English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPOILER-----Rigo fight

Re: SPOILER-----Rigo fight

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Here goes the ight -- I mean fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0aOKQcpuk. Holla!
    Thanks for the link.

The ref had signalled for the action to resume.
    100% legal.

The doors are wide open for Rigo. Now that he's shaken off the yoke of Top Rank. Opportunity abounds at Showtime.
    Santa Cruz and Abner Mares have expressed a desire to face Rigo. Rigo has also said he word fight VLo.
    While Frampton has no interest in Rigo there are now more opportunities available than ever.
    I think he will receive wider exposure as a result of becoming.a free agent

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I can't be 100% sure from the video I saw and maybe the ref did say something to Rigo's opponent but it doesn't appear as if he was allowed sufficient time from that head butt. Again though I cannot tell for sure from the video and maybe there was something said that made the ref waive the fighters back together.

First of all, completely legal punch. Remember, protect yourself at all times.

Was it a sucker punch though? Absolutely.

Here is what bugs me...Rigo could have knocked this guy out easily without doing that. He could have looked sensational and got some buzz going. I don't know why he did that, it was completely unneccessary.

Ameyseng, I agree with you that fighters should not touch gloves in the ring. There is no need for that while the fight is taking place. There will be plenty of time after the contest to be friends.
    I agree that sometimes touching gloves is ridiculous [Pacquaio vs Mosley is a good example, if I'm not mistaken] but it takes 2 to do it, so what do you do ? Take a point away from each of them ? Disqualify them ? I don't think it is enforcible !

The ref waved the fighters together, so the punch was legal. Cheap and sneaky...but legal. The ref could have give Rigo's opponent more time to recover, but he didn't. So, Rigo went back into action, and ended the fight with his "Trick Shot."

Okay, Rigo has become a "bad boy." Guess what? His exposure--and stock--just went up. There are several big fights for him. Of course, Rigo v V-Lo is a dream match. Bring on Abner Mares. Jhonny Gonzales. Leo Santa Cruz.

Earlier this year, Bob Arum had bashed Rigo for being a boring fighter.

What do you think now?

-Randy G.

@oubobcat when the ref signals the start, you fight. There are a million fighters who have pretended to touch gloves and come up behind with a combo. You have to exercise the right caution and protect yourself at all times no matter the situation. It's the golden rule of boxing.

You let your standards slip and you pay. It's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    @oubobcat when the ref signals the start, you fight. There are a million fighters who have pretended to touch gloves and come up behind with a combo. You have to exercise the right caution and protect yourself at all times no matter the situation. It's the golden rule of boxing.

You let your standards slip and you pay. It's simple.
    I agree, the punch was completely legal. There is no disputing that. Its protect yourself at all times.

If I were a trainer though I would instruct my fighters to never touch gloves with your opponent. You can be friends after the fight, can discuss anything that happened in the ring after the fight (accidental low blows, etc), etc. But not during the fight, it should be all business.

Advanced Users

But if the referee says to touch up, you must. If he doesn't you don't. But if you do, beware. There TsOTT everywhere. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    But if the referee says to touch up, you must. If he doesn't you don't. But if you do, beware. There TsOTT everywhere. Holla!
    Not me I aint touching sh#t.

F that.

Time in is time in for me.

You're not sneaking blasting me out of there.

Just watched it. Good KO for the Cuban. Nice statement to make for his last fight with Top Rank.

The guy had his hands up above the belt so he knew it was go time. His jaw was just not ready to take that shot. I agree that you only touch gloves at the beginning of the fight and the beginning of the final round unless the ref makes you.
    My coach would scream at me in the corner if I ever let a guy tap gloves during the fight.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Not me I aint touching sh#t.

F that.

Time in is time in for me.

You're not sneaking blasting me out of there.
    The referee always win. You haven't seen how he makes the fighters touch when they don't want to? Holla!