fact is that he is quality, and fortunately for us the spectators he is likely to reign in the middleweight division as undisputed king for many years.

    Also who is saying GGG is a 154er? He is a 160 fighter not 154. I don't know if he could make it but fights with 154ers can always be made.

  7. #87
    Advanced Users brownsugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Home of the Buckeyes
    Posts
    4,545

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    GGG has done nothing except improve...his approach and methodology to boxing is far beyond anything we've seen in the ring. I haven't had time to elaborate much because of the lack of free time..

    The man just buried his dad yet is able to starch a major player in the middleweight ranks like he was a late replacement.

    Geale was a highly rated contender whom some readers on this site bestowed their blessings upon ..
    ... predicting a possible upset or proclaiming how the resilient , mobile, durable and well seasoned Geale would take GGG into deep waters and expose him.

    Geale got dropped like a cornered rat trying to desperately claw his way out of a tight spot.

    Geale had just been caught with a body shot and landed a flush power punch.

    Only to have GGG readjust the trajectory of his own right hand - on the fly - to blast Geale off his feet and promptly raise the white flag.

    Geale surrendered seconds later and looked as though he was ready to give the Victor Ortiz speech (they don't pay me enough to get hit like this).
    I guarantee you that the better GGG's opponenst are schooled....the more effectively GGG responds.
    Dirrell has no chance against GGG....way too fragile.
    And the more his opposition punches back....the more punches GGG lands.

    Everyone who saw GGG knows they saw something very very special.

    Wait till you see the next one. Sooner rather than later GGG will be such an attraction even those boxers who know they have no chance will be sprinting to sign the dotted line because of the financial reward.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 07-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.

  8. #88

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Can't elaborate in detail as our ISP mistakenly cancelled our account despite us actually over paying them. Seriously. And they say Oz is the land of opportunity. So, I only have a phone.

    3Gs application of both offence & defense was more seamless as an amateur IMO. Same with Tszyu.

    What happens sometimes when good amateurs turn pro & realize that both their power has been perhaps stunted or undervalued with amateur points system style, and that their style has developed in a manner that is more reliant upon crafty techniques than under appreciated power in the amateur 4 ranks.

    The result can often be a fighter that substitutes the above complexities for the love of punching.

    When that happens usually you get a guy that's a hitter that also takes someone q quite good & a mix of other issues for him to be beat. For these guys the majority of the pro boxing world is technically behind them anyway so none notices if they drop a few moves & recall them later.

    When a fighter opts not to substitute as above described, you get guys like Floyd & Rio.

    As far as 3G clearly not being a light middleweight is concerned. ..... Some things you can just tell.

  9. #89

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    My last post was mainly directed at Shadow.

    3G is very good and extremely strong. Going into the Geale fight he had a big psychological & physical advantage, but hey none of it was illegal.

    I can't see Ward enjoying all the talk about 3G for too long once he comes back. But he will have to make sure he has a warm up first.

    Also I won't be surprised to hear Floyd announce a Pacquiao fight next or the one after that.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    297

    Re: The Similarities Between Golovkin-Geale and Tszyu-Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Geale got dropped like a cornered rat trying to desperately claw his way out of a tight spot.
    One of your best ever, and great analogy.

    Thinking of Golovkin, I'm thinking of a pretty near perfect mixture of balance, technique and mental attributes. He has a way of executing technically exemplary punches with a boost by almost budo-like tension at the moment he hits. A man able to beat him must be a man of great ring generalship - a Hopkins, for instance - that still possesses the reflexes, strength and overall skill to give him fits and, last but not least, power to earn his respect. The only man out there that fits the description is Ward. It could be the first real superfight since Hagler-Leonard, minus the media hype.

    On another note, I was more impressed with how Golovkin handled Proksa than Geale. Proksa wasn't/isn't the biggest of names, but very talented, very tough, had toyed with solid veteran Sebastian Sylvester and basically made him quit, and most of all: awkward. I predicted Golovkin would be too much for Proksa, but couldn't believe the way he dominated him from the start. Having followed Proksa for a while, that fight was all I needed in order to know Golovkin was so much more than just the real thing. He's the real beast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •