English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Guillermo Rigondeaux The Next Finito Lopez?

Re: Is Guillermo Rigondeaux The Next Finito Lopez?

I don't see the comparison's to Ricardo Lopez. Lopez was a different breed to me, a once in a generation special fighter.

To me, Lopez possessed all the attributes of an all time great but never really got the proper recognition due to the weight class he fought in most of his career. He was almost perfect in his ring technique during his prime and rarely got hit. As a matter of fact, some would argue during his prime he was perfect. I can't remember him being hit clean very often during his prime.

I remember a fight back in March of 1997 against Mongkol Chareon. Lopez was dominating as usual but Chareon was tough as nails and would not go away. Anyway, I can't remember which round but it was later in the fight when Chareon caught Lopez with a flush hard punch. I almost fell out of my chair as I could not recall anyone ever landing clean on Lopez until that moment. And the real funny part was Lopez came back to his corner after the round and apologized for getting hit.

Lopez was not only a great defensive fighter but what made him so special was that he was aggressive in so many of his fights. He knew the exact right times to throw, at the correct range and right angles to hand and be unable to be countered by his opponents. He was not bring to watch at all and fought in a style that most others would take a lot of punches. But Lopez almost never got hit clean during his prime.

Not to mention, as pointed out in the article, Lopez also possessed one punch power. He was as close to a "perfect" fighter as they come.

Rigo is very good but he is no Lopez. Then again, I don't think we will ever see another fighter like Lopez again.

Re: Is Guillermo Rigondeaux The Next Finito Lopez?

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I don't see the comparison's to Ricardo Lopez. Lopez was a different breed to me, a once in a generation special fighter.

To me, Lopez possessed all the attributes of an all time great but never really got the proper recognition due to the weight class he fought in most of his career. He was almost perfect in his ring technique during his prime and rarely got hit. As a matter of fact, some would argue during his prime he was perfect. I can't remember him being hit clean very often during his prime.

I remember a fight back in March of 1997 against Mongkol Chareon. Lopez was dominating as usual but Chareon was tough as nails and would not go away. Anyway, I can't remember which round but it was later in the fight when Chareon caught Lopez with a flush hard punch. I almost fell out of my chair as I could not recall anyone ever landing clean on Lopez until that moment. And the real funny part was Lopez came back to his corner after the round and apologized for getting hit.

Lopez was not only a great defensive fighter but what made him so special was that he was aggressive in so many of his fights. He knew the exact right times to throw, at the correct range and right angles to hand and be unable to be countered by his opponents. He was not bring to watch at all and fought in a style that most others would take a lot of punches. But Lopez almost never got hit clean during his prime.

Not to mention, as pointed out in the article, Lopez also possessed one punch power. He was as close to a "perfect" fighter as they come.

Rigo is very good but he is no Lopez. Then again, I don't think we will ever see another fighter like Lopez again.
    Lovely post and breakdown of Finito. Apologizing for getting hit is hilarious.

That said, like Radam says, I think Rigo is even better. The Cuban is a once-in-a-lifetime talent.