English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Boxers Still Soak Their Skin in Brine ?

Do Boxers Still Soak Their Skin in Brine ?

This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I actually don't know.

During the early days of gloved boxing, it was standard to soak one's face and hands in brine after a workout. Most fighters used only a simple solution of salt and water, but Jack Dempsey reportedly favored beef brine. His ruddy complexion was attributed to it. The brine supposedly toughened the skin and made a boxer less susceptible to cuts.

I have this vision of a boxer walking into a kosher deli and soaking his head in a barrel of pickles. Pass this suggestion along to Chris Algieri.

Advanced Users

Re: Do Boxers Still Soak Their Skin in Brine ?

I will let someone else go first, but then I will kill it. The actuality and reality of da game are surrounded by bodyguards of myths. Sort of like the late, great Willie Pep winning rounds without "landing" punches. The last thing that you want in boxing is "toughened skin."

You want your skin to be loosey-goosey and soft like density mattress foam, so it won't badly chap, bruise or bust open. Holla!

I have not heard of fighters doing that in many years...decades, in fact. There is nothing which can be done to "harden" the skin, making them more resistent to cuts. What usually causes the cuts is the skin slamming against the underlying bone of the eye socket.

Eat the pickles, instead.

-Randy G.

I've seen petrol used to toughen skin and bone. But brine in recent times is far from it. There is more information these days. Easily accessible, which will teach a fighter what his body needs to become strong and in top condition.

The info is at every fighters disposal. To seek it is a decision they must make themselves.

Or you could just ask RG...

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I have not heard of fighters doing that in many years...decades, in fact. There is nothing which can be done to "harden" the skin, making them more resistent to cuts. What usually causes the cuts is the skin slamming against the underlying bone of the eye socket.

Eat the pickles, instead.

-Randy G.
    One thing for sure is a proper diet deceases the chances of getting sliced and diced up because thick in the collagen -- glue that holds the body together -- keeps the skin moist, loosey-goosey and like bamboo. It bends, but is hard to crack, break or tear apart.

So much old skool maintenance and making right of da game have been lost to myths, lies and New Jack tries.

Toughening or hardening of the skin is a bunch of crap. Unless you mean it in a figure of speech way not to be easily cut, bust open and bruise. And you stop that from happening by softing of skin.

Like your feet, you want the skin on them soft. No bunions, corns, warts, scaling or cracking, etc., etc.

Soft, moist skin doesn't crack or open because of the super glue of good, strong collagen.

Ask the fighters -- like Tim Witherspoon and B-Hop -- who have a lot of it. How often have they been cut? Holla!

I distinctly remember Sugar Ray Leonard discussing the topic when he was asked about why he seemed resistant to cuts
    He said that soaking in salt water toughened the skin during an interview to publicize the Benitez fight.
    Ray also said he soaked his hands in water containing slices of oranges as a remedy for swollen knuckles.
    I had a mental image of him using an old oak barrel the way he described it.

At the time of the discussion Leonard was driving his hand into a bucket of sand to harden his knuckles.

Of course we could only watch in awe while we pondered privately where we could conveniently find a bucket of sand.

Leonard was full of tips for aspiring boxers which served to elevated his mystique to mythic proportions.

Duran also mentioned the brine treatment.
    But didn't say if he used the time honored technique or not.

Personally I've spent a lot of time swimming in saltwater but don't recall having enhanced cut resistant skin.

You don't hear discussions about the subject too much these days... anymore than you hear about boxers pounding slabs of beef ribs in a walk in freezer like Joe Frazier did.
    It seems that many of the antiquated ways of boxing have been discarded in favor of more scientific methods.

Administrator

While they don't, they should. Last fighter I knew that did was Vito Antuofermo, who knew a thing or two about cuts and blood.

Like Rad said, you want soft skin, not tough. What I think you meant was to make it tough(er) to get cut. And yes it works.

And for the record I score defense, (Albeit I may be the last human being on this planet doing so) so yeah, if you spent one hundred and eighty seconds making a guy miss you wouldn't need to throw any punches to win the round. But don't try this at home. I am a trained professional in a world of appointees who are most often completely clueless to what they are actually witnessing.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    While they don't, they should. Last fighter I knew that did was Vito Antuofermo, who knew a thing or two about cuts and blood.

Like Rad said, you want soft skin, not tough. What I think you meant was to make it tough(er) to get cut. And yes it works.

And for the record I score defense, (Albeit I may be the last human being on this planet doing so) so yeah, if you spent one hundred and eighty seconds making a guy miss you wouldn't need to throw any punches to win the round. But don't try this at home. I am a trained professional in a world of appointees who are most often completely clueless to what they are actually witnessing.
    Vito soaked his skin in brine? That just about sinks it for brine doing any good for preventing cuts or toughening up the skin. Vito was the most busted up fighter this side of Mustafa Hamsho the world has ever seen.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Vito soaked his skin in brine? That just about sinks it for brine doing any good for preventing cuts or toughening up the skin. Vito was the most busted up fighter this side of Mustafa Hamsho the world has ever seen.
    @tRoast. Yeah, I realized after I posted it that I should have added that this was recommended to him very late in his career and he said he wished he knew about it sooner as he never suffered the problem again after he started the soaking process.

Administrator

...and again, you wouldn't want to toughen the skin, if that's even possible.